Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide: The First Official D&D 5E Setting

Yes, it is new, I was just creating a thread for it myself.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I'm actually somewhat heartened by this. But at this risk of being a party pooper: November? We wait until November for the first non adventure product besides the core books and the GM Screen?
Not a lot of help, I know, but I beleive this will be available in the Wizards core stores 11 days earlier, on Oct 23, like all the other WotC D&D releases have been.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Wouldn't repeating content in two different books be a complete waste of space?

Only if you expect someone to own both books. Sometimes it can be worth the duplication to make each product more independently useful.

This product makes sense, and I look forward to it, but I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping for something more grand.

guachi

Hero
Whenever we have threads speculating about upcoming releases, a Sword Coast setting book always seemed the most likely choice to me, aside from the adventures.

I'm glad they are making it although if I get it, it won't be for being the Forgotten Realms, which I have no affinity for. Hopefully there are enough ideas that can be lifted out and dropped into my campaign. Whether it's a new subclass or something setting related like a nicely detailed town. I just wish it weren't going to be a hardback. I'd love something shrink-wrapped or a boxed set. That would be grand.

CapnZapp

Legend
A year? They've put out 6 hardcovers and a boxed set in 10 months. And licensed two DM screens and a bunch of card sets. Another hardcover in a couple of weeks. Then this is also coming, too, in November! Loads of stuff! :)
Other threads have conclusively established that this is the most sparse D&D launch. By far.

madrivi

First Post
Looking forward to buying it, i have enjoyed the Realms since the Grey Box, and i have to say that, even if i thought that a more "continental" setting book could have been a great option, a regional one, has been in the Realms publication tradition since the 1e and 2e times (the FR sourcebooks, like in FR1 Waterdeep and the North and so).

I'm a little biased i know, being an avid collector, so an adventure and a campaign setting before the new year? bring it on! take my money please :D

But...please pretty please, maybe, perhaps, some Planescape??? or Dragonlance? Even Gods, not smite me, Greyhawk?

I need books...more books...arf :D my collection needs to be feed....

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=6789403]madrivi[/MENTION]: As WotC's Nathan Stewart said in a recent Forbes interview,

Any plans to tell stories that take place outside of the Forgotten Realms?

Well, it depends on what you mean by that, right? Because you’ve already seen some stuff… but if you’re talking about us diving deep and taking a focus like what we’ve done with Tyranny of Dragons, we’re going to stay in the Forgotten Realms for the foreseeable future. It’s big, it’s huge, it’s our most fleshed-out setting or world. It’s got the most to explore. We can do everything in the Realms we want to in the foreseeable future.

Now, with that being said, we recognize that a lot of fans love other settings, so we will be doing things to give those guys tools to support that in their own way. But we’re gonna have long cycles, and so when we go all in on Greyhawk or Dragonlance or Spelljammers, that’s going to be awhile. We’ll support that stuff, we’ll give players the tools to do things that they want to do, but the main focus will be on the Forgotten Realms for a long time.

Goemoe

Explorer
Yeah, doesn't look like there will be a setting guide produced for the Realms?

I wonder if this is how settings will be updated. The makers of the Sword Coast PC game have said that they may do other settings in the future. So, maybe a Sharn source book for Eberron, or a Tyr source book for Dark Sun?
As this book seems connected to the game https://swordcoast.com/ it mustn't be Sharn for Eberron, though I would like it. I say, look out for D&D related products in 2016 and you get a clue, which book comes next...

Though we 'live' in Khorvaire, I still feel the urge to buy it... gnrmbl... :hmm:

Remove ads

Remove ads