Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide: The First Official D&D 5E Setting

Yes, it is new, I was just creating a thread for it myself.

JeffB

Legend
My tabletop game fizzled out, but I might still pick this up...

I am not a Pramas or GR fan, so who actually does the writing is the deciding factor for me. If the bulk of it are GR staffers or SKR, or similar, no thanks. If it's mostly Ed and/or Steven Schend, then I will gjve it a looksee.

Benji

First Post
THIS JUST IN....

.....WIZARDS ANNOUNCES A SETTING BOOK.....

.....PEOPLE STILL NOT SATISFIED......

...."It's not the exact thing I wanted," SAYS AREA MAN, "I wanted it [set in a different world/actually written by Wizards/to cover an entire continent in excruciating detail]"....

....FILM AT ELEVEN....

To be fair, I'm not complaining about the book until I see what's like, I'm just voicing the opinion that I don;t know what to think about it and can't predict what will happen if it is successful. But I take your point. I probably won't buy it but largely cause I can't afford to buy more than a book every three-six months nowdays (children eat money, sometimes literally)and until I can check one out I have no idea if it'll be worth my time.

pukunui

Legend
I, for one, am happy they've chosen to focus on the Sword Coast first, as I only recently started running the Tyranny of Dragons campaign. It'll be nice to have a post-Sundering update on the various locations the PCs will be visiting that only get a passing mention in the adventure books (like Baldur's Gate and Waterdeep).

gyor

Legend
Yes.

Spoiler Warning

The effects of the original sundering went both forward and backwards in time. This latest Sundering is the last ripple effect of the original.

Talmek

Explorer
For the price point of $39.99 I really, REALLY hope that there's a lot of good information regarding the current state of the Realms included. I know this may be peanuts for some in the hobby but seeing that this used to be the going price for entire campaign settings (yes, I know like 10 years ago, printing costs and so on - I'm old and crotchety at this point) my expectations are pretty high.

All things considered, I will definitely be pre-ordering though. I absolutely enjoy the Realms and 5e, so this purchase feels like a no-brainer for my group.

Prism

Explorer
They certainly seem set on making the sword coast area the place for adventure in the Forgotten Realms. Most of the Sundering adventures, all of the modules since release, both current computer games and the board game are all set in the region.
I doubt we will see much focus on the rest of the realms through gaming products as this seems to be the place. I'm quite happy if the rest if left less detailed to be honest. Adventurers league has the Moonsea region and the novel writers are skirting around the edges in Cormyr, Sembia and the North.

I'll certainly be getting this. I wonder if Ed Greenwood had much involvement.

ChapolimX

Explorer
It's just a little past the Well of Dragons it could easily make the cut for a Sword Coast map.

That's not a bad point. I'd rather see Cormyr in a book about the interior Faêrum (as in the Forgotten Realms wikia map -- I can't post links) + Dalelands or something like that. But this is not the end of the world for sure. Better this than nothing as long as they don't make a big mess.

Thanks for replying.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I am going to post this thought before I read the thread.

Yay! A campaign setting book. Even though I never use the Forgotten Realms, I always look forward to the sourcebooks.

As far as everyone else goes, now that we have something on the schedule that many people have been asking for...how long before somebody comes in and tries to pull the tower down?

Remove ads

Remove ads