• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide: The First Official D&D 5E Setting

Yes, it is new, I was just creating a thread for it myself.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Even ADnD was not this sparse.

It was worse in the beginning. Add up all the pages of Dragon which were about AD&D, and the first core book, and compare it to the number of pages WOTC's put out in the first year for 5e in the six major releases, and add the pages in Dragon+ which are actually about 5e, and add the Wizards.com articles about 5e (like Legends and Lore), and you will find 5e well outpaces AD&D in the first year.

graves3141

First Post
Wow, I can't believe a setting book is actually in the works :) I expected something different since I remember Perkins saying WotC was going to provide content in "new and surprising ways". This campaign book has a more narrow focus than a traditional setting book but I wouldn't call that terribly new and surprising, but that's just me. Anyway, I'm I'm very happy about this news and I can't wait to get my hands on this sucker!

Also, my guess is that this book will mark the end of the FR APs and that the next AP will be in another world (probably Eberron). That's cool with me though, one book like this for several settings over the life of this edition will be just fine. I wonder about the page count of this book... for $40 bucks I'm guessing around 192 pages or so.

gyor

Legend
With the fall of Netheril itself I would not be surprised if Cormyr just walked in and took Sembia, the Sembians, aside from some of the elites, would likely welcome them. At the very least the middle cities would likely be annex.

Also take into account that given Cormyr's heavy causalities Cormyr might be recruiting beyond it boarders.

Also Ambassadors to Waterdeep, Balder's Gate, Neverwinter, all likely are guarded by Purple Dragons. Other high Cormyran dignitaries may also have Purple Dragon Knights.

Lastly if Purple Dragon Knight is a Paladin subclass, they're maybe Purple Dragon Knights who take the oath, but dedicate it to another region/kingdom/city state. Being Cormyran may no longer be required oddly.

Which brings me to what makes me curious.

Which classes have Purple Dragon Knight, Bladesinger as subclasses (Swashbuckler we already know is a Rogue).

Which other classes have subclasses?

Which races have new subraces?

My guess is we get Elderin (Star Elf?), Moon Elf, Sun Elf, Wild Elf, Wood Elf, maybe Sea Elf.

Deep Gnomes will likely be in.

Grey Half-Orc?

Grey Dwarf.

Halfling Ghostwise

Imaskari Human

Half-Drow

How about races that aren't normally given subraces, like Tiefling, perhaps Demonborn, or you could make the Shadar Kai and Vryloka subraces (unlikely, but both races have simularities in origin stories to 4e Tieflings, maybe 5e Tieflings).

Backgrounds will likely be mostly region based, mostly Sword Coast regions and maybe Cormyr.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
It was worse in the beginning. Add up all the pages of Dragon which were about AD&D, and the first core book, and compare it to the number of pages WOTC's put out in the first year for 5e in the six major releases, and add the pages in Dragon+ which are actually about 5e, and add the Wizards.com articles about 5e (like Legends and Lore), and you will find 5e well outpaces AD&D in the first year.

Dragon did about 384 pages per year in the beginning which is 1 and a half 256 page "Hardcovers" plus of course the other stuff being produced.

That is certainly not insignificant.

Kurzon

First Post
Forgotten Realms? Blade Singers? This sounds like pure fan service. Pass.

Someone wake me when we get a product that isn't spoon feeding us sentimental crap like this. Maybe something that spurs creativity & originality, rather than rehashing tired tropes.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Dragon did about 384 pages per year in the beginning which is 1 and a half 256 page "Hardcovers" plus of course the other stuff being produced.

That is certainly not insignificant.

Note he said the pages that covered AD&D; they did coverage for all sorts of things, from what I gather.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
With the fall of Netheril itself I would not be surprised if Cormyr just walked in and took Sembia, the Sembians, aside from some of the elites, would likely welcome them. At the very least the middle cities would likely be annex.

Also take into account that given Cormyr's heavy causalities Cormyr might be recruiting beyond it boarders.

Also Ambassadors to Waterdeep, Balder's Gate, Neverwinter, all likely are guarded by Purple Dragons. Other high Cormyran dignitaries may also have Purple Dragon Knights.

Lastly if Purple Dragon Knight is a Paladin subclass, they're maybe Purple Dragon Knights who take the oath, but dedicate it to another region/kingdom/city state. Being Cormyran may no longer be required oddly.

Which brings me to what makes me curious.

Which classes have Purple Dragon Knight, Bladesinger as subclasses (Swashbuckler we already know is a Rogue).

Which other classes have subclasses?

Which races have new subraces?

My guess is we get Elderin (Star Elf?), Moon Elf, Sun Elf, Wild Elf, Wood Elf, maybe Sea Elf.

Deep Gnomes will likely be in.

Grey Half-Orc?

Grey Dwarf.

Halfling Ghostwise

Imaskari Human

Half-Drow

How about races that aren't normally given subraces, like Tiefling, perhaps Demonborn, or you could make the Shadar Kai and Vryloka subraces (unlikely, but both races have simularities in origin stories to 4e Tieflings, maybe 5e Tieflings).

Backgrounds will likely be mostly region based, mostly Sword Coast regions and maybe Cormyr.

Welll...we already have a Fighter subclass with magic. So, I'll throw out that maybe BladeSinger will be a Wizard with martial stuff...?

Purple Dragon Knight as either a Paladin it Fighter; not sure what kind of powers they would get?

Red Wizards as a....Wizard Tradition seems plausible.

Mist of the Elf subraces are already in the PHab, doubt they will change that:aquatic elves, maybe...

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Forgotten Realms? Blade Singers? This sounds like pure fan service. Pass.

Someone wake me when we get a product that isn't spoon feeding us sentimental crap like this. Maybe something that spurs creativity & originality, rather than rehashing tired tropes.

Nah... I think we'll just let you keep sleeping through all of it. Maybe you'll dream something you like while the rest of us are actually playing the game. ;)

Remove ads

Remove ads