Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide: The First Official D&D 5E Setting

Yes, it is new, I was just creating a thread for it myself.

Remathilis

Legend
woohoooo!!! (does happy dance):D

Okay, calmer now. I love everything about this, even the title captures my imagination, giving it the 'Sword Coast' is evocative, even if you dont play in the FR you want to open this. It has a serial/episodic sound to it. Happy that its an update to compliment the growing collection of 3.5e FR books Im picking up from eBay.

It'll be a worthy companion to my other books of the Realms. So glad Wizards is finally getting around to this, and hope, HOPE that this is a precursor to other books for Dark Sun, Greyhawk, and Eberron, (sorry Dragon lance can wait).

I can certainly see an Eberron one focused around the Five Nations or a Greyhawk one around the Free City and environs, or even a Guide to Sigil in the same vein. Not sure about Ravenloft (its too diverse to just focus on one region, unless you did Darkon/Necropolis but then you don't get Strahd as a draw.) or the other settings.

In my best fever dream though, a 5e Kingdom of Karameikos would come out. I'm not holding my breath.

variant

Adventurer
If this is the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide, why does it have the Purple Dragon Knight? Cormyr is not in the Sword Coast.

DM Howard

Explorer
I'm actually somewhat heartened by this. But at this risk of being a party pooper: November? We wait until November for the first non adventure product besides the core books and the GM Screen?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Interesting. I wonder if this counts as product that will be put up as part of "basic"... at least the new character options?

Greedy Steve says "I hope so" but Hopeful Steve says "I hope not, since that will make a lot more people buy it."

If this is the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide, why does it have the Purple Dragon Knight? Cormyr is not in the Sword Coast.

This earlier quote should explain well enough. It's really close to the Sword coast. Close enough that it will probably be included in the new map.
It's just a little past the Well of Dragons it could easily make the cut for a Sword Coast map.

View attachment 69399

This is the most recent map we have gotten on the Sword Coast
View attachment 69400

Cormyr is just a bit past the well.

GobiWon

Explorer
Here's the thing: Would Purple Dragon Knights be found on the Sword Coast? Well, there's at least one! (Sir Isteval)

Cheers!

... But wouldn't you want to see an Inner Sea book. Purple Knights belong in a book about Cormyr, Westgate, Sembia and the Dalelands.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
... But wouldn't you want to see an Inner Sea book. Purple Knights belong in a book about Cormyr, Westgate, Sembia and the Dalelands.

Nothing saying they can't be there too!

At present, all the published adventures are set in the Sword Coast. It makes sense to have the first campaign setting book there. But it also makes sense to include popular character options.

Or would you rather wait another year or two for that book?

variant

Adventurer
Nothing saying they can't be there too!

At present, all the published adventures are set in the Sword Coast. It makes sense to have the first campaign setting book there. But it also makes sense to include popular character options.

Or would you rather wait another year or two for that book?
Wouldn't repeating content in two different books be a complete waste of space?

Remove ads

Remove ads