T1: A Visit to Spelding Square [Completed]

Trouvere

Explorer
The old man looks a little bemused at Midias' generosity. "I'm not out on the streets begging, I've still got me pride - and me own house," he protests. "And me old Mildred if worst comes to worst. But I daresay Hyrag looks kindly on you for making a gesture to an old fella who's seen better days. So, thank'ee."

He solemnly distributes a silver shield each to the boys and the remaining three disappear into his clothing. The boys' eyes shine.

"Now, then," he says. "This ear here ain't as good as it was, and the other one's worse, but do I hear you lads all standing about asking each other what just happened? What's the good of that when I've been standing out here longer than most of you?"

He points at Pendrake. "You've the right of it. Your friend here - blimey, you're a big one, aren't you? We could've done with someone your size with us back in the day - he wouldn't have seen anything, coming up to the Dragon the way he did. Too many tall buildings on both sides of Merchant's Ave, even at his height. And maybe the priest just wasn't looking. But you both felt the gust of wind, didn't you? 'Course you did. Everyone in Orussus would have. Probably didn't think anything of it. That's because you had to be looking the right way. Eh?"

He's a talkative old man, though he takes his time getting to the point.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Sprechen you uf being right facing to see, Please sir, Vich vay fas wind comink und vich vay goinink? You vere oot here, so vhat you see?"

orsal

LEW Judge
Ngikhnit turns his attention to the old man. He says nothing, but raises his giant-sized flail a bit higher while listening. It's not hard to guess that the half-giant is hoping this is the kind of "disturbance" that can be remedied by a little physical force. Or a lot of physical force. And any casual observer can guess that Ngikhnit is capable of a lot of physical force.

Trouvere

Explorer
"Well, here's how it was," begins the old man. "I was out for my evening constitutional, same as always - you have to keep your joints moving or they'll seize up and one day you'll just stop - and I said to myself, 'Gil, twice round the Square and -'"

He belatedly takes note of Ngikhnit's response, and for some reason it hastens his tongue. "Anyway, just as I got here, I happened to look up at the sky, and there it was."

He points high up and eastwards. "Right there, between the Dog's Eye and the point of the Arrowhead, see? The stars are brightmoths, they say, and the sun tries to eat them. I don't know the right of that, but you see them now and then, don't you, stars that appear and flash across the sky and go again? But this one, at first it just hung there, growing brighter as though it were coming dead on closer and closer, and then down, down it came and clear overhead, and out that way towards the great sea. It must have been nearer than most, because you could see it glowing red, and trailing a black cloud, and the air shook as it passed, and I shouted and others cried out to see it, and then came the great gust of wind from the west, and most people hurried their steps on their way home."

"We saw it too!" says one of the boys. "It was just as he says."

Walking Dad

First Post
Midias

"Judging from his tale, I would say we have to move west." Midias remarks at the man who has seemingly some problems with the common language. "Who comes with me?" He asks the group.

[sblock=OOC]

---

Midias Sunchosen
AC 17 (T11, FF16), HP 16/18, F +5,R+1,W+5
0 Level: Detect Magic, 2x Light
1 Level: Cure Light Wounds (d) - Bless, Command, Shield of Faith

Effects: -

XP:2.550
Gold: 363.5
Got in last adventure: 4 CLW scrolls

[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
"Far enough west to be out in the sea," says Gil. At this moment, the side door to the tavern opens to reveal Joe Smith himself, who nods at the group.

"Boys. Mister Gillin," he says. "Your evening walk has brought you past my Inn, I see."

The old man puts thoughts of falling stars from his mind immediately. "It's a good walk. Not too many hills for my old legs," he returns.

"It is that," says Joe. "Now, there aren't so many adventurers around of late, so I find I've a bit of food I bought in going uneaten. Won't keep, unless I get a priest to say a prayer or two over it. Wouldn't want to call a young acolyte from his duties. You'd be doing me a favour if you'd take it, to save me the trouble of throwing it out."

"Is that right?" Gil asks. "Waste's a terrible thing, I've always said."

The boys are already pushing forward with their baskets, and Joe doesn't find it at all odd that Gil would be carrying a bowl with him on his end of day excursion. It's obvious to anyone that this is a rote conversation they've had many times before. In quick order, the containers are filled with roots and green leafy things, bread, beef, soft cheese and fruit, none of which looks past its best.

"How's Mildred?" Joe asks as the transfer continues.

"Hard-headed as ever," Gil answers. "There's a time when I took her everywhere with me, but she's heavier than she used to be."

Joe nods shortly. "Go straight home, and give your mothers my greetings," he says as the boys scamper off. "You should head home too, Gillin," he adds, and goes back inside to his bar.

"Mebbe I will, mebbe I will. Streets aren't as safe as they were when I was young," the old man says to himself.

orsal

LEW Judge
He points high up and eastwards. "Right there, between the Dog's Eye and the point of the Arrowhead, see? The stars are brightmoths, they say, and the sun tries to eat them. I don't know the right of that, but you see them now and then, don't you, stars that appear and flash across the sky and go again? But this one, at first it just hung there, growing brighter as though it were coming dead on closer and closer, and then down, down it came and clear overhead, and out that way towards the great sea. It must have been nearer than most, because you could see it glowing red, and trailing a black cloud, and the air shook as it passed, and I shouted and others cried out to see it, and then came the great gust of wind from the west, and most people hurried their steps on their way home."

Ngikhnit loosens his grasp of his weapon, realizing to his dismay that he can't very well attack a star with his flail.

Boddynock

First Post
Peladus frowns as the old man's tale unfolds. He watches the encounter with Joe with interest and cocks his head to one side at the priest's invitation.

After a moment's thought he says, "So a star flew across the sky and into the sea? Hmm, I don't know that there'd be much to see but still ... a pleasant enough evening for a stroll. Shall we?"

With a smile, he joins the giant and says, "Welcome, friend. I haven't seen you around. What's your name? Mine is Peladus. Now you look like a handy fellow in a fight. Will you join us in this expedition?"

[sblock=Today’s Spells]Spells per day: 4/3

Cantrips:
Detect Magic
Light

Level 1:
Color Spray
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Pendrake gets a clue as the group talks of going west, " thank you most revered priest. It seems we haf need of looking into zees fallen star. ist not goot omen."

Remove ads