Swordmages and half-orcs hit the streets!

Otterscrubber said:
Well, thunderweave has its drawbacks in that once your melee fighters engage opponents you may not want them to be pushed as it will mess up flanking and whatnot. We've only used it once in an adventure after our wizard leveled up and decided to take it, and when he used it he messed up a lot of positioning and made the fight a lot tougher for us actually. Monsters I've noticed seem to have all sorts of cool shifting abilities. But like I said that was just one instance, can't claim to have used it enough to be sure of its usefulness.
You don't have to push people with thunderwave(or any other power) if you don't want to, or you can push them, but less than the maximum amount if you want.

The only response to "thunderwave is better than Dire Wolverine" I have is that area effects are a controllers "schtik", so the Ranger is giving up damage to get some controller abilities.

That and Dire Wolverine Strike just isn't very good. The only time it does more damage than Two Fanged Strike is when you're surrounded by three or more creatures, and unless they're minions, Evasive Strike is probably better in that situation anyway. (and if they ARE minions, I'd most often not want to waste my encounter power on them because twin strike and an at will blast from an actual controller works better anyway)

I created the character. It was based on a miniature from the upcoming Against the Giants set (it's a cool-looking dwarf in light armor with a longsword; he's technically not a swordmage, but he certainly looks the part).

I'm 99% certain that the swordmage's bonuses are all correct based on the document I had when I created him. I did a couple of playtests with the characters, had a couple folks in the office look at them, and did 3 cross-checks to make sure the bonuses were right.

I'm surprised no one's found the other new information yet on the character sheets...

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
I'm 99% certain that the swordmage's bonuses are all correct based on the document I had when I created him. I did a couple of playtests with the characters, had a couple folks in the office look at them, and did 3 cross-checks to make sure the bonuses were right.

I'm surprised no one's found the other new information yet on the character sheets...

So then can you explain the AC wackiness?

I do however appreciate your diligence in making sure the numbers are right.

I really don't want to go into calculations used for the final numbers at this point. Suffice to say, I know the AC and damage negation are correct from the copy that I possess.

Cryptos

First Post
At-Will Powers:

Aegis of Shielding
Swordmage Feature
You create an arcane link between you and a foe, allowing you to instantly
respond to its attacks with a counterassault.
At-Will ✦ Arcane, Teleportation
Minor Action Close burst 2
Target: One creature in burst
Effect: You mark the target. The target remains marked until you use
this power against another target. If you mark other creatures using
other powers, the target is still marked. A creature can be subject to
only one mark at a time. A new mark supersedes a mark that was
already in place.
If your marked target makes an attack that doesn’t include you
as a target, it takes a ---2 penalty to attack rolls. If that attack hits and the attacker is within 10 squares of you, you can use an immediate
interrupt to reduce the damage dealt by that attack to any one
creature by 9 points.

I don't get why this has the Teleportation keyword.

1) Target is marked. Standard fine print on the mark.
2) If target attacks someone else, -2 to attack rolls. Standard defendery effect.
3) If it does attack and hits, you reduce the damage dealt by the marked target's attack by X damage.

Did I miss a teleportation effect somewhere?

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
I don't get why this has the Teleportation keyword.

1) Target is marked. Standard fine print on the mark.
2) If target attacks someone else, -2 to attack rolls. Standard defendery effect.
3) If it does attack and hits, you reduce the damage dealt by the marked target's attack by X damage.

Did I miss a teleportation effect somewhere?

yes, you teleport in front of them, parry the attack, and teleport back to your space.

the_redbeard

Explorer
and from what i am seeing Wizard of the Spiral Tower seems like it will work well with this!

Race: Githyanki as folks have pointed out.

Class: Infernal Warlock - multi-classing to Swordmage.

I'm thinking that the Warlock's temp hit points and cursing with whatever the swordmage MC ability is, and a few of the sword mage defender powers could be a nice combo.

Use your pact blade as your implement. Your cursed opponent gets damaged from the plus and your curse when he attacks you.

Infernal warlock has nifty powers that provoke damage when attacked. Could be good. Con and Int are primaries - looks similar here.

Have to spend some feats on getting armor.

Stats something like:

Str: 12
Con: 16+2=18
Dex: 8
Int: 16+2=18
Wis: 12
Cha: 10

Or, if you want to get the Blade Opportunists feats (serious MAD to do so):
(starting stats only)
Str: 14
Con: 15+2=17
Dex: 13
Int: 15+2=17
Wis: 10
Cha: 8

Will defense sucks, and perception sucks. But you're all the deadlier up close because you'll have more effective opportunity attacks.

Last edited:

Remove ads