• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tæün: Reflections (Updated 11-1-04)

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I spent about five hours last night learning the ins and outs of Campaign Cartographer. I pretty much have the continents laid out. As soon as I label everything (meaning I figure out how to do it well) and learn out how to export it for web use, I will try and post it here. The map will really only detail the continent names and maybe a few countries or regions. I will link smaller, detailed maps off the larger once it is complete.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
That would be fine. But so much of my setting is on scribbled notes at this point it will be some time before I would have enough to feel comfortable distributing it to those who were interested.

I imagine that is true for most DMs who run home brewed worlds. I was toying with the idea of building a website...hrmmm.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
The next week or so will be a bit slow for updates as I am in the process of converting my garage into a game room and building a new game table.

Also, this Saturday I get to dust off my namesake character as we launch back into an old favorite campaign of ours.

Furthermore, I will be trying to polish up that first map for posting.

Life is busy. =)

Hjorimir

Adventurer
As promised, here is the first map. I had to take a lot of detail off for the export (things just didn't look good at this scale). I am in the process of learning how to create linked sub-maps. Once I've done that, I will post some more detailed PNGs (JPGs are too large to upload here) of places of interest.

attachment.php

Attachments

• World_Map.PNG
    World_Map.PNG
    28.3 KB · Views: 161

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Nice first draft...can't wait to see features both political and topographical :) at some point.

What about the adventure? Where has it gone?

Vymair

First Post
We played last weekend so Hrojimir has some good backlog for story now. However, he's still involved in house projects and between the two games he's the DM, the two games where he's a player and his new job he's been a busy boy.

I'm hoping we'll get some more story in the next few weeks.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
6 – Gathering, Part 2 of 2

Wrensford, Darion’s March

Álfarr, dripping wet, strode over to the bar and planted himself upon a stool. After ordering a cup of mead, he wasted no time in scanning the room.

[New snow, she said. Where is one to find…]

His eyes fell upon Tríona and his breath stopped, her pale, white hair catching his gaze.

[Nothing is coincidental… vyrd is actualized.]

He quaffed the remainder of his drink, dried his mouth on the back of his still wet sleeve, and approached the table where the woman sat. Two of her three companions were in the process of draining their own tankards as they cheerfully conversed. The last, a death priest, sat quietly humming a well-known requiem.

Álfarr nodded to the group and asked if he could join them.

“Of course, friend,” said Lazzaro, gesturing to a chair. “What brings you to Wrensford, Northman?”

Sne,” the magician said, answering snow in his native tongue. “What about you?”

“Orcs and leaves,” Égun returned. “What is sne?”

“Same thing as orcs and leaves,” he answered. “I am called Álfarr.”

“I’m Égun, the man buying the drinks is Lazzaro, the little one is Aramon, and the woman is my cousin, Tríona, who is already spoken for.”

“You’ve come for orcs and leaves?” Lazzaro interrupted.

“Have you?” Álfarr responded.

“Yes, well I don’t know anything about leaves. But we’re going to try and clear the orcs back from the Great Road.”

“Then so am I,” the magician stated.

“You’re in luck, Lazzaro pays good!” Égun added, to Lazzaro’s horror.

“Excellent!” Álfarr said, happily.

Lazzaro groaned.

Tríona leaned over to her cousin and whispered, “Are you sure we’re with the right kind of men?”

Égun took a long look at the free drink in his hand, smiled, and answered, “Yes…yes I am.”

Later That Night, Upstairs
The warm desert sun drove the cold from his body. He laid there, among the pillows and silks, admiring the dark, beautiful woman as she slowly approached. His heart pounded fiercely within his chest as it always did when she was near. He hadn’t known such complete joy in his homeland. The cold northern highlands on Emoria were becoming more and more a distant memory as his days with Ramlah grew. Theirs was a forbidden love. Neither of them cared.

“Wine, my barbarian?” she teased.

[What was that?]

Égun’s eyes snapped open at the sound. It was pitch black in the room and the clansman had been sleeping down near the door, leaving the small bed for Tríona’s use.

[Bah, t’was nothing. If I hurry, I can get back to her before she leaves.]

- [size=-3]click[/size] [size=-2]click[/size] [size=-1]click[/size] CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK [size=-1]click[/size] [size=-2]click[/size] [size=-3]click[/size] –

Somebody – or something – shuffled past the door, outside in the hallway.

[By the Wells, what is that?]

Égun crept to his feet, found his claimh mhor, and stood waiting to strike at anything that came into the room through the door. Long moments passed as Égun waited, straining to hear anything over the continuous pattering of rain from outside.

[Must be the drink talking.]

He moved over to the bed and groped for Tríona finding her foot. His cousin mumbled something in her sleep and kicked his hand away. Satisfied she was safe, Égun relaxed.

A flash of distant lightning flickered through the room’s small window painting the silhouette of something as it moved by.

The clansman crouched low in the room, eyes wide, waiting to spring upon whatever had stirred him from his dream.

The rain poured on through the night.

The Next Morning
Égun, stiff, tired and soar, left Tríona in the room to 'greet the tree' and made his way downstairs for a bit of food. It was going to be a long day for him and he wanted to get something in his belly before he and his newfound companions left town for the hunt.

Coming down the stairs he found, sitting in the common room by herself, a remarkably beautiful young woman. Never being one to miss an opportunity when it came to women, Égun walked over and plopped down at her table before leaning in for a closer look.

Satisfied that she was indeed quite beautiful and his initial impression was not a lingering figment caused by the heroic amounts of ale he had downed the prior night, he smiled at the woman. “Top o’ the morning to you, lass. Me name’s Égun and who might you be?”

Taken back by the barbarian’s lewd behavior, she leaned back away from the table. “My name is Lysette Jardine, not that it is any concern of yours, sir.”

Undeterred, Égun pressed on. “Are you a guest here? I think I’d remember one such as yourself had I seen them, I mean you, last night.”

“As a matter of fact, I am not. My suitor came into town last night and I thought I would pay him a surprise visit. He must have been terribly busy with his business if he was unable to call on me. So I thought I would take the opportunity to share a breakfast with him.” Realizing she was saying far too much to the stranger she ended her conversation there.

“What business could be so important to make a pretty lass wait?” Égun asked. “Who is this suitor of yours? He is more of a fool than most if he was busying himself with coin when there were richer treasures to plunder!”

Wishing to be done with Égun, she attempted, once again, to end the conversation. “Not that you’d know him as he doesn’t deal with your kind, but his name is Lazzaro Balsorano. He is a wealthy and influential gentleman of refinement and an important member of his family’s business. Now if you’d please be kind enough to find a different table he should be along shortly and won’t take kindly to strange men being so forward with me.”

“Now that’s odd because I was up with a Lazzaro drinking all night,” Égun laughed.

At that, Lysette flushed and came to her feet. Starting in something of a squeal before regaining a modicum of control she seethed at the clansman, “Please convey to Lazzaro that I was here.” She then turned and fled from the inn.

It wasn’t long until Aramon came down to join him at the table.

Égun was uncertain what bothered him more, sharing breakfast with the dark-robed priest or his damnable smile. He considered telling him about the noises he had heard or his encounter with Lysette but ultimately decided a little bit of quiet time seemed appropriate.

Shortly thereafter, the Quinterion guardsmen descended from their rooms and made their way out towards the livery in order to prepare for their own hunt.

Within the hour, Álfarr and Tríona had emerged from their rooms to join the others and the four of them had finished their breakfast. Just as they were beginning to discuss who would be the lucky one who was going to wake their late-sleeping employer, a knight, clad in full plate, entered the common room.

Trevier looked about and found only one group of people in the establishment. They were obviously visitors here but he needed information from the road as well as the town. With great helm tucked under arm, he approached the group. The first two he guessed as consanguineous Eduni, the third he marked as a Fjoti outlander and upon seeing the fourth, a priest, he smiled.

“Good morning to you, my friends. My name is Sur Trevier Morneau and I was wondering if I might speak with you of the current events that trouble this scir.”

Égun eyed the charming knight suspiciously and leaned a bit closer to his cousin.

“Of course you may, sur. I am Father Aramon Botan out of Aranarth. These are my companions, Égun and Tríona of Ondria, and Álfarr has come all the way from the Hiemalmark. You’re welcome to take a seat as we find ourselves waiting on another.”

“Thank you, Father,” Trevier replied and sat. “I can only presume that you all know of the orcish raiders in the area of the Great Road. As I am just arrived and seek a means to reopen the way I was hoping that some of you might have some shred of news that would prove useful.”

The Eduni spoke briefly to one another before standing to leave.

“Going somewhere?” Álfarr asked Égun.

The clansman paused long enough to answer, “She needs to go see the trees or dirt or something.” With his cousin already out of sight, he jogged off to catch up with her.

“In truth,” Aramon went on to answer Trevier, “we have only been here a short while ourselves and know little that you probably have not heard already. Though we have been hired to clear the orcs out of the area and reestablish trade by a prominent shipping house from my homeland. Perhaps we could combine our efforts.”

“Perhaps…I understand that there is a local businessman by the name of Ewart Jardine that may have some insight to the matter as well. You don’t happen to know him, do you?”

As the cleric was starting to reply, Lazzaro answered from the bottom of the stairs. How long he had been standing there, none of them were certain. “I know Master Jardine. He and I are good friends and often do business together.” Walking over he extended his hand in friendship to the knight, “My name is Lazzaro Balsorano.”

Trevier stood, formally introduced himself yet again, and shook his hand. With everybody now sitting, Lazzaro continued. “I don’t think that he will know any more than me on this matter, but you can check with him if you’d like.”

“Maybe we could start with what you know.”

Lazzaro went on to recount his encounter with the orcs outside of town answering a few questions along the way as posed by the knight and others.

“I see. It is by Æhü’s Grace that you survived at all, it would seem. Do you think we could speak with Master Jardine and see if he has learned anything in your absence?”

“Absolutely. I have to go there this morning anyway. Why don’t you come along? And I can make an introduction.”

“That is very kind of you.”

The group of them gathered outside only to find Égun literally dripping in mud. While Égun was more than a little irritated, Tríona seemed quite pleased with herself.

“What happened to you?” Lazzaro asked.

Eager to move on, Égun shrugged and only offered, “Druid stuff. She had me in the searching mud pits… Never mind, it is of no matter. Are we ready to kill some orcs?”

Lazzaro shook his head. “No, I need to attend to some business with a friend of mine this morning and introduce Sur Trevier as well. Hopefully we will be able to leave soon after.”

“I am not so sure you will be able to do that, Lazzaro,” Trevier added.

“Pardon?”

“I was with the reeve last eve and he made it rather clear to me that the bridge would remain closed to everybody other than the Quinterions who have come from Tol’Cathul.”

“Why would he do that?” Égun asked.

“I am told it has something to do with leaving additional tracks that would only confound their efforts to locate the orcs,” Trevier replied flatly.

Lazzaro considered the situation a moment before speaking. “Perhaps Master Jardine can put some pressure on the reeve to grant us access to the bridge. At any rate, our course is set, let us go see the man.”

As the group started off, Álfarr noticed the Égun was lagging behind and frowning. “Is something wrong?”

The name, Jardine, sounded vaguely familiar to the clansman, but he couldn’t quite place it. “I just feel like I’m forgetting something. Oh well, I’m sure it’s not important.”

Hjorimir

Adventurer
7 – Elephants Never Forget
(Égun says, “What’s an elephant?”)

Wrensford, Darion’s March

Lazzaro sighed inwardly as he considered the motley band he found himself with. The priest, Father Aramon Botan, would no doubt prove to be useful if he could actually call upon the power of God. He’d heard tales of the miraculous things that some of the faithful, or ‘channelers’ as they were called, could do but had never actually witnessed anything remotely miraculous in his life. (There was a certain young courtesan in Athros he knew, but it wasn’t exactly the same thing.) That, coupled with the fact that Aramon was under the aspect of Merlutat, the Angel of Death, put the cleric firmly in the category of risky investments.

The Northman, Álfarr, was worse in Lazzaro’s mind. The Fjoti were known as an unpredictable people who were prone to sudden outbursts of uncontrollable rage that often resulted in needless violence and, worse still, death. He placed Álfarr squarely in the category of possible liabilities.

As a Cyrdion Knight, Sur Trevier was undoubtedly a model gentleman and proficient soldier. The Preceptory of the Church, which was comprised of various Orders of Knighthood that were sworn to uphold the Orthodoxy, had a long, prestigious history of heroic figures that usually ended up sacrificing themselves time and time again in order to protect the Church; a fate that Lazzaro found to be ultimately tragic. But none of that really concerned him. What concerned him about the knight was the embodiment of the Church’s strict high ideals and moral code.

Lazzaro considered himself a good enough person overall, but in his line of work one had to make certain adjustments and allowances in order to prosper or even survive. Needless to say, involvement with the Æhüthians could become sticky for the young entrepreneur. He would have to drop the knight off with Ewart Jardine as soon as possible and then get back to work. So, Sur Trevier was haphazardly tossed into the expendables bin.

Égun, however, was a solid investment in almost every sense of the word. He would certainly prove to be a brutally efficient fighter and, better yet, enthusiastic about the bloody work that lay ahead. The reputation of the Rithmílidh preceded him and Lazzaro felt confident that the clansman would live up to the expectations. He defined the highlander as the strongest asset in his portfolio. There was only one downside to Égun…

Tríona, who was certainly easy on his eyes, seemed to be completely useless. Not only did she not speak the local language she was a constant distraction to her valuable cousin. While Égun had insisted she would prove useful and could “cook n’ stuff,” Lazzaro couldn’t help but feel like he was throwing away valuable silver retaining her employment. Regardless, she wasn’t the first write-off Lazzaro had had in his career and certainly wouldn’t be his last. After considering the woman a bit longer, he counted her as a retaining fee for his strongest asset.

His accounting for the day completed, Lazzaro prepared to introduce the lot of them to Ewart, whose house they were now approaching.

The house was, in fact, more of a mansion. Complete with a five-foot wall of stone that encompassed a pleasant flower garden and a beautifully sculpted water fountain in the form of a mermaid that emptied a seemingly endless decanter of water into a pool below.

Seeing the group as they arrived, one of three gardeners quickly made his way up to the house to inform the staff that they had visitors.

As they made their final approach, Ewart stepped out onto the porch to greet them.

“Well if it isn’t my good friend, Lazzaro!” the older businessman called.

Something about the way Ewart had stressed the word ‘good’ put Lazzaro on edge. He’d known the man for quite sometime now, but something seemed to be bothering his partner. As the target of the conversation, Lazzaro assumed that he must somehow be the culprit.

“I trust I find you in good health, Ewart,” Lazzaro said cautiously.

Ewart gave Lazzaro a very firm handshake, squeezing a bit more than necessary. “Who are your friends, Laz?”

“Ah, these fine people are here to assist us with the clearing of the road so we can get back to business.”

Hearing this, Ewart perked up and smiled. “Excellent!”

“Let me introduce, Álfarr of the Hiemalmark, Father Aramon Botan of Aranarth, Égun and Tríona of Ondria, and Sur Trevier of Arlies.”

Hearing his queue, Trevier stepped forward, “Greeting Master Jardine, I have been sent by the Most Reverend Clément Rousseau, Bishop of Ermione and was wondering if we might discuss this unfortunate business of orcs and any ideas you may have about resolving the crisis.”

“Of course, of course. I do have some business to attend to this day, but you all should come back this eve and we will share a fine dinner and discuss all such matters.” As soon as he said it though, Ewart regretted it. He looked upon the two Eduni covered in mud and muck and thought of his fine, imported furniture.

Sensing his thoughts, Trevier added, “That would be splendid. It will also give us an opportunity to clean up. I apologize that we are so disheveled at the moment.” In honesty, the knight was at somewhat of a loss as to how he could explain the clansmen’s appearance and utter lack of propriety.

“Speaking of business,” Ewart said as he turned back to Lazzaro, “Lysette is a bit…disappointed that you didn’t call on her last eve.”

“That’s it!” Égun exclaimed. “I remember now!” Nonchalantly, the clansman walked up behind Lazzaro and loudly whispered, “I have a message for you, Laz.”

Lazzaro groaned pitifully and shooed Égun away. “Please understand, Ewart, that I had to secure soldiers to drive off the orcs as a top priority. While nothing would please me more than the company of your lovely daughter, it would be irresponsible of me to fritter away precious time while our business is at a standstill.”

[Damn, I’m smooth.]

Nodding in complete understanding, Ewart smiled. “Of course, Lazzaro. I’m sorry, she should be more understanding of a man’s work and I applaud your attention to enterprise. Perhaps you could use this afternoon to visit with her?”

While it was posed as a question, Ewart wasn’t really looking for an answer. The instructions were as clear as a profit margin to Lazzaro. “Absolutely! It was what I had hoped for from the start.”

“I thought he said we’re going to kill orcs?” Égun asked.

“Quiet you.” Álfarr admonished with a chuckle of his own.

The Golden Tankard
With Lazzaro sharing a pleasant afternoon with the lovely Lysette and Trevier off at the local chapel for some much needed prayer time before once again meeting with the reeve, the others returned to the inn for what they hoped would be a quiet afternoon of drinking and general laziness.

Not two hours had passed before Merla, the bar wench, came to Aramon. “Sir priest…”

“Just Father will do. What can I do for you, child?”

“Sorry, Father. A woman from town is most distraught and is asking to speak with you. We’ve taken her to a private room if you’d like to see her.”

Aramon stood. “Of course, please show me the way.”

Merla brought Aramon to a back room where an elderly woman was crying with a frightened child clinging to the hem of her dress.

“Aida, this is Father Aramon,” Merla said introducing the cleric.

“Thank you, Merla, please excuse us,” Aramon said and gestured towards the door with a pleasant smile.

Merla gave a curtsey and excused herself as she closed the door behind her.

Aramon gave a smile and placed a hand upon the head of the child before looking back to Aida. “What troubles you?”

“They took him!” she blurted. “They’ve taken my husband and now he is gone!” At that, she started sobbing even harder.

“Please, child, calm yourself and explain to me the whole of the matter. Who has taken your husband and how can I help? Are there no guards?”

“No, no. You don’t understand!”

If Aida expected a response at that she was to be disappointed. Aramon simply sat down and patiently waited for her to explain. He had no small experience, of course, in listening to all manner of complaints and pleas of those in need and had learned some time ago when to speak and when to listen.

Aida went on. “My husband had been killed in one of the ambushes while he was working as a caravan guard. I brought our son, Kade, to the cemetery to pay our respects and where my husband was buried there is nothing but a gaping hole!”

Now very interested, Aramon stood once again. “A hole, you say? Can you show me?”

“Of course, Father. Come with me.”

As the three of them hurriedly made their way to leave, Álfarr stopped them in the common room. “Is there trouble?”

Hearing the word trouble brought Égun over as well as he didn’t want to be left out of anything that just might be ‘fun.’

“It seems that this widow’s husband has gone missing,” Aramon explained. “She is taking me to the cemetery so that I may investigate.”

”Alright!” exclaimed Égun. “I’m coming too!”

Aramon sighed at the callous barbarian. He wanted nothing more than to leave the clansman behind, but was wise enough to know that he may be walking into danger. “Very well, though I’d have you mind your manners and remain quiet.”

“Oh, you know me! It won’t be a problem!” Égun smiled.

Aida motioned for Aramon to step aside before speaking to him. “Father, can we trust these… pagans?”

“I assure you, they will be fine,” Aramon said.

[Father, let me be right.]

Égun grabbed up Tríona and they all made their way outside. Dark, angry skies looked down upon Wrensford as thunder roared in the distance. Determined, the group made its way out of town towards the cemetery that loomed upon a shady hill.

Remove ads