Symbaroum: A Dark Swedish RPG Being Translated To English

Symbaroum is a Swedish roleplaying game and setting whose creators ar elooknig to crowdfund an English translation. The Swediish version launched in July 2014, and the English version will be a 260-page softcover. From the images on the Indiegogo page, the art looks impressive, and you can download a PDF of a Quick Guide to the ruleset for free.

Symbaroum is a Swedish roleplaying game and setting whose creators ar elooknig to crowdfund an English translation. The Swediish version launched in July 2014, and the English version will be a 260-page softcover. From the images on the Indiegogo page, the art looks impressive, and you can download a PDF of a Quick Guide to the ruleset for free.

The translation is apparently definitely happening - the crowdfunfing project is just to speed that process up. Rewards include the PDF for $20, or the softcover for $29 (plus shipping).

The free Quick Guide is here, and the Indiegogo camapign is here.

ftxfhuie2yelylhsnwih.jpg

Dioltach

Legend
Looks like they'll need more money to cover the cost of a good translation, and I understand from the description that they're still looking for translators. Around $6000 for 260 pages at an estimated (conservatively) 300 words per page works out at around $0.075/word (and I assume that's not including VAT).

Kcinlive

Explorer
There are also 3 sample characters as well as some other info on the IndieGoGo page under Snippets.

Looking forward to this.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Did I read this right? To accomplish things with a die roll, you roll under your attribute, and your opponent's attribute (or the difficulty) adjusts your score on a point-for-point basis?

Simple enough. I love the racial selection too: human, goblin, ogre, changeling. I hope Troll is in one of the expansions...

There is something in the atmosphere of European games, they just seem richer.
I suspect they feel the same about playing American games.

Kcinlive

Explorer
Did I read this right? To accomplish things with a die roll, you roll under your attribute, and your opponent's attribute (or the difficulty) adjusts your score on a point-for-point basis?

That's how I understand it. Though you don't subtract the opponent's total attribute value. It's converted to a modifier what's subtracted, I think.

skurksafari

First Post
Hi guys, I'm the graphic designer at Järnringen who is behind this project. Lovely to see the campaign here, and it is really exciting now in the last couple of days - we are currently at 93% and the funding graph is looking very positive.

Just to clarify; if you're not content with just a PDF or a soft back, be sure to check out the other pledge levels which include printing qualities ranging from print on demand versions, to offset high quality books (of the same quality as the Swedish edition seen in the fundraiser) to the super exclusive Nightbane edition which is limited and bound with artificial leather and golden details. We really care about the physical quality of our products and want to offer you the best we can.

skurksafari

First Post
That's how I understand it. Though you don't subtract the opponent's total attribute value. It's converted to a modifier what's subtracted, I think.
Exactly. If you have Discreet 13 and want to sneak past a guard with Vigilant 15(-5) you want to roll 8 or lower on a d20 (13-5=8). Adding to this is that all rolls are done by the players, the GM doesn't even have dice but can focus entirely on the drama and the story.

CapnZapp

Legend
The conversion between attributes and modifiers might be simple when you know it, but it's still great that a table that makes things crystal clear will be included in the english edition.

Remove ads

Remove ads