D&D 5E Take 10 or Roll d20

ren1999

First Post
XD and Advantage/Disadvantage are nice ideas but time consuming.

I like the fact that we can roll monster damage or just deduct a median damage number without a roll.

What if we did that for XD? You can roll XD or just use a median XD number?

You can use your static 10 ability defense or roll a d20 in place of that static 10.

What do you think?

On a side note, these extra XD actions waste as much game time as additional actions.

If Mike M. and the team abandon this, they should consider an action economy of 1 action and 1 reaction at 1st level.

Add 1 off-hand action, one minor or maneuver action at higher levels.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
What is it you have against rolling dice? It seems like ever rule idea you throw out here on ENWorld is to cut back on people rolling dice. I think most of us play roleplaying games BECAUSE we roll dice. And it explains why every different RPG always presents a new and unique dice rolling mechanic.

I'm guessing you never play RPGs like Champions or Shadowrun, where you are rolling entire fistfuls of d6s, do you? ;)

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
XD and Advantage/Disadvantage are nice ideas but time consuming.

I like the fact that we can roll monster damage or just deduct a median damage number without a roll.

What if we did that for XD? You can roll XD or just use a median XD number?

You can use your static 10 ability defense or roll a d20 in place of that static 10.

What do you think?

On a side note, these extra XD actions waste as much game time as additional actions.

If Mike M. and the team abandon this, they should consider an action economy of 1 action and 1 reaction at 1st level.

Add 1 off-hand action, one minor or maneuver action at higher levels.

I agree. I already modify any D&D game I play (any edition) to use a D20 defense roll rather than a static 10 (though I realize that extra rolling is anathema to you;)).

I'm all for D&D Next being usable both ways like this. Seems like a very easy module or optional rule, or as a standard choice for the game (instead of optional). As long as they have the math balanced for their bounded accuracy concept, either option shoulc work without a problem.

:)

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
no (dice rolling fun) and no (action economy more complex than XD)

That's Cool...especially as it seems D&D Next is being designed in a way that you can use what you do want, and not use what you don't want.

No dice rolling fun for you, lots of dice rolling fun for me. Win-Win.:cool:

MarauderX

Explorer
No dice rolling fun for you, lots of dice rolling fun for me. Win-Win.:cool:

I concur. I've been in groups where the dice rolling takes preparation, rubbing, swirling, shaking, rattling and more time than anything else in the game before it actually hits a number. I have to remind people this isn't acceptable Vegas (even when I make it out to game in Vegas). Others are ready to drop a roll every 30 seconds just to move things along. I'll be altering 5E to suit the speed of the game I'm running and I will expect you to do the same.

Remove ads