• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swords and Socialites Part 1: The Forgotten Forge

Karl Green

First Post
Grim, dwarven fighter

Grim looks over the note and grunts "I could use the gold if there be any in it for us". He drinks the tea down in one quick slup, burning his tongue as it goes down. "Humph, I need something stronger I be a thinkin'."

He then signals the waitress for a mead...

Zweischneid

First Post
As Koren reads the note, he looks up incredulously, "Where did you get this? How do you know of our friend?"

Haramir, still leaning back on the terribly fragile looking wall of the ramshackle hut, raises his hands in a defensive gesture.
'I did not know your friend, though you have my sympathies for his surely undeserved demise. Nor do I presume to know how words and rumors spread in the city of towers. Maybe Lady Lin can share with you some details on that.'

Noding his acknowledgement at Grim, the strange foreigner continues.
'For myself, I only bring you this message to repay an old favor and, possibly, to earn a bit of the gold if any is to be made.'

Standing up and dropping a handful of coppers for the four tea on the counter, Haramir once more smiles his impossibly wide smile and adds.
'But if I take this message correctly, now that you've opened it, if information is what you seek, the Broken Anvil would be the place to go.'

Eluvan

First Post
Money? He did say, money, right? Plus, adventure. And a chance to assuage my curiosity. Oh, I think so.

Obviously quite taken with this whole turn of events, Lin smiles prettily and nods before taking another sip of her tea, finishing it. "This seems like a very fortunate turn of events. I, for one, definitely intend to follow it up." With that, she rises to her feet, placing her teacup down with a small clack and moving over to the newcomer. "How long do we have before we need to be there?"

Karl Green

First Post
Grim, dwarven fighter

Zweischneid/Haramir said:
Noding his acknowledgement at Grim, the strange foreigner continues.
'For myself, I only bring you this message to repay an old favor and, possibly, to earn a bit of the gold if any is to be made.'

Standing up and dropping a handful of coppers for the four tea on the counter, Haramir once more smiles his impossibly wide smile and adds.
'But if I take this message correctly, now that you've opened it, if information is what you seek, the Broken Anvil would be the place to go.'

Grim slaps his open palm down onto the table "Aye I like yer thinkin'... but first a drink! Barmaid! Where are ye? Tis Broken Anvil sounds like a good place... it got itself a noble name for one thing. Lets be off..." he stands (and if the drink has arrived) downs that one also smacking his lips loudly "Ahhh... now that hit thy spot"

Zweischneid

First Post
"How long do we have before we need to be there?"

Taking a quick look outside to glance skywards, Haramir shrugs doubtful.
'The stars can hardly be read in this city on the clearest of nights, and with all this rain.... midnight might well be fast approaching.'

Seeing that the everyone has finished their drink, the black-skinned Barbarian suggests.
'I'd say we just head for the Broken Anvil. If the name is any measure, I'm sure they'll have a drink to Grim's liking incase we're to early. Better than to be out in the rainstorm in any way.'

Erekose13

Explorer
Somewhat satisfied that this gentleman does not know anything further about the details of the note, Koren nods to him and the others, "Yes then lets find this Broken Anvil Inn, I want to know why Palol died and who had it in for that Professor." Finishing his tea, he follows the others out of the teahouse to find the nearest skycoach that might take them to the Inn. He promises himself that he will not let his friend's death be in vain and will get to the bottom of this mystery for Palol's memory.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
The four of you ask around briefly, and realise that the Broken Anvil isn't very far (15 minutes) on foot, just one level below, in the Lower Dura Inn district of Callestan. Your first impression of the district is that the inns and taverns are dark and grimy. Lots of rats and roaches run from the flooding sewers through the streets.

You find the Broken Anvil Inn carved into the bend of a wall in the Mason's Tower. The four of you recognize the House Ghallanda symbol on the sign.

As you walk in, the halfling matron and owner of the establishment looks surprised to see the four of you. She indicates that the four of you should take one of the long tables near the kitchen, and heads upstairs.

A few moments later, a human woman comes down and glances at your table, wlaking directly to a back room. The halfling matron returns to your table and says "You four are early. Come with me..."

She leads the four of you to the door that the woman from upstairs entered, opens it, and says "My Lady, your guests have arrived."

A human female in a dark blue cloak has delicate features, dark blue eyes, and sleek black hair bound with silver and turquoise ornaments. She wears a signet ring of House Cannith on her right ring finger and speaks in a soft but clear voice.

"Thank you for coming so quickly. My name is Lady Elaydren d'Vown. We have important business to discuss that relates to the unfortunate deaths of Bonal Geldem...and your friend. Please, sit down."

The lady gestures toward three pitchers-ale, wine, and water, complete with cups and gets down to business as soon as the four of you sit down.

"I have been working with provost Geldem to recover a family heirloom. We were to meet earlier tonight, but as you know, he never made it. I learned from a mutual friend we have on the Watch what transpired tonight, and he thought the three of you might want a chance to get to help me avenge the two murders. Lady Areyndee, another mutual friend, knew who the three of you were, and was apparently expecting you for a party this evening. She is aware of the reason for your absence, and apparently sent someone to help you help me. I am glad to see it."

She collects herself for a few moments before continuing.

"The heirloom, according to family legends, was locked away in a foundry that dates back to pre-Galifar Sharn. Poor Bonal beleived he discovered the location of the foundry in an ancient House Cannith journal. I was going to fund an expedition to go to the site, but without Bonal..."

Her voice trails off. Then she leans close.

"Perhaps you would be willing to recover the heirloom for me. For a generous reward of course...and the distinct possibilty of getting a chance to meet whomever was behind the double murder earlier this evening."

((OOC If you guys feel like I am railroading too much at this point, I apoligize. I just wanted to get the story moving. If you want to stop in the Tavern and have a conversation before Lady E. comes downstairs, I am up for that. Sorry for the delay. Finals week has been hell, and I used waiting for Erekose as and excuse to not post. I am enjoying DMing you guys so far!))

Last edited:

Eluvan

First Post
((I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes games just need a sharp prod to get them moving.))

Lin waits just long enough to be polite and then pours herself a cup of wine and sips it as she listens with rapt attention as Lady Elaydren d'Vown speaks, her eyes growing wider all the while with the mention of money and adventure. As soon as she finishes Lin speaks up. "That sounds perfect! A neat solution for everyone involved, hmmm?" She looks expectantly round at her companions for their agreement.

Karl Green

First Post
Grim, dwarven fighter

((occ yea I am fine with a little railroading, especially in PBP games, you have to keep things a moving ;)))

Walking towards the Broken Anvil, Grim grumbles about the rats and roaches, but it mostly that they are so small. Once inside he orders mead as he is lead into the back.

To the Lady Elaydren d'Vown, Gim listens and then nods looking grimmer then normal "Aye I be a helpin' if for no other reason then to gain vengence against those that caused the death of our lost warrior...

Now ye mention dis thing ye wish is down in the foundry of the city aye? Down in where the Cogs is? Interesting... sounds like a right pleasent place
"

Zweischneid

First Post
'I am most definitely the right man for your little search! Too long the only adventures in this town were the shy court ladys at the dragonmarked parties.'
the Argonnessens booming laughter proclaims, seemingly uncaring for the Ladies present at the table. It's obvious that the word shy is largely to blame for the big mans amusement.

Grabbing one of the pitchers and filling himself a drink, Haramir wonder who will oppose them on this little quest, although once more the Barabrian mostly seems to look forward to the challenge.
'Well MyLady.. did your friends at the watch come up with some clues on who murdered Provost Geldem and the friend of my companions? It would be interesting to know who else is searching your...

Haramir takes a deep gulp from his cup before finishing the question
'... a family heirloom? you said?'

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads