• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swordmage Warding and Versatile weapons

Zexsudel

Explorer
I am sorry if this has been posted a bunch before.

If a swordmage wields a versatile weapon such as a broadsword, how does it interact with the swordmage warding class feature?

If I swing the weapon on my turn and say it is being wielded with both hands it will add +1 to the damage. Am I considered wielding it two handed until my next turn though, or can I left go with my off-hand once I have swung the weapon. I know in reality you can let go but do the rules explicitly state that somewhere.

chaotix42

First Post
Someone linked to a WotC response on this - switching hands is a free action, so you could start your turn holding your sword 1-handed, grip it w/2 hands to attack then switch back to one hand after the attack all for 2 free actions, never impacting your AC.

Some DMs may be left with a funny taste in their mouth when they see this. I play a broadsword-wielding swordsage and don't bother with this trick - I don't want to get any funny looks at the table and a few points of extra damage over the course of a battle aren't that important to me.

The PHB does say that you can take as many free actions as the DM will allow, though. I think it would certainly be within any DM's right to say that switching grips on a weapon is a free action you can take once per turn.

Then again I guess it's not that overpowered - it's only a few points of damage in the long run... most other characters who would like to abuse this are going sword & board anyway...

Last edited:

Zexsudel

Explorer
I have been playing a swordmage for over a month now wielding a broadsword and we have been treating "versatile" as being set till the start of my next turn based on how I wielding it the previous turn. I am not complaining, like you said the one extra damage isn't some deal breaker. I was just more curious on the actually ruling.

Anybody have a link to that WotC post as I have looked and can't find it. My search-fu is weak though.

Squizzle

First Post
I wanted to enter the grip-change into the action economy, but not unduly penalise my table's swordmage compared to the official ruling, so I instituted the following ruling:

Adding hands (picking things up from the ground, switching a single-hand grip to a two-handed grip) is a minor action; removing hands (changing from a two-handed to one-handed grip, dropping items) is a free action.

It works well for us, making the swordmage economise his grip-switching with his marking and other minor action tasks, on top of his accounting for the possibility of immediate interrupt or reaction attacks while he has his weapon in a two-handed grip.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Incidentally, the Character Builder (at least the beta) gives BOTH the AC for having a hand free AND the damage bonus for 2 handing a versitile weapon on the character sheet.

Now, whether that is a showing of intention or a bug is debateable.

Personally, I would allow it - but that's because the image a chinese/japanese two-handed weapon style is very appealing to me. 8)

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
You need to make sure that you state when you are placing the 2nd hand on the weapon and when you are taking it off. Because there are interrupts that creatures have that could attack you with your defenses lower etc.

Remove ads