• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Survivor Appendix N Authors- LEIBER WINS!

Dausuul

Legend
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 14
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 14
Merritt, A. 12
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 6
St. Clair, Margaret 8
Tolkien, J.R.R. 9
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 16

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 14
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 14
Merritt, A. 12
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 6
St. Clair, Margaret 6
Tolkien, J.R.R. 10
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 16

Ed Laprade

First Post
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 14 +1 = 15
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 14
Merritt, A. 12
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 6
St. Clair, Margaret 6
Tolkien, J.R.R. 10 -2 = 8
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 16

Invisible Stalker

First Post
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 15
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 14
Merritt, A. 12
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 6
St. Clair, Margaret 6
Tolkien, J.R.R. 10
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 14

Dausuul

Legend
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 15
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 14
Merritt, A. 12
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 6
St. Clair, Margaret 6
Tolkien, J.R.R. 9 - fixing
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 14

werecorpse

Adventurer
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 15
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 14
Merritt, A. 12-2=10
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 6
St. Clair, Margaret 6
Tolkien, J.R.R. 9 +1=10
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 14

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
We had a thread about this very thing several months ago. You participated in it. So either you have the worst memory in history, or you're being disingenuous when you say you don't even know if he said those things. But even outside of that, it's pretty common knowledge how Gary felt about the whole thing, and it's extremely easy to Google. Here's one thing he responded with, way back in 1974 regarding what influence Tolkien had.

I hope this means when we have this topic in another six months from now, you won't make another post about how you've never heard of him saying that.

So I'm not going to do your research for you. Just as an FYI, when I come into a thread late, I rarely read all of the posts up to where I enter, and I often skip posts if there are a lot of them. Don't assume that I've seen posts. You made the claim here, so you need to back it up here. Telling me Gygax said something, and then telling me that it's "common knowledge" doesn't cut it as proof of anything.

Burroughs, Edgar Rice 15
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 14 -2 = 12
Merritt, A. 10
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 6
St. Clair, Margaret 6
Tolkien, J.R.R. 10 + 1 = 11
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 14

chrisrtld

Adventurer
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 15
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 10
Merritt, A. 10
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 6
St. Clair, Margaret 6
Tolkien, J.R.R. 12
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 14

happyhermit

Adventurer
Really I’ve read very few of these authors but her biography struck me for some reason so I figured I’d champion her. Didn’t expect her to win, but found it annoying that so early in the game she was getting downvotes for being a “threat” to another author, which launched my vendetta against Tolkien fans.

There were 15 or 20 other authors to downvote, many of which had never gotten an upvote. Might be wise to go after those first rather than get into an endgame battle so early.

So it’ll be -2 for Tolkien every day from me. Do as you wish with MSC, I’ll find another author to champion if she goes down.

Fair enough, I will only feel sorta bad then, at least it isn't your most favorite-ist person ever that I'm targeting. I think you misconstrued my reasons for downvoting them though, it wasn't anything even slightly strategic. I just don't feel it makes any sense for them to be higher than a bunch of other authors on the list, either in terms of quality of writing or of influence on D&D.

Burroughs, Edgar Rice 15
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 10
Merritt, A. 10
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 6
St. Clair, Margaret 6
Tolkien, J.R.R. 13
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 14

Also to those who mentioned it upthread, these days I also pay professionals to read to me! It has allowed me to get through some books that I probably never would have stuck with but ended up being very satisfying. Sure, some books (and movies, etc.) expect you to sit through way too much dross and expect the last few scenes to make up for it, but many are just a bit hard to get into and listening has helped that. Yeah audiobooks! Yes, I said that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads