• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(SWd20) Building a better, badder Vader

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
I plan to start a SWd20 game soon with a new group, and since I am going to situate the campaign between EpIII and EpIV, I plan to use Darth Vader to put the fear of gawd into anyone what wants to run a Jedi.

But anyway ... one thing I noticed that is lacking from the SWd20 Core book and the Arms and Equipment guide is rules on cybernetics. Since I have the book, I plan to just use the cybernetics rules from D20 Future.

I know what I plan to give the man in the durasteel mask, but what are your ideas? Using D20 Future, what cybernetic attachments would you use to build a better Vader?

Edit: I am low on sourcebooks for SWd20, so if cyber rules appear in a sourcebook, let me know so I can check it out. All I have are the core book, Arms and Equipment, and the Ultimate Alien Anthology.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Aha! I knew one of them had to have it. All I have to do is track down that book.

It's not as hard to find as Starships of the Galaxy, is it? :confused:

Nope, its one of the post-Revised books and those aren't hard to find at all. Its also a very, very good book overall, and provides tons of great options beyond just the Cybernetics rules. :)

Yeah, I'd also like to recommend the Hero's Guide, the best actual "crunch" book made for the d20 SWRPG. It also has 3 separate web enhancements. Around 30 prestige classes (some of them quite excellent), 90-something feats (including big expansions of martial arts styles from the EU including Teras Kasi and Echani). "Factions": being a system for tracking your support from a lot of organizations and feats that play off of them (get in the Bothans or Hutt's good graces for example and get special favors or privledges from those organizations). Rules for "blue glowie" force spirits, new force traditions, clarifications and expansions of combat rules. Rules for starting credits for characters above 1st level and taking out loans. Loads of info on cybernetics and droids.

The sad thing is, I know people who ignored the book because they thought the name was too similar to the Hero Builders Guidebook from D&D and figured it was a lame generic "how to play a Star Wars character" book. If you're running a campaign, I can't recommend it enough.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Thanks guys ... I'm getting into the d20 Star Wars game late in its history, so I'm trying to backpedal and get the good books before they all disappear. lol

This is my Wish List so far, of accessories I think should be the most useful. Any suggestions on which ones are more or less useful?

The two planet books (Core Worlds and Outer Rim)
SWD20 GM Screen
Galactic Campaign Guide
Ultimate Adversaries
Hero's Guide (already mentioned above)
Starships of the Galaxy (already know this one is OOP and hard to find)

I know there are many more sourcebooks, but which of them are the most useful?

Hmm... come to think of it this is worth its own thread ...

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I never imagined Vader as particularly over the top when it came to cybernetics. I figured he had the standards: arms, hands, legs, feet, etc. These would probably give some nice enhancements. Obviously cybernetic arms are always better :)

Definitely consider giving him an Aura of Menace kind of thing, though. I don't recall Vader's statblock exactly, but as far as I remember there's no real rule for this. Part Vader's presence was the absolute fear he inspired in nearly everyone (except maybe Admiral Ozzel. He was dumb). Not everyone is necessarily going to run wetting their pants, but there should be a loss of concentration, the kind of dread that lets you keep fighting, but knots up your stomach like a ball of ice. Perhaps all within 30' (maybe more?) must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 Vader's HD + Cha) or suffer a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, saves, and checks until Vader leaves. Those who succeed are immune for the duration of the encounter (or 24 hours?).

I always liked this ability. I think Vader deserves it more than anyone. Enjoy using him! :]

Breakdaddy

First Post
DnDChick said:
Thanks guys ... I'm getting into the d20 Star Wars game late in its history, so I'm trying to backpedal and get the good books before they all disappear. lol

This is my Wish List so far, of accessories I think should be the most useful. Any suggestions on which ones are more or less useful?

The two planet books (Core Worlds and Outer Rim)
SWD20 GM Screen
Galactic Campaign Guide
Ultimate Adversaries
Hero's Guide (already mentioned above)
Starships of the Galaxy (already know this one is OOP and hard to find)

I know there are many more sourcebooks, but which of them are the most useful?

Hmm... come to think of it this is worth its own thread ...

I recently paid 40 dollars for a copy of SotG on ebay, so yes, it is a bit steep comparatively. It is also a nice book to have, as it details some starships that are otherwise hard to find stats for. If you are going to GM the game I strongly suggest getting either(or both) of the world guides (Coruscant and the Core Worlds or Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds). They are good guides with nice adventure seeds interspersed throughout. The Rebellion Era Sourcebook is probably THE most well-written of all the D20 SW guides, and worth having regardless of what era you play in.

Breakdaddy said:
I recently paid 40 dollars for a copy of SotG on ebay, so yes, it is a bit steep comparatively.

Ouch...man I'm glad I got it back when it was still in print. Its a good book, but I wouldn't pay that much for the small softcover.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads