Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide: The First Official D&D 5E Setting

Yes, it is new, I was just creating a thread for it myself.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Can you please provide us with the exact months, weeks, days and possibly hours so we can get it right then? :p

I think it's safe to assume if someone is saying a year they are rounding to some extent.

Not sure why you decided to strawman me (and in a snarky way), but I was not responding to someone who mentioned a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

justinj3x3

Banned
Banned
Not sure why you decided to strawman me (and in a snarky way), but I was not responding to someone who mentioned a year.

I wasn't strawmaning you I was ribbing. And I'm naturaly snarky so take it with a grain of salt. Kind of why I added the smiley. Whether you were responding or just saying it, I just thought it was funny you pointed it out when the products are pretty much a year apart.

Remathilis

Legend
I wonder if the inclusion of a Purple Dragon Knight is included because it is also in the Sword Coast Legends video game? Plus the fact that Cormyr is just over the mountains, it isn't very far from the Sword Cost, plus Sir Isteval, as someone already mentioned, is a Purple Dragon Knight and he is in Waterdeep during the Tyranny of Dragons campaign.

I think it might be simpler than that.

1.) It allows for a new martial option "tied" to Faerun. PDK is a lot more romantic and exciting than "Flaming Fist Mercenary" and its a good way to create a "knight" subclass.
2.) Its a popular FR archetype and there is no guarantee we'll be getting a Cormyr book anytime soon.
3.) Something related to RoD or SCL (an NPC, a character option, etc).
4.) Despite its focus on the Sword Coast, it might be the only Forgotten Realms Campaign Book we get for a while. Might as well cram the "best of" into it.

For all those reasons, I full expect "Red Wizard of Thay" to be there too.

Moorcrys

Explorer
I'm neutral (unaligned?) on the realms, but it's fine with me - there's always stuff to mine and things to inspire me for my own worldbuilding.

My personal preference would be to include something generic like a 'swashbuckler' in a broader themed 'unearthed arcana'-like core supplement and leave really specific Realms-themed backgrounds and subclasses like 'purple dragon knight' for a setting themed book. That way my players don't need to look to the forgotten realms for a generic themed class. But that's nitpicking. I'll certainly buy it.

S_Dalsgaard

First Post
Hasn't Cormyr been expanding to the west for the last hundred years (they apparently annexed Proskur in 1405 DR)? That might explain inclusion of the Dragon Knights.

Fildrigar

Explorer
<<It's interesting that a product called "Adventurer's Handbook" was cancelled (or "not announced") earlier this year. Perhaps this is based on work done on that product?>>

Nope. This was our project from the ground up.

A wild PRAMAS appeared...

He uses Logic...

It's not very effective...

Remove ads

Remove ads