D&D (2024) Take A Closer Look At The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide

WotC shares video with a deeper dive

Wizards of the Coast has just shared a video delving into the upcoming One D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, due for release in 2024.

Scroll down to post #4, below, for a more detailed text summary!
  • Chapter 1 -- basic concepts
  • Chapter 2 -- Advice, common issues
  • Chapter 3 -- Rules cyclopedia
  • Chapter 4 -- Adventure building
  • Chapter 5 -- Campaign building
  • Chapter 6 -- Cosmology
  • Chapter 7 -- Magic items
  • Chapter 8 -- 'A surprise'
  • Appendices -- maps, lore glossary

Iamoutofhere

Explorer
So it’s not a new edition but it is a new edition. So races will be distinct but all the same. So the rules will be changed but not changed. We support local gaming stores whilst we drive everybody online and away from them…etc etc….it goes on. We were going to screw over all the 3rd party content creators but we got caught so we never wanted to do that actually. I don’t believe a word this company or it’s representatives say anymore and the marketing strategy is chaos. But, but, but….I hear you say? I think this company are ruining D&D. YMMV 👍

This too is logical, since D&D4e is more well known to younger Dungeon Masters than Greyhawk.
So a DMG24 with Nentir Vale could also be a good seller.

Either way, this makes D&D24 core books exciting. Pity we cannot have both Nentir Vale and Greyhawk.
Ok, hear me out... the world of the Nentir Vale pretty much steals the gods and locales of Greyhawk.

What if the Nentir Vale was shoehorned in to the world of Oerth? Maybe a continent other than Oerik? I know there is a basic Oerth world map that had land masses to the West of the Flanaess, but it was never detailed beyond general terms, beyond fan extrapolation.

Let's bring back both by merging them as different regions of the same world! Heck, it's not weird for local gods and villains to be slightly different than the same gods in other areas in the world.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd love to see skill challenges included in the DMG. I've had great success in running skill challenges as a story device for my group. Build a scene consisting of 3 or 4 smaller scenes, each scene requires a certain number of rolls (not successes) to continue to the next scene. If the players get 3 failures something bad happens, but if they reach the end of the last scene before that happens the skill challenge succeeds. Also skill challenges can and should include tool proficiences as well as allow for crazy ideas that maybe wouldn't be as okay in for example combat.
I think they should come back as a tool, but not the end all method of resolution, and with some flexibility on how they can work.

So where exactly are we with what exactly these new books are?

We were told we cannot call it 5e, nor 5.5e, nor 6e. But now it seems like they are saying it is just a revision of 5e. Jeremy Crawford literally said, 'This is NOT 5th editon or even 5.5. This is very important nuance.... '

What are we allowed to call it now?
That is not what he said. He was misquoted and the quote was corrected later. He said this is not 6e, nor 5.5e. It is, like they have always said, 5e

So where exactly are we with what exactly these new books are?

We were told we cannot call it 5e, nor 5.5e, nor 6e. But now it seems like they are saying it is just a revision of 5e. Jeremy Crawford literally said, 'This is NOT 5th editon or even 5.5. This is very important nuance.... '

What are we allowed to call it now?
Wizards has always been clear with their messaging. People saying otherwise are not listening/reading and are creating their own narrative. Or are listening to others with their own narrative, and that is confusing them. There are Wizards-haters who are trying to confuse the community on purpose as a way to stick it to the man.

It's right here: One D&D

OneDnD is not the name of the game. It is an initiative, essentially a project name like D&D Next. It represents takes taking the core of 5E, enhancing/improving it after 10 years of our legitimate criticisms and feedback, in order to create a better experience, and it merges that with DDB and a new VTT that allows both physical and digital play, because people play differently and more often remotely, these days.

The 2024 books will still be using 5E mechanics, but it takes our legitimate criticisms and feedback, to enhance for clarity, be more inclusive, and yes give us some new stuff that we can hype up over. Look at the positive interest in the new DMG! People want this!

And no, they are not changing the name of the game. They want it to be D&D, and this has been their stance since D&DNext playtest 10 years ago. They want D&D to be able to evolve with the times, and yes, this is a big evolution.

Sure, it is a legitimate discussion what people should (or just will) call the new books, to differentiate them. But most people don't agree what "edition" even means anymore. Wizards wants to get away from the edition wars. By holding on to the travesty of the 3.5 marketing, people are keeping the war alive.

I'm just going to call them the 2024 rulebooks and 2014 rulebooks, and I can totally see them using the Anniversary Edition to differentiate the books themselves. But they don't have that pinned down yet, as it is essentially marketing, not design. We are in the design and playtest portion of things.

I understand that people don't want to give the D&D team grace, after being hurt. But just because they were hurt, it doesn't mean that they are not trying to hurt Wizards in return. They can do that, but it is obvious to me what they are doing.

Last edited:

So it’s not a new edition but it is a new edition. So races will be distinct but all the same. So the rules will be changed but not changed. We support local gaming stores whilst we drive everybody online and away from them…etc etc….it goes on.
I laughed when I read this so hard I am glad I don't have a drink.
But yeah that is cooperate double talk, its a new edition by any standards I know of.
We were going to screw over all the 3rd party content creators but we got caught so we never wanted to do that actually. I don’t believe a word this company or it’s representatives say anymore and the marketing strategy is chaos. But, but, but….I hear you say? I think this company are ruining D&D. YMMV 👍

dave2008

Legend
The gem dragons wern't exactly jaw dropping, but they were definitely more interesting than the metallic and chromatic dragons.

A combination of in-built spellcasting and unique legendary actions made them feel less like a copy and paste job.
I agree, but there are some baseline design choices I think are just wrong with dragons. The fact the adult, ancient, and great wyrm dragons all do the same base bite damage (2d10) is just foolish to me. Every attack from a dragon should be scary, and the is just not the case.

Remove ads

Remove ads