• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E SWSE Experiences & 4E Hunches

ZSutherland

First Post
These are some extrapolations from my early experience with SWSE, and hunches I'm making about things we'll see in 4E given the comments that SWSE is a sort of preview of 4E.

1) Protection against bad DMs - I think it was Mearls who originally remarked on this concept, but 3E at times seemed overly structured to protect players from bad DMs. Now, I'm all for advice and guidelines to help turn bad DMs into better DMs and mediocre to good DMs into great DMs. However, things like the wealth-by-level rules and all the assumptions that came with it, CR/EL being based on a 4 PC party with all 4 major roles covered, and the stark disparity between skills that you trained and those that you didn't seemed to really get in the way at times. In my ~8 hours of running a SWSE game for 3 players, this is much less problematic. It's a lot harder to accidentally kill a PC, even at 1st level, than in 3E because Force Points are a limited but relatively plentiful resource to salvage such a situation. This doesn't translate to boring/unchallenging combat, it just gives me and my players room to experiment, to stretch and try things out. Our last session ended with the players (still 1st level) being ambushed in a docking bay by 6 attackers with blaster rifles. While the NPC pilot, co-pilot, and the party's cowardly astromech droid high-tailed it aboard the ship to get it prepped, the PCs had an exciting and tense battle with the riflemen. Second-winds were taken, force points were spent, cover was put to good use, and smart tactical decisions were made by both players and NPCs. While the encounter was, technically, only EL2, that many combatants is something I've always been hesitant to attempt w/ 1st level characters in D&D, because 1 PC is so likely to die, and a TPK isn't hard to imagine. Here, I just shrugged my shoulders, assumed that they'd use Force Points to save their bacon if there was a bad roll, and unloaded on them. It was great!

2) Combat takes just as long, but each players turn is much shorter. I'm sure that this is partially because they're still low-level, but the Saga writers have done a great job of providing even low-level characters with useful choices to be made in combat each round. They're simple, though. Should I auto-fire that group over there, to do a little damage to several enemies or target a specific one and hope to take him down? Where's the most advantageous spot on the board I can get to for purposes of cover? Should I charge that guy with my lightsaber, or use Move Object to take away his cover so the Soldier can put him away? This keeps the rounds short, but the focus on multiple opponent encounters means that rounds are shorter, but there are more of them, so combat has a good heroic feeling without feeling dragged out and clunky. I secretly believe that this has a lot to do with the very specific 1 standard, 1 move, 1 swift action (and the large number of actions that used to be free that are now swift) and the removal of the 5 foot step.

3) Leveling up is easy. My PCs finally leveled to 2 at the end of our last session, and even though we only had one book, it took all of about 20 minutes for everyone to level up.

4) Assuming that the Saga skill system is adopted for 4E, the Skill Focus Feat will have to change. The Wiz-Os on the WotC forums suggested the other day, that a good house-rule, for people who thought an additional +5 at first level was too much, would be to change the feat to "Your level based bonus in this skill is equal to your level, instead of the normal 1/2 level." I'd be willing to wager that's exactly how it works in 4E.

5) Making NPCs is quick and easy. With no skill ranks, making even higher level characters never takes more than 15-20 minutes, and most of that time is deciding what feats and talents are appropriate, not clunky math.

Anyone notice anything about SWSE that they think is likely to show up in 4E and positively affect how the game is played?

PatheticWretch

First Post
In addition to the points you mentioned:

One of my favorite things about SWSE is receiving something cool every level. I hate the levels in 3.5 where all you get are hit points and a save increase. That's not very fun.

But planning out a character in SWSE is a blast, and there are way too many cool things to choose from. And every level, you get a talent or a feat, plus all the standard hit points and save increases. You can start to do some cool things from very low levels.

I also think adding the racial level bonuses will make leveling that much better.

EDIT: I know this is all common knowledge, but it is stuff I like about SWSE.

Last edited:

Irda Ranger

First Post
ZSutherland said:
2) Combat takes just as long ... the focus on multiple opponent encounters means that rounds are shorter, but there are more of them
This sounds more like: "We spend just as much table time fighting as before, but we "get more done" in the same amount of "table time"?

Because that means to me that if you want to fight the same number of opponents as before (and have 5 round combats), they'd go a lot quicker.

Fredrik Svanberg

First Post
Jim DelRosso said:
Out of curiosity, what problems did you have with Skill Focus?

I don't have a problem with it, really, but it struck me as odd that my 1st level Jedi had Use the Force +13 and a level 20 Darth Vader has +17...

Jer

Legend
Supporter
ZSutherland said:
2) Combat takes just as long, but each players turn is much shorter. ... This keeps the rounds short, but the focus on multiple opponent encounters means that rounds are shorter, but there are more of them, so combat has a good heroic feeling without feeling dragged out and clunky.

So, out of curiousity, have you put your PCs up against a single "big bad" opponent yet? And if so, how did that work and how much more powerful did he have to be compared to the "multiple opponent" encounters?

ZSutherland said:
and the removal of the 5 foot step.

Really? I hadn't heard that the 5 foot step had been removed. Is that because Attacks of Opportunity have been re-defined to make it unnecessary, or is there some other reason that it's gone?

ZSutherland said:
The Wiz-Os on the WotC forums suggested the other day, that a good house-rule, for people who thought an additional +5 at first level was too much, would be to change the feat to "Your level based bonus in this skill is equal to your level, instead of the normal 1/2 level." I'd be willing to wager that's exactly how it works in 4E.

Hm, so would you still keep the +5 from being "Trained" in the skill? Or would training just give you access to the "trained only" aspects of the skill and give you access to the Skill Focus feat?

Last edited:

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Vader's kind of a bad example, what with his -4 penalty to UtF checks because of all his cybernetics.

But yeah, skills are really front-loaded in Saga. Block/deflect causes a lot of problems for some folks because low-level Jedi with a decent Cha, and Focused in UtF can have a +12 to their skill check, vs. the best possible attack bonus which is about +7. So there's definitely a discrepancy there.

Jim DelRosso

First Post
Fredrik Svanberg said:
I don't have a problem with it, really, but it struck me as odd that my 1st level Jedi had Use the Force +13 and a level 20 Darth Vader has +17...

Well, he did have four limbs chopped off, so I believe he's got a -4 figured into his stats. :)

ZSutherland

First Post
So far, we've kept combat to mook combat for the most part because I'm not ready for them to discover who the real villans are at this point, but my Jedi player did have a one-on-one encounter with a Dark-side force user (non-heroic1/jedi 2). The combat went about 4 rounds before the Dark-sider got a really good roll on a Force Grip check and dropped the Jedi. However, since it was one-on-one, I don't know that it's a good approximation of a typical party vs. singular monster style fight. As for Irda's question, yes that's a good way of phrasing it. The enemies drop quickly, so the PCs never feel like they're accomplishing nothing, but there are just so many of them. I think this also really heightens the player's focus on tactical choices like cover and aid another actions.

I don't have a problem with Skill Focus in Star Wars Saga Edition, but that has more to do with the nature of the setting than with the actual implementation. A first level character w/ Skill Focus in Use the Force will likely have a +12 (assuming a 14-15 in Cha.) Your average 1st level mook has about an 11-15 Fortitude Defense (and thus Damage Threshold, which is how these things are checked in the erratta), so the Jedi only needs to roll a 3 at the outside to succeed at most of their offensive Force Powers. By 10th level, the Jedi's bonus will only be +17, but the DT of similar level enemies will be ~21-25, and there are certainly ways it could be much higher, so the Jedi needs to roll an 8 to be successful. By 20th level we're at a +22 roll vs a 35 or better DT. Effectively, the current rendition of the feat is severely front-loaded. This makes sense in the setting, since what we see in the movies is the heroes cutting easily through swarms of mooks broken up by very tense fights against real competition.

Dooku: Blast it, Yoda. My Use the Force checks cannot overcome your Defenses or Damage Threshold.
Yoda: Nor can mine, yours overcome.
Dooku:...
Yoda:...
Dooku: Lightsabers, then?
Yoda: Seem so, it would.

The above works perfectly well for Star Wars, but seems unsuitable for standard D&D tropes, especially if they're going with even a partially skill-based magic-system.

Remathilis

Legend
ZSutherland said:
Dooku: Blast it, Yoda. My Use the Force checks cannot overcome your Defenses or Damage Threshold.
Yoda: Nor can mine, yours overcome.
Dooku:...
Yoda:...
Dooku: Lightsabers, then?
Yoda: Seem so, it would.

That is one of the funniest thing I've read so far about saga. Bravo!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads