• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swashbuckling/Seafaring campaigns?

I have always wanted to play a swashbuckler/pirate, so if there's space count me in too.

Btw. I think that AEGs Swashbuckling Adventures is a great book too.

Bob Aberton

First Post
I would like to say, thank you for all the replies so far.

I don't have AEG's Swashbuckling Adventures, but I'll have to definately take a look.

I do, however, have Living Imagination's Broadsides!, a most excellent resource for swashbuckling campaigns.

Regrettably, I do not have any issues of Dragon Magazine issues, so I'm pretty well in the dark about the parry rules mentioned - would someone like to fill me in?

I would probably be thinking of either a PbP game or a play-by-chatroom game. From what I hear, PbEM can be pretty slow.

I'll post something in the IC forum about a possible swashbuckling game DMed by myself online, so if you're interested in playing in such a game, drop by the IC forum in the next few days and take a look.

I'm leaning toward a Play-by-Post game in the IC forum as of now...

Keep the replies coming...

dead_radish

Explorer
Play by post is usually the best way to go - it's easier than trying to organize people in a chat room...

For the Dragon - basically, they introduced a parry feat chain. You really should pick up the most recent Dragon, if you can - there's about 30 pages on Swashbuckling campaigns in DnD - very nice.

Bob Aberton

First Post
Thanks...

I've never purchased Dragon before - I assume I can get online, but where would be the best place?

Also, I've put up a thread in the IC Forum. The game will be a Play-by-Post game in a homebrew setting. See the thread For details. It's in the IC Forum, and it's title is "Deep Water and Shoals - A Swashbuckling Campaign."

The Link to my swashbuckling campaign PbP thread.

Last edited:

Bob Aberton

First Post
...and a *BUMP* for the night.

Tonguez, Meepo, Howling Coyote, Jolly Giant, kenjib, if you're still at least mildly interested, check out the link to my shiny new thread in the IC Forum. You can follow the link in the my previous post, or you can just look for an IC Thread entitled "Deep Water and Shoals - A Swashbuckling Campaign." What do you think of the name, by the way?

Robbert Raets

Explorer
Me too! (Not: I am not an AOL los... User..)

I love Swashbuckling! Dragon #301 was a great inspiration to me.
Now for some Monkey Island..... :)

Sign me up!

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
I currently run a swashbuckling-themed game over on the Wizards of the Coast boards -- it's not seafaring yet, at least neither of the adventures I'm running now, but the one I'm playing in is. The game is called Relative Entropy and can be found at this link:

http://boards.wizards.com/community/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=289

I tinkered with the D&D rules until it was perfect for the swashbuckly feel I wanted. I adapted the wounds/vitality system and class-based defense, and my very own Luck & Stunt system is also incorporated (loosely based on d20 Modern combined with Dragon Fist). The technology level is probably closer to Arcanum than Swashbuckling Adventures, but I do use both as resources. All in all, you could say that this game takes place after the classic Age of Swashbuckling, but before the Age of Steam -- in the Age of Reason, the period of the American Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars. There's still lots of swashbuckling, just less exploration. If you ever saw Bruce Campbell's short-lived "Jack of All Trades" series, you'll know the period I shoot for. :)

Last edited:

Meridian

First Post
FYI, I didn't see this mentioned on any of the posts on this thread, but 7th Sea is coming out in d20 format, and from what I understand, it is an excellent swashbuckling/seafaring setting.

Ace

Adventurer
Meridian said:
FYI, I didn't see this mentioned on any of the posts on this thread, but 7th Sea is coming out in d20 format, and from what I understand, it is an excellent swashbuckling/seafaring setting.

They changed the name to Swashbuckling Adventures and there is a basic book (30 bucks and very crunchy) and a supplement, like a hero guide thing which is decent but not my cuppa.

Next up I belive is The Magic of Thea (sp?) and it sounds cool

Sanackranib

First Post
swashbuckler

I am playing a rogue/warlock in a current game in a world where weilders of magic are burned at the stake. So I pass my character off as a swashbuckler. Our party has reciently come into a great deal of wealth and our campaign is going to very soon take on a desidedidly Count of Monte Cristo-ish flair. we are buying an island and a ship so I expect to have a lot of sea-adventures very soon. The DM's world is made up of islands so it's going to be the best way to travel. I'm really looking forward to it. The last swashbuckler campaign I was in proved to be a lot of fun.

Be sure to put in NPC's who need help and problems to overcome not just ship is attacked by . . . encounters and you will keep the parties intrest.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads