Swamp Trek III: The Search for Ter-raen

jkason

First Post
Weel Naxel, human cleric

Weel joins in the toast, then rises to excuse himself.

"I think it's been a very long day," he says with a tired smile. "I'm going to try to get a full night's rest in a real bed. The road's waiting tomorrow."

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: Sorry for the delays. Bit of story I want to get in here before the night ends, and I had to do some digging through the old thread for it. Then the weekend got busy on me, and, well, here we are. Tomorrow, I hope...

covaithe

Explorer
As you sit, raising glasses to the Marchwands, an elderly man hobbles over to the table with the aid of a cane. He squints at Gildrim, and asks in a querulous voice, "Par'n me, maister dwarf. You wouldn't be happenin' t'be kin with another dwarf, passed this way maybe two or three weeks gone? I'm sorry to have to tell ye, 'e went into the swamp. We ain't seen 'im since. Most like, the lizardfolk got 'im. Terrible savages, they are. Why, one time..."

[sblock=Gildrim]ooc: I'll let you decide whether you remember Haskell from last time. [/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
Gildrim starts in his chair. "Eh? Hrumm." He stops with mouth agape. If he says that he is the very dwarf, then they'll be wanting to know what happened, how he evaded certain death, and why he's back here now with new companions. But if he denies all knowledge, the villagers will no doubt spin wilder and wilder stories about his supposed demise at the hands of lizardfolk. And has Erf been keeping a low profile at Sister Anemone's, or has the gregarious green fellow visited Cragger's Rest?

"Eh, sit ye doon, sit ye doon, an' whit woud ye say tae a drink oan my purse?" he says to gain time. Well, if Cyian's past performance here is anything to go by, then honesty is the best policy.

"Ye may nicht recognise me noo, but that wis me, last muin. Ah made it oot ay th' swamp in ane piece, as ye can see! Frae th' north, sae Ah didnae come back throu Cragger's Rest. Ye knaw, Ah saw nae but ane lizardfowk an' he wisnae sae saivage."

Gildrim hastens on. "But thaur wis deid ghouls, an' a cockodrill mair than twice as lang as this table, an' a snake near as big. An' we didnae find whit we wis lookin' for. Weel, some ay us hae left off th' sairchin', but Ah thocht Ah'd mak ane mair trial."

covaithe

Explorer
"Eh, sit ye doon, sit ye doon, an' whit woud ye say tae a drink oan my purse?"

"Why, don't mind if I do, quite neighborly of you, says I, that's what."

When Gildrim finishes his tale, and the old man finishes puzzling the meaning out of the words, he sucks air noisily through the space where his teeth used to be. "Oooh, ghouls, you don't say? And giant crocodiles? Aye, reminds me of my younger days, it does. I remember once when I... er... where was I, again? Ah, yes, crocodiles. Hope Corvin don't run into any of those. Those lizardfolk, I bet he can handle, right enough, just like I taught 'im. But a croc, they can be mite... you know... What's that? Oh, yes. Corvin, you remember him. Sheriff, real dour type. Needs a good woman, I say. Corvin, I tell him -- I've told him a dozen times if I'd told him once -- a good woman, that's what you need. A few more pounds around the middle and a few more hours in a bedroom, 'stead of thwacking that sword about, do you a world of good. Maybe unclench what needs unclenching, if you get my drift. But no, wouldn't listen to me. Weren't but two weeks since you'd disappeared, when he talked half the young hotheads in these parts into followin' him into the swamp, lookin' for you, master dwarf. Or, leastways, lookin' for someone to thump on your behalf."

He looks discontentedly at his tankard, which has somehow become empty despite his hardly having stopped talking to breathe for several minutes.

Richard Rawen

First Post
"Pardon, but have those young men and Mr. Corvin returned?"
Richard has leaned in, and only just realizes that he's jumped into the conversation after he's blurted out his query. Looking a bit embarassed, he leans back a bit, but looks at the oldster intently for the answer.

Remove ads