• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[SWD20] Two-weapon fighting, and two-handed weapons with lightsabers

Bozidar

First Post
Something that I can't find in the Core Rulebook is information about two-handed light sabers, or short light sabers.

They mention that the focusing lense can control the lenght of the weapon, but not much else.

Couldn't someone essentially have a "greatsword" styled lightsaber by making it very long?

Couldn't someone essentially have a "shortsword" styled lightsaber by making it shorter and easier to wield in the off hand?

Would strength modifiers apply as in D&D, if this is the case?

Also, they speak very little about the crystals that are used to make the lightsabers. It might have been invented by the people who made the video game (knights of the old republic), but are there special crystals that can bestow certain abilities to a lightsaber?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
There are numerous different ideas about how lightsabers work, but not much canon. I'd allow the smaller sabre; Yoda's doesn't seem to be as big as the other Jedis'.

It'd be darn cool to have an 8th sabre form, one that focused on using two sabres like Niten.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Bozidar said:
Something that I can't find in the Core Rulebook is information about two-handed light sabers, or short light sabers.

They mention that the focusing lense can control the lenght of the weapon, but not much else.

Couldn't someone essentially have a "greatsword" styled lightsaber by making it very long?

Yes ... it wouldn't necessarily do more damage, but it would have Reach. It would suffer from the same effects as a Reach weapon (i.e. can't attack adjacent squares, etc.) See the article I link below.

Couldn't someone essentially have a "shortsword" styled lightsaber by making it shorter and easier to wield in the off hand?

Yes. Short lightsabers are apparently in the Power of the Jedi Sourcebook.

There was a recent "Jedi Counseling" article about this and other lightsabers sizes/modifications at the Wizards site:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20050519jc65

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Actually they are not in the Power of the Jedi Sourcebook. (It was in Star Wars Gamer #5) AMG and myself had to make our own mechanics for it and then we corrected them with Jedi Counseling 64.

One of the Three Hero’s Guide Web Enhancements has a few styles that really make two weapon fighting with a lightsaber both cool and dangerous. :cool:

Last edited:

AmorphousBlob

First Post
Short lightsabers aren't in the Power of the Jedi Sourcebook, but they do have dual-phase lightsabers in there, IIRC. The dual-phase sabers are essentially large sized lightsabers that could have the blade extended to become a reach weapon or shortened to become a standard lightsaber. Of course, you have to deal with the fact that it's large sized as a drawback.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Thanks for the links!

I'm going to use the 'blocking' rules in my all-jedi campaign - where a melee combatant gets a +4 on attack rolls if the opponent cannot block his or her attacks.

feralw01f

First Post
DnDChick said:
Yes ... it wouldn't necessarily do more damage, but it would have Reach. It would suffer from the same effects as a Reach weapon (i.e. can't attack adjacent squares, etc.)

Why would it not hit adjacent squares? It's just a longer beam of energy. Since its a just a big line of light and not a spear or something, i think a jedi spinning in a circle will hit adjacent sqaures as well with his extended saber :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads