• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swamp based Modules

I am planning an adventure set in an abandoned city that has been reclaimed by the large swamp that surrounds it.

Are there any pre-existing adventure modules set in swamp or swamp-like conditions? Or, if I should be so lucky, that involve a partially submerged city or ruins?

GAAAHHH

First Post
I am planning an adventure set in an abandoned city that has been reclaimed by the large swamp that surrounds it.

Are there any pre-existing adventure modules set in swamp or swamp-like conditions? Or, if I should be so lucky, that involve a partially submerged city or ruins?

What edition are you using? There is a basic D&D adventure called Quagmire that you might be able to pull some ideas from. AD&D has Danger at Dunwater, but it has lizardmen, and not a ruined city. I'm not sure, but I think Ravager of Time might be set in a swamp.

3rd edition has Beyond the Tower from Green Ronin and Legacy of the Savage Kings from Goodman Games. I'm not sure about others.

I'm fairly sure 4th edition doesn't have any swamp adventures yet, but I could be wrong.

Edit- I was wrong. King of the Trollhaunt Warrens has a fairly large swamp area and ruins. There are well-defined paths so characters don't have to go into the swamp, so you may want to expand the swamp and/or make the paths less well defined to get the feel you are looking for.

Last edited:

sjmiller

Explorer
Well, there's the old AD&D module Tomb of the Lizard King. It has a big swamp, ruins, lizardmen, a sunken place to adventure, and more! What's not to like? I just recently ran my 3.0 party through a modified version of it. They had a blast.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Not sure that it's exactly what you are looking for but I got a ton of mileage out of the WFRP suppliment Barony of the Damned. It's got one particularly cool (and hilarious) segment where there are a pair of swamp villages who are at odds over a pig. It includes a new career path called the Swampaire (which wouldn't convert directly to 4e but might provide some inspiration for an NPC or three).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I recommend X-6: Quagmire!. It takes place in a giant salt marsh called The Serpent Penninsula. It has a clear, straightforward "save the day" plot: the city of Quagmire is slowly sinking into the sea, and is beseiged by swamp monsters as well. To save the city, the heroes must find and clear out an ancient, lost city hidden somewhere within the swamp.

It's a pretty good module, all things considered. It details a new portion of the game world, and comes with a bunch of new monsters and magic items.

Remove ads