Switching from fantasy to scifi

Twichyboy

First Post
Hello everyone, with half of my current gaming group split and two new players looking for a game to play I've decided I wanted to DM a scifi rpg, mostly homebrew

My problem is that Ive never dm'd anything outside of dnd and spelljammer which although is mostly is in space has dungeons and the basic flair, and since my other players also are used to the dnd norms may be offput by the gameplay differences

For example dungeons don't exist in the form everyone's used too, and focus switches from melee focus to ranged combat and more role playing then usual

I'm wondering how I can make these changes and still keep a dnd focused group interested? (ie what do I replace dungeons with for someone that's more dungeon crawl focused)

I'm aiming for more of a star wars feel then a dnd feeling thing, but without star wars setting

darkwing

First Post
Our DM in D&D 4e sent us through a portal to the Marvel Universe and we became Super Heroes. Same "crunch" abilities as our D&D characters but re-imagined "fluff" (my great axe turned into wolverine's claws but same damage, to-hit, etc...). It worked much better than I expected and was tons of fun. You might try something similar.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
expedition to barrier peaks then send them into space.

sci-fi still has mine complexes, industrial complexes and alien nests that look like dungeons. Even a starbase (or a Death Star) can pass as a dungeon. Perhaps look at star wars or some other sci-fantasy setting as a bridge...

A

amerigoV

Before getting too far ahead, I would confirm with your players your thoughts. Assuming they want dungeon crawls in space might derail you before the campaign gets off the ground.

"It's like Star Wars, but no Jedi plus dungeons" does not scream sci fi to me ( but it may to others, that is why I suggest laying that one out there for your players)

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
One of the earliest Traveller modules was a dungeon crawl. Exploring a derelict space stasion. And there was the OTrek episode with the PCs (Kirk and Spock) hunting for a killer (the Horta) in some mine tunnels. So it can be done with a little thought. Give the place a lot of hidey holes and hand-to-hand combat becomes relevant.

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
Dark Heresy & Rogue Trader have plenty of room for site based (ie. dungeon) adventures. All while suffering through the bloodiest regime in human history and hearing only the laughter of thirsting gods...you know...light hearted stuff :)

Shadowrun...isn't my personal fav, but it's basically D&D with the internet and super guns. Easy enough to cast it into spaaaaaaace.

My current favourite is Eclipse Phase. But that is more hard sci-fi and less space opera like Star Wars. Still...it is awesome sauce and the system is easy-peasy (though it is much more narative than D&D).

I own Burning Empires, because I really like Chris Moeller's Iron Empires comics, but I haven't played it to know if it works well with Burning Wheel or not.

Cthulhu Tech. Sci fi horror...what's not to love!? You could spin out some bizarre or mundane space tales here. Everything from 2001 A Space Odyssey to the Aliens Movies to Event Horizon...as long as there are dastardly critters and screaming.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Another example from Classic Trek- and others- is that the ranged weapons are so powerful, you can't risk using them inside a spacefaring vehicle or station. Too big a risk of hull puncture. Thus there is a resurgence in unarmed and archaic weapon combat- like with the Klingons.

Zelda Themelin

First Post
Alien dungeons... mmh. Alien spiderweb-like city. Living space vessel (litlle like inner-spece movie), their ship get overrun by nasty things from space/space-port/planet you visited. you have to find them all before they destroy ship.

Ancient alien ruins to investigate on planet maybe with underground ruin-levels.
Water planets with caves.

Soap opera scifi runs quite like fantasy.
If you want to do hard scifi I suggest changing gaming system away from D&D. Options are out there pick that you like most.

Don't try too hard if it's your first scifi game. Keep it close to familiar and introduce scifi elements. Hard Core scifi runs slower and many find it boring. Think what scifi related tv series or video games you like and pick direction from there.

Good luck :)

Remove ads