Sword Coast Legends

Cody C. Lewis

First Post
1 out of 5 rating for Sword Coast Legends

I don't even have the desire to make a list of all of the reasons I do not like this product. So I will keep it short.1.) Right off the bat, it is dangerous to my GPU. Yes, SCL has caused my $500 GTX 980 to fail 3 times already. The first time caught me off guard and I thought it was a fluke. The second I was trying to figure out what happened. The third I was trying to confirm my issue was in fact SCL. Apparently this has been a problem for quite a few people.2.) The game. Short and sweet answer is; nothing about this game is really that interesting or entertaining. I was a few hours in when I realized... I wasn't having any fun. I kept waiting to get past the beginning so the game could get better. It didn't. Nothing about this game truly made me say "cool" or "wow, that's awesome". The only thing I was even semi interested in was the setting. Not the story line. The setting. 3.) The Story. Didn't hold my attention really at all. You're in a guild to give a reason to have allies. Check. A demon is doing what demons do, cause mischief and when you confront him he is vague and foreshadowing about how you will 'know in time'. Check. Your guild is being attacked for something the demon did not you. Got it. Then you get to the first city and instead of being able to enter (and at this point you really want to get there as you are probably thinking surely the game will get better soon, it doesn't) and you have to find a back way in through the sewers. Why? Because combat and stuff.Thoroughly disappointed. I'm sure the DM features could be fun, but at this point I don't think any of my friends will be grabbing it and I can't imagine it having many people stick around to play online with randoms.Thumbs down. Save your money.

dd.stevenson

Super KY

If they get the bugs fixed, it might be worth a pickup for less than five US dollars. I bet the makers wish they could have released this game before Steam's return policy was introduced.

Kelanen

Explorer

The only good thing I can say about this game is that I discovered Steam has a refund policy and I was able to get my money back.

FallenAkriel

Explorer
3 out of 5 rating for Sword Coast Legends

Graphics are meh. Since NPCs AI is so dumb, playing solo is super tough. Even playing in group is more complex than it should and boring as not enough voices over. I would have rate 2 stars if it was not for the coop 4 players mode. But worse than Neverwinter and definitively not the best D&D around.

ZickZak

Explorer
2 out of 5 rating for Sword Coast Legends

• Graphics subpar, a lot 2/5
  • Character creation horrendous, hate it with passion 1/5
  • Story - boring at best 2/5
  • Overall feel chaotic, confused, disorganized 2/5
  • Side Quests annoying, only there to level up 2/5
  • Traps annoying, usually no sense to be there 1/5
  • Combat nothing special, graphic style very bad 2/5
  • Spellcasters pure hell, especially cantrips 1/5

Last edited:

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
4 out of 5 rating for Sword Coast Legends

I'm not as picky when it comes to video games but I have noticed as of late that video games in general don't hold my interest like they used to. Lost interest in Neverwinter about a couple of months in at level 30, same with DC universe, Marvel heroes, and the latest was Pillars of Eternity. So far SCL has held my imagination with the solo story line. Hasn't been a month yet like the other games, but reminds of some of my favorite games in the past so it's been fun so far. If I lose interest, I'll be sure to update my rating and post.

No video choppiness for me, runs fine and my laptop is about a year old but it was a middle of the line Lenovo. The save button is in the game, I save it often when i think I've got a big fight coming up.

Last edited:

kikai

Explorer

In general, SCL is a decent game with okay graphics - I enjoy playing it, although it is quite linear in its approach (would give it a c). I recognize some elements from dragon age, like the camp and companion quest, but DA was done brilliant, and here it is very bland, not very interactive, and doesn't really bring the game forward. All of this is okay-ish, not what I would have expected from the videos, but below expectations, yet still okay to play. But I encountered already three storybugs which doesn't let you finish quests, and now even in the main quest (first couldn't exit a room where you got a quest item, then restarted and now can't enter the room), or quest items vanished after death and restart, so that the final encounter can't be triggered anymore - that's just very poor.

Nine Hands

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for Sword Coast Legends

I like Sword Coast Legends but I went into it with the full understanding that it was 5E inspired game and not a conversion of 5E to a computer game. With that understanding while there are a couple of bugs, the story line is decent and the ability to play with my friends makes this game very cool.This week also saw the announcement of several community packs which will extend the game and the release of Rage of Demons. I'm more than happy to pay for the Rage of Demons pack and it is nice to see that the community update packs are going to be free. I think these changes will make the game more easy to play and please some of those who are unhappy with its current incarnation.

Ancalimon417

First Post

The game appears to be trying to accommodate to the console gamer and D&D enthusiast both, but in the rush to get the product to market it appears that the development team missed on both fronts. For a decades long player of D&D I was looking forward to a computer experience that would mimic the D&D tabletop game with the new 5E rules. Unfortunately the game was severely lacking in this regard. It was also slow and halting when played, the graphics were hard to decipher at times and the storyline made me feel as though I was just along for the ride with no real input on where to take the characters. Even when in battle the AI took over control of the NPC characters and proceeded to make them do things that were pretty crazy at times. I do like more control and turned based type of roll playing battles so this lack of control over what the characters were doing frustrated me. I just couldn't get into the game and after only a couple of sessions with it decided to spend my time on other more enjoyable activities and asked for a refund from Steam.

Gnashtooth

First Post

Everyone who bought it was somehow disappointed, even if their expectations were different.

Remove ads