Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide: The First Official D&D 5E Setting

Yes, it is new, I was just creating a thread for it myself.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I would enjoy Forgotten Realms more if it lacked gods.

Heh, too bad the outcome of the Sundering wasnt, there are no gods.

Thank you, Cato the Elder. :)

"Dei Draconum et Carcerum Delenda Est."

Last edited by a moderator:

Osgood

Adventurer
I can certainly see an Eberron one focused around the Five Nations

I actually don't think a regional approach would work for Eberron. A single adventure could take the party from Sharn, to the Shadow Marches, to the Lhazaar Principalities, to Xen'drk... Kind of like an Indiana Jones movie. It's one of the reasons for the Lightning rail and airships. The base book has to more broad... Subsequent ones can focus on particular areas.

Benji

First Post
I would enjoy Forgotten Realms more if it lacked gods.

Heh, too bad the outcome of the Sundering wasnt, there are no gods.

I'm aware this is a tangent but why don't you just run realms adventures that have nothing to do with the gods? I know that without the gods realms isn't really realms per se but I'm pretty sure campaigns have been run without them being the only feature.

neobolts

Explorer
The Sword Coast has enough content to stand own its own as a setting. I'm interested what the narrower setting focus (i.e. Sword Coast not all of FR) will mean for the depth of information included. Plus with the SCL video game they've managed to create a tie-in outside the tabletop stuff that has me interested. Count me in.

Barantor

Explorer
I'm aware this is a tangent but why don't you just run realms adventures that have nothing to do with the gods? I know that without the gods realms isn't really realms per se but I'm pretty sure campaigns have been run without them being the only feature.

Thing is with FR, the gods are so integral to the setting that you are most times better off going with another one like even Greyhawk rather than trying to 'write the gods out' and use the lands.

Personally I find that the glut of info on FR is actually a bad thing as it doesn't leave a lot to the imagination. If I wanted to add in a whole country of cannibals I might have to go to another continent.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Other threads have conclusively established that this is the most sparse D&D launch. By far.

Then people in those other threads never played AD&D 1e.

This book, by the way, is coming out less than a year from the final core book being released.

The Hitcher

Explorer
Good move. They've talked about being reluctant to release massive setting books, and I get their reasoning: it's a massive investment for them, new players will be overwhelmed and there's not enough space to go into much detail about anything. I'm totally with them - I'd much rather a detailed look at a small section of a world that's actually of some use than a massive tome I'll never read. I'm not massively interested in FR, but I'm running some of the published adventures. And the cities of the Sword Coast do appeal to me a little, if only because they have such great names. Greenwood was on fire when he named Baldur's Gate, Waterdeep and Neverwinter!

tldr: whatever the logic behind WotC's release schedule, it's working for me.

Remove ads

Remove ads