Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

Cody C. Lewis

First Post
3 out of 5 rating for Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

I waited a bit before doing a review of this book, most likely because I kept changing my opinion of it. This book has been very confusing for me in how much I have enjoyed it mostly because of the difficulties in defining it. It is hard to tell if the book is successful at doing what it wanted well, because it is hard to tell what it was trying to do in the first place. After some consideration I believe it did in fact do what it wanted to do, but the question now is, is that something that appeals to everyone. So in short, if you have the correct expectations, this book is good, not great. If you have unrealistic expectations, you will be disappointed.

What should you expect?
A 5e guide of sorts for players and possibly GMs, that will lay a good foundation as an introduction to the realms. This 'guide' is a skeleton, it is a foundation, it is an introduction. I imagine that WotC was afraid that 4e caused a lot of people to push to other systems, and felt like they needed a book to lay the groundwork for both returning players and new players that may have fallen into the gap of being introduced to TTRPGs with another system.

The Fluff
The fluff is ok. It is not spectacular. It is presented in a sweeping overview. It is painted with the broad stroke of a large brush. Again, I want to reiterate this book is laying the foundation for people to understand Faerun. This book doesn't go into depth with who are the current masked lords, but instead describes the brief history of Waterdeep. It doesn't define NPCs of a city. But instead describes the layout of Baulder's Gate. Broad. Broad.Even the details on the deities are very generic. "This deity covers these things. These types of people worship them. This is their symbol. This is whether or not their altar's are large or small and if their worship is open or secretive." Which, by and large is all you NEED to know to incorporate them into a campaign. But things like X deity is plotting against Y deity for what they said at a deity class reunion 30 years ago... anything that specific is left out. Do not expect plot hooks.

So nothing regarding the fluff is done poorly. It accomplishes exactly what it tries to do.

Crunch
The crunch is good, but not great. My opinion is less based on the amount of options the book has or even the actual crunch itself, and rather the circumstances around the crunch. I'll explain; this is the first real expansion on the rules for 5e, outside of some sub-races and spells from Princes, as such this book feels like it just threw in some new stuff because... stuffs. The backgrounds are cool, but only 1 maybe two of them were completely new, while the others just gave variant features on existing backgrounds. The new archetypes are very cool... but Wizards didn't spread around the archetypes at all. Some classes received 2 new archetypes, some received 1, and others were completely ignored. Is this a positive or a negative? I'm not sure either way. If I had expected Wizards to release a single new archetype for each class, would they all have been good? Maybe they would have felt forced, or worse yet, been unbalanced. Chris Perkins has stated Wizards has no intention of publishing material just to publish material, so asking them to make new archetypes, just to produce material would have gone against this train of thought. However, on the other hand, as an example, there was nothing of real weight for my Bard in this book at all. Sure, it did have some nice background on the colleges, but even that was very small, and only usable as backgrounds for new characters.The spells in this book were interesting, but nearly unusable by anyone already playing a game. They would be fun for a very niche character concept, but I absolutely felt like they were in the book, just to fill the pages up.

Conclusion
I do not regret my purchase of this book. However, I intend on acquiring everything 5e. As far as my recommendation, it would be to pick up this book either only if you are a serious hobbyist, or to absolutely not pay $40/msrp for it. I purchased mine on Amazon for $23. That is about the correct value for this book. Unfortunately, that, more likely than not, means that this is not something I would recommend to pick up at a local shop.

Last edited:

Cascade

First Post
3 out of 5 rating for Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

Opening background is thought out and well done. Many locations have generic maps to allow a DM to jump in. A lot of the story that a player could use is semi informative but just not deep enough to fully vet out.
The deity section is fairly well done. Locations of the main churches are very support with broad backgrounds. Probably my favorite part of the book.

Overall sword coast information was shallow. It was open ended for adding on to the base story line but just seemed to try and grab so much, but simply didn't have room to expand. This section is either too general or far too rambling for a generic feel.

Race section jumped around; either have options for the players or don't. Detailing out a race and then adding another without expansion just seemed hoj-poj. Some of the class section was well thought out and informative...just not thorough or equal for all of the classes.

Spells and factions were nice, again too brief. Overall, I get the feeling that was a collection of basic summaries for someone completely new wanting a brief over view of the Sword Coast with some splashes of detail to try and drag in the old gamers.

It's either too basic or lacks depth. It's pretty expensive for a new gamer and not enough content for a hard core one. If you have the cash, nice flavor but you can find it elsewhere.

Last edited:

LordStorm

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

I really liked the book. I am puzzled they call it Sword Coast and yet they put lots of other FR background in it. I hope we see more FR books. The classes and races info is good. The book has a lot of updated material. My biggest gripe is the cost - List Price is too high for the amount of material.

steppedonad4

First Post

I don't get the hate. Yes, it's expensive, but it's a damn fine book. Putting price aside, it updates the realms nicely, provides a lot of good information in a concise and easy to read format, and gives good mechanical options to add to play. Don't see what there is to really hate about it.

It is a short book, no doubts about it. Perhaps one might even say slightly overpriced considering the page number, although nothing scandalous. It's the only reason I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5. That said, the SCAG attempts -and I think succeeds- in presenting two usually contradictory things: A book that's useful both to introduce new players to the Realms, and at the same time provide material for older players wishing to update into D&D 5e, all wrapped in a book of excellent production values. Focusing on a rather specific part of the Realms -the Sword Coast- helps achieve this, as well as acknowledging most long-time fans of the setting already own books from previous edition. The intent seems clear: Minimizing the reprinting of stuff we can already find elsewhere -and in far more detail-, and focusing on delivering a framework to plug old material into the new ruleset.With that in mind, I find the book a very good addition. It is more on the fluffy rather than the crunchy side, however, so bear that in mind if you prefer a more rules-packed product.

SigmaOne

First Post

This has a ton of content that breathes life into the forgotten realms. Perhaps a lot of the info could be found in other sources, but for players who are new to the realms and want a world that is rich, this is absolutely worthwhile. It's also a very enjoyable read even for those who already have some experience with the forgotten realms.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

I bought this mostly because I wanted to see the new sub-classes, backgrounds, and spells. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the rest of the book. Basically I can hand this book to any of my players and say "An adventurer in the sword coast would know this kind of stuff". Too bad my players never ask these kind of questions.

Fildrigar

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

An excellent book. Perfect for newer players without access to years of older FR products.

2 out of 5 rating for Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

I found this book underwhelming, not bad, but not particularly good. Where I was most dissapointed was the physical quality of the book. It was bad, and because it was mail order I didnt get to see it before I bought it. This would have been put back on the shelf. Pages were starting to fall out, ink was smudging on the pictures and the glue was all over the place. Hopefully this was a rare occurance. But since I couldnt return it and it is in such bad shape, giving it a low rating. I was hoping for more in the character creation part, just seemed to meh to justify it.

Remove ads