D&D 3E/3.5 Sword stats

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
bd2675c5de00b4748ef86bd8355540d3.jpg

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
It’s pretty much a standard greatsword in any practical sense. Does 5e still have mastercraft/masterwork quality? If so, I’d be inclined to use mastercraft greatsword stats.

It’s pretty much a standard greatsword in any practical sense. Does 5e still have mastercraft/masterwork quality? If so, I’d be inclined to use mastercraft greatsword stats.
Its for 3/3.5. Is it statted somewhere? judging by its normal range of sizes and its intended effects it should come in short sword longsword and great sword dimension options with a slightly higher damage amount a bleed effect and an increase to non magical heal checks done without a potion. Because they are exceptional at causing blood loss historically and cuts from them are an absolute pain to stich. Also they are generally signifficantly more expensive.

If its somewhere in the game and statted im assuming it has at least some of those qualities. It definitely functions at a much different level of effectiveness than the average sword.

Blackrat

Ah, for 3e I’d assume there are stats somewhere. I’ll pour through some books and see if I can find, but still, using basic stats and throwing in masterwork would do. It raises the cost and gives +1 to hit.

Blackrat

Mongoose Publishing, Ultimate Equipment Guide, pg139.

Basically greatsword, but exotic weapon, critical threat range increased to 18-20 and costs 150gp.

Following the same logic, you could do the same with any sword by increasing the threat range by 1, extra 100gp cost, and make it exotic

Last edited:

What makes you believe that it functions on a different level of effectiveness?
If historical knowledge serves the wave pattern tends to cause it to slice in better because its contanct surface with the target is basically always curved and whether stabbing or slicing since flesh shifts as every thing is moving it also creates a lot of deviance within the cutting path of the contact points thus making stiching anything or attempting to stop the bleeding more arduous than the norm. It was actually valued for these traits among others.

The resulting increased surface area of the wound and also generally deeper than average cut were also infection risks as well as also additional factors in making stiching a pain.

Remove ads