• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Switching from a 2H weapon to two weapons

Kaledor

First Post
What are some of the ways to switch from a 2H weapon to two weapons mid round, without using all of your actions?

(reason: I'm looking at a build that has some powers that require two weapons and some powers that work best with a single weapon wielded two-handed)

Some of my thoughts:

Use a Versatile one-handed weapon (hit with it 2H for +1dam) then draw the second off-hand weapon, perhaps using Quick Draw or some similar feat that reduces draw time to a free action.

Use a Versatile one-handed weapon like a longsword and equip a gauntlet or spiked gauntlet in your off-hand. You still use the longsword 2Handed (for +1dam), but then get a free action switch to two-weapon fighting (basically let go with your off-hand).

So, first off, do my options above seem legal? And second, can anyone think of any other ways to switch from two-handed single weapon fighting to two-weapon fighting in the same round (without spending a ton of actions).

Thanks.

Alukane

First Post
With the "Spiked chain training" feat you gain proficiency with the spiked chain and you can treat it as a double weapon, each end is a light blade that deals 2d4 damage, the secondary end gains the off-hand property and the primary end gains the stout property, so you can switch freely from 2H to TWF.

And it's a pretty cool weapon ;)

Heroes of the Forgotten Lands has a Master At Arms Expertise feat that allows you to (I think) swap weapons for a minor action. But it would take another minor to sheathe down to one handed.

The Urgrosh is a damn good weapon for mixing 1 and 2 handed fighting that way. It's a Stout double weapon with a d12 head and a d6 head - you use the d12 head for your 2 handed powers as it's Stout :) (It's also defensive making it a good weapon all round). And if anyone objects that double weapons are silly, tell them it's an iron-bound pollax with a butt-spike. A common knightly weapon designed to deal with other people in plate armour. Because it's a relatively popular historical weapon* it's the only double weapon I allow in my games.

* Only for a small period, granted. It was designed to do one thing - defeat someone clad head to toe in plate armour. And it does that very well. Against someone not wearing plate there are better weapons.

Nichwee

First Post
You can also go with a Paired Weapon that is Versatile - but this only works if you can wield a one-handed weapon in your offhand like a 2WF Ranger.

Then you can switch from 1 weapon to 2, or vice versa, for a minor action - or a free action if you take Quick Draw.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Superior Weapon Proficiency: Urgrosh

It has the stout property so you can treat it as a 2 handed weapon, and it's a double weapon so you can treat it as two weapons.

(Also works with other double weapons with the stout property, but Urgrosh has the best damage with the primary end).

Kaledor

First Post
So let me see if I get this (first time with a double weapon in 4e):

The Urgosh is a double weapon with the stout and defensive abilities. Main head: d12, other end: d6 (is it autmatically "Off-hand"?)

I hold the weapon in both hands. At any given point in a round I can decide between striking with a single end (using the Stout property... do I get the +1 extra damage for wielding it two-handed?) --OR-- using both ends.

So, if a power requires two melee weapon attacks (like a Ranger melee power), I would attack with the d12 and the d6. If a power called for a single 2Handed melee attack (like a Barbarian power), I would attack with the d12 end.

Now, how does the Defensive property apply? Does it apply as long as I hold the Urgosh?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads