• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword Coast Legends To Introduce RAGE OF DEMONS and Tile Based Editor

Dan Tudge of n-Space, makers of Sword Coast Legends, has just posted a major "State of the Game" announcement which recognizes that opinion on the game has been polarizing and that it does not meet the expectations of many, and how the company plans to address those issues. To that end, there's a whole bunch of upcoming update packs, which include more areas, control enhancements, a "cleared" outdoor area ready for placeables, new races, and the two seemingly biggest enhancements: a tile-based editor and the Rage of Demons storyline.

Dan Tudge of n-Space, makers of Sword Coast Legends, has just posted a major "State of the Game" announcement which recognizes that opinion on the game has been polarizing and that it does not meet the expectations of many, and how the company plans to address those issues. To that end, there's a whole bunch of upcoming update packs, which include more areas, control enhancements, a "cleared" outdoor area ready for placeables, new races, and the two seemingly biggest enhancements: a tile-based editor and the Rage of Demons storyline.

sword_coast_legends.jpg

As Dan Tudge says, the game has had its fair share of complaints (it's currently trending at only 20.5% here at EN World). The biggest complaints about SCL - at least as far as I can make out - have been the lack of free DM area creation, and the way the game does not really use D&D 5E rules. The latter issue isn't addressed, but the December update includes:

• Official introduction of mod support, including
  • Tile based level editor
  • Branching dialog editor
  • Adjustable game systems, ex: round timer, loot tables, etc.
  • Community facing development of these features to begin immediately
  • Option to disable monster level scaling in DM campaigns

I don't know if this will mean Neverwinter Nights levels of customization, but it certainly seems to be a major step forward.

The Rage of Demons storyline was expected, and includes tile sets, objects, a tiefling race, creatures, etc., as well as an adventure.

The full list of five major update packs can be found here.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
Looks very promising for those still interested in it. :) Sadly, I am not one of them. The rules play a big part in the joy I get from D&D, and SCL just doesn't measure up for me.

Still, looks like good times ahead for it.

smiteworks

Explorer
I've always thought they had a very fun and enjoyable base for a game -- even for a DM, but more-so in the single player realm. I wish more companies would do this sort of thing instead of just throwing out something that is solid and starting over. For instance, the Temple of Elemental game is one of my favorite engines of all times, but it was scrapped and never built upon. It's good to see n-Space taking the feedback and working with that.

The number on ENWorld definitely represent the more true tabletop RPG fans. The numbers begin to improve when you expand that out to the general gaming population.
SCL is at 56% approval rating on Steam directly and 63% on Metascore.

I already think it is a good game. With this attitude by n-Space and the willingness to improve specific areas, the game could eventually move into the "great" game category. That's my 2 gp.

Chimpy

First Post
Sounds like some improvements. I thought the game was okay, but could have been better. It isn't one I really want to keep coming back to, not currently anyway.

Yeah I played and enjoyed it a bit but quickly lost momentum. I don't think a Rage of Demons storyline is going to sell me back; fixing their core engine to align with D&D 5E would, however, get me interested again.

EDIT: and are these all free updates? I'm guessing Rage of Demons and new tilesets will cost money.

Last edited by a moderator:

neobolts

Explorer
My early interest waned as the creation tools looked less interesting over time. This is a great step in the right direction.

As for it "not being 5e", I don't find that to be a compelling complaint. I'd much rather see vibrant gameplay adapted to the medium than a rigid shoehorning of 5e into a video game. A rigid approach is what I'd want from a virtual tabletop, which is not what SCL is trying to be.

Zalbar The Mad

First Post
As for it "not being 5e", I don't find that to be a compelling complaint. I'd much rather see vibrant gameplay adapted to the medium than a rigid shoehorning of 5e into a video game. A rigid approach is what I'd want from a virtual tabletop, which is not what SCL is trying to be.

Except their combat is gang up and whack-a-mole instead of tactical/strategic.

Remove ads

Remove ads