D&D 5E SURVIVOR Supplement Edition--Volo's Guide Wins!

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I guess this is where grognardiness comes to the fore for some of us.... I dislike Eberron, and am only really comfortable running (and playing) in a more old-school setting built around some of the tenets of real world Medieval history, Tolkien and 1E expectations. Greyhawk is very much my world of choice - pre wars. I would never allow monstrous race PCs in a game I DM unless the party was entirely comprised of one race, because the hatred between races (and even tribes within a race) is very real, and unsurmountable - Elves will ALWAYS hate Hobgoblins with no exceptions. Gnomes and Kobolds are mortal enemies - and my Kobolds are NOT draconic! Plus, Half Orcs are almost always the product of sexual violence between a male Orc and a Human Female, as a loving relationship between the races is not possible, and any human female who has a willing sexual relationship is totally depraved. These aspects of my game lore are non-negotiable.

That why Volo's, to me, is little more than another Monster Manual - albeit a very good one, as the sections of monster ecology are excellent

It's the love of history, and developing a somewhat grounded, more historical feel in my games, that made Creative Campaigning really resonate with me when I 1st set eyes on it recently - because there are sections in it that promote and assist with my desired style of play. I work on trying to ensure technology and social attitudes align with the time-period too, and frequently use themes of religious, racial and sexual persecution, especially in defining the attitudes of the enemy. I guess the modern ideal of an anything goes, heroic from the outset, everything is redeemable style of fantasy just ain't my thing.

Yeah, no part of holds any interest at all for me, and at least one part of it produced a much more visceral reaction in me.

To each their own, but for me that's a brand of role-playing I'm fairly happy the hobby has largely left behind it.

Remove ads