T20 Traveller - The Kursis Charter (complete Aug 8th 2005)

Morte

Explorer
Act V: Kerin's Tyr - Dust and Bullets

Date: 191-993 Imperial.
Location: Kerin’s Tyr (0620), the Liberty Alliance, Sarragh’s Stead.

“The Carval? They are many. Many guns and horses. They fight Theocratic Republic, take their guns, control other tribes. Because they stop the Theocratic people, they say they are lords of these lands, between the towns and the mountains. They come to the farms, the camps, and call for ‘tribute’. People they take, and animals and weapons and food. Now other tribes are Carval. You no pay tribute, they start raiding. Kill people, take herd. Many plains people move away and leave land to them, or they join and become Carval. Farm people go too. We think maybe we move, find new pastures, hard journey but no Carval. But we try new guns first. You teach.”

Sir David listened to Goniss, the leader of the six Artath, and then took them out to the firing range for a little demonstration. The Artath put four rounds a minute into a target at one hundred meters, standing in his stirrups, the horse ignoring the shots. He reloaded his cap and ball carbine with great flair, whipping the ramrod around in a blur. Sir David fired twenty-four rounds in the same time with a self-loading carbine. A wave of low murmurs and excited talk came from the nomads. They compared groups, and found that Goniss had done almost as well with a smoothbore carbine as Sir David using a modern rifle with an optical sight.

“You’re a good shot,” said Sir David, “you’ll be better than me. Can you all shoot like that?”

“The Artath can shoot” replied Goniss, levelly.

The day wore on. The Artath trained and rode out with three carbines each. The first few farmhands went through the range drill as well. Pegs sprouted from the ground around the farmstead, found each other with string, and then started turning into foxholes and slit trenches. Fish wandered around cutting holes in perfectly good buildings. Silea redeployed her troupe of kids to making sandbags. And the watchman on the barn roof reported a dust column coming in, a lone rider by the look of it.

It was Goniss, returning with bad news. A Carval war party was closing in on the northeast herd. Two shepherds were driving the herd in as fast as they could while the rest of the Artath party screened them.

“What will the Carval be after, right now?” asked Maelcum.

“They want shoot herders and take some Arked. Make easier to get tribute next time.”

“How long before they reach the herd?”

“They riding easy, three hours. We go back quick, we get there sooner.”

“Alright. Three minutes.”

Maelcum fired a string of instructions to the other Avaricious, the farmhands, the children, and anyone else who came near enough. Precisely three minutes later Goniss, Maelcum, Sir David and four of the more adventurous farmhands rode out, heads spinning. Behind them, the last of the children vanished indoors and the remainder of the carbine-savvy farmhands went into the foxhole by the well.

“So”, said Maelcum to Goniss once he was sure the horse wasn’t going to offload him just yet, “can we find any sort of cover to fire from?”

“Grass, small slopes, dust from herd. Few bushes. Nothing to stop bullets.”

“We’ll use the dust.” He thought for a few seconds. “Tell me, what would the Carval normally do if…”

Sir David, Maelcum, and two farmhands dismounted just before the group emerged on the far side of the herd and took prone firing positions as the last few furry pigs trotted past. The horse nomads took their mounts by the reins, and edged off with the herd, lying flat in their saddles and trying not to eat too much dust.

A few minutes later the raiding party of twenty or so Carval ran into a slow patter of aimed 7mm high velocity fire, Maelcum keeping the rate down so as to avoid giving the impression of larger numbers. It had three of them out of their saddles before they’d spread and hit a gallop. The one in the fancy hat with the lever rifle was first to go, hit by Maelcum’s hunting rifle. The Carval spread to both wings, planning to circle their enemies and charge them from all directions.

Their left wing ran into a skirmish line of Artath, peeling off the herd and waiting to gun them down. That side turned into a frantic, wheeling and very deadly firefight in the dust, using tactics developed for cavalry with slow-loading muskets and revolvers. The Carval had fifty percent greater numbers, but the Artath had initial surprise and twenty rounds per minute.

The group on the ground weren’t so used to dealing with horsemen who wheeled in and out of the dust at breakneck speed, darting in from all directions to fire and darting away. Two of them got shot in the back – one a farmhand who died coughing blood, and the other Sir David whose flak vest saved him. But their opponents weren’t used to off-worlders who would shoot a precious and extremely valuable horse out from under its rider, then snipe the rider as he tried to get up. The two farmhands found it pretty shocking too, they almost stopped firing a couple of times.

And then it was over, four or five Carval galloping away low in their saddles.

Goniss rode up, looking quite pleased about the fresh bullet strip across his forearm, with the surviving half of the Artath. He looked at the dead horses in confusion. Sir David shrugged. “The Carval will have to prove a point, now?”

“Two days. Or three, if there is luck.”

“We should get back and prepare for the real trouble” said Maelcum.

Bluebear

First Post
I'm enjoying this story (as well as that about the Bray Kaeven). Are there any other Traveller stories on Story Hour? If so, which are they?

Secondly, how do you like the T20 rules compared to other Traveller rules . . . and why did you decide to use T20? Finally, if you had to do it again, would you use the T20 rules or revert to another older set (and if so, why)?

Morte

Explorer
Bluebear said:
I'm enjoying this story (as well as that about the Bray Kaeven). Are there any other Traveller stories on Story Hour? If so, which are they?

Not really -- Broccoli_Head's SH seems to have faded away (and mine, um, ah...). You could check out Raconteur's Rest

Secondly, how do you like the T20 rules compared to other Traveller rules . . .

They're about the same.

The main reason to play T20 is it's D20 -- if you already know/have D20, or the people you inted to play with do, then you need a pretty good reason to go elsewhere. Also, it's the most complete line from the view of a player/GM -- they have a setting book which is actually in print, and some adventures, and some vehicle books and so on.

GURPS is a bigger-yet-cleaner ruleset, but GURPS is an old Texan dialect word for "you need twice as many books as you thought you did and at least one is out of print". Also GURPS trade is realistic, i.e. it forces ships to move on as fast as they can and keep the cargo turning over or go broke, whereas T20 and CT have completely arbitrary and unrealistic "it takes a week on planet to find cargo" rules that work better in actual play. There are some lovely books for GURPS but they seem to be meant more for collectors (who are the majority of the Trav market) than gamers.

I wouldn't touch pure CT -- "roll over 8 and consult a two page list of modifiers" etc -- and I don't know anyone who does. They plug in the DGP task system, and use some house rule from a 1981 magazine to get around book 4 producing characters twice as powerful as book 2, and so on and so forth. It's OK if you've been playing 20+ years and finalised your last house rule in 1988, or you can get someone like that to sort it out for you. But I wouldn't try to play using the CT reprints currently available.

Megatraveller is not bad at all, it's pretty much a tidied up CT. When I started my T20 game it was only available on eBay and rather rare/expensive so I ruled it out, but there are PDFs from DTRPG now. If you're OK with PDFs it's a good option.

and why did you decide to use T20?

They had free PDF "lite rules" and a free PDF adventure (the one you're reading, but it's no longer free). Nobody else did. Also I prefer PDFs to paper, and T20 is the most PDF-oriented line.

Finally, if you had to do it again, would you use the T20 rules or revert to another older set (and if so, why)?

I'd play whichever I could get other people to play, frankly. I've GMd and played all of the rules above, I think they're about the same, i.e. all are usable and none are great. Pick what your group likes, or your game store stocks, or whatever you can get a discount on.

doghead

thotd
I am here.

Morte said:
Now we’re here on the bridge, with the door shut and no juice, and there’s maybe eight hours of air. And I’m f-cked if I know what to do.​

And this is begining to look like the diabolical mess that Maerdywn has cooked up for us in his pbp game here at ENWorld.

Got another 3 pages to go. Going to save it for tomorrow night.

doghead

thotd
And then there were none.

Morte said:
<snip>

I'd play whichever I could get other people to play, frankly. I've GMd and played all of the rules above, I think they're about the same, i.e. all are usable and none are great. Pick what your group likes, or your game store stocks, or whatever you can get a discount on.

I've played both CT and T20 and would agree. His description of CT is spot on (although they remain my favourite rules for sentimental reasons). The T20 generation system was a little confusing, but the game seems to play quite nicely.

Morte, does T20 have the ship, vehicle and robot creation rules of CT. I spent hours building things with these. Especially low tech robots.

And thanks for the SH.

the head of the dog.

Morte

Explorer
doghead said:
Morte, does T20 have the ship, vehicle and robot creation rules of CT. I spent hours building things with these. Especially low tech robots.

Yeah, they're all there. My idea of ship design is "Google for somebody else's if you can", but I've done some T20 ships and there are design systems for vehicles and robots and computers too. It's all pretty similar to CT in use, except the numbers come out a few percent different.

TDRandall

Explorer
*poke poke* Morte?

Was looking through the story hours in my special "I like to read these" folder, and noticed yours had dropped to the bottom.

I'd really like to hear how things developed further in this game!

You still with us?

Morte

Explorer
TDRandall said:
*poke poke*

*ow ow*

Er, um, yeah. Still here. Stuff happened. Next update half-written (and has been for months). Well I suppose I should get something together then. Be back in a day or two.

Morte

Explorer
Act V: Kerin's Tyr - The Battle of Sarragh's Stead (I)

Date: 193-993 Imperial.
Location: Kerin’s Tyr (0620), the Liberty Alliance, Sarragh’s Stead.

It turned out that they had two days.

Maelcum got his trenches, dugouts and firing points but not his barbed wire – the messenger went off to town, and nothing came back. On the morning of the second day after the fight with the rustlers, the sound of sporadic shots drifted over the hill. In the next few minutes two scouts came galloping back into camp (they never saw the third). Three hundred Carval followed them in a contemptuous rush, ignoring the shots and sweeping into the compound to use their revolvers and sabres.

It didn’t quite work out like that.

They got inside the farmstead sure enough, with no palisade or wire to form a physical perimeter, but they rode straight into Maelcum’s “kill zone”. The farmhouse, the barn, and the redoubt built around the well had interlocking fire over the whole area. There was nowhere that wasn’t in sight of at least two of them. Although Maelcum quietly wished for a couple of medium machine guns – it’s hard to hit a moving horseman with a rifle, and the locals still couldn’t grasp shooting horses – the hail of fire from the carbines was telling. The Carval who swept out of the compound left forty bodies on the ground. The defenders took a couple of wounds to flying splinters.

“Next time they’ll do it properly” said Maelcum. “Right, we’ll get everyone in place during the lull”.

The Carval withdrew to about a kilometre, behind cover, leaving snipers in the scrub to harry the defenders. The defenders harried them back, getting the better of the exchange from behind sandbags and stout wood.

The Carval had worked out that they weren’t going to just ride in and shoot everybody. Their next attack was about capturing firing positions inside the perimeter, to get an easier approach to the farmhouse and cut down on the crossfire. It came under cover of smoke, with feints on the far side of the camp, and it achieved some success. A rush of attackers swept over two of the bunkers between the farmhouse and the river. They took heavy losses, but enough remained to drop into the bunkers with sword and pistol. Soon any defender who fired from that side of the farmhouse had to get their shot off quickly and duck sharpish, if they didn’t want an attacker trying to put a bullet back through their loophole.

With a toehold on the grounds, i.e. a bargaining position, the Carval offered a parlay. Sarragh and Sir David went out to talk, while Maelcum watched through his rifle scope.

The Carval spoke much better Galanglic than the Artath. Perhaps it was due to their time battling the Theocratic Republic. Their leader, or spokesman, sat straight in his saddle and delivered a monologue rather as if he’d memorised it. Sir David wondered if he was just a messenger for the real leader.

“You fight well. Not like farmers. Really I should kill you all, to make an example, and burn all the farms within a morning’s ride. But I like you. You can go, if you wish, all of you. Take a horse and a meat animal each, and what you can drag behind. Go more than two days’ ride and we of the Carval will give you our mercy. Or join the tribe and have our protection. You have three hours to decide. Then we burn the farm.”

The spokesman or leader, whatever he was, turned in the saddle and waved forward another nomad. This one was on foot, leading a six-legged poni (the nomads rode horses) which dragged an over-sized stretcher affair. On it lay four bodies.

“Here, we brought your dead. You can bury them while you decide.”

It was the farmhands who’d occupied the two bunkers. They were cut about. Sir David looked at a Vargr’s upper jaw, hanging on by a flap of skin, and figured this for psychological warfare. Bringing the bodies in and burying them was bound to put the wind up the defenders.

He returned the compliment by inviting the Carval to collect their own dead, sending one or two unarmed me with stretchers at a time. “Three hours should be enough for you to retrieve all these bodies” he said. “Probably”.

In a dim room on the top floor, Maelcum knelt on a table well back from the window in his chameleon smock. He watched the conversation through the sight on his rifle, getting used to faces, checking for body armour. He had a look on infra red, adjusting the controls to make it look like night.

The time passed, and the Carval spokesman came back for his answer. Sir David told him that if the Carval left now he would not pursue them in his spaceship with laser turrets after they retreated from the farmstead. With the ritual exchange of sneers completed, the two parties went back to their troops. The firing started up again a few minutes later.

The Carval who’d taken the bunkers near the farm sat tight, as more pushed up under cover of smoke and musketry to join them. Maelcum and Fish watched closely, waiting for the opportunity the major had predicted, their moment for the telling counterstroke. It took about five minutes, then Maelcum picked out the Carval leaders moving in to direct an assault spearheaded from the bunkers. He called Fish and gave the order.

Downstairs the defenders unleashed a hail of fire. Seven buckets flew out of assorted farmhouse windows and sailed towards the occupied bunkers, dropping two into the nearer bunker but missing the other altogether. The massed nomads in the unlucky dugout enjoyed a brief glimpse of Anderson’s Patented Fertiliser And Nail Bombs, before their hole went off the “taken” list and onto “no man’s land”. Meanwhile Maelcum shot the most senior-looking Carval leader through the left lung at three hundred meters, then lined up the tricky headshot on the one who seemed to do the most thinking, talking and gesturing at defensive weak spots. That one popped up to shout orders, so he took a round in the belly. The next shot went through his lowered head as he bent forward to clutch at the wound.

The organised assault turned into a wild, screaming charge. It was much like the first attack except that the nomads were coming for vengeance instead of entertainment. It did slightly better – the defenders were deprived of two bunkers that provided part of their crossfire. One of the Carval came flying off his horse, jammed a cap and ball revolver into a firing port, and ventilated the Vargr on the inside. He put another two rounds into Sir David, who was really glad he’d brought that flak vest because he got off with a couple of bruises.

In the farmyard, a grizzled rider waved a dirty yellow fur cap in a circle over his head and brought it down as if to spear the farmhouse door. Riders converged on the door and started trying to pry it open, to get inside the defences and into sword range. It was a two part door; as they got the top part open Fish sailed another nail bomb out into the yard. Yellow cap caught it, and aimed it straight into the farmhouse, over his fellows, with an exultant snarl.

It bounced once on the floor inside and skipped down the stairs into the infirmary. The explosion came a couple of seconds later.

Remove ads