D&D (2024) Take A Closer Look At The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide

WotC shares video with a deeper dive

Wizards of the Coast has just shared a video delving into the upcoming One D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, due for release in 2024.

Scroll down to post #4, below, for a more detailed text summary!
  • Chapter 1 -- basic concepts
  • Chapter 2 -- Advice, common issues
  • Chapter 3 -- Rules cyclopedia
  • Chapter 4 -- Adventure building
  • Chapter 5 -- Campaign building
  • Chapter 6 -- Cosmology
  • Chapter 7 -- Magic items
  • Chapter 8 -- 'A surprise'
  • Appendices -- maps, lore glossary

Iamoutofhere

Explorer
yeah, clearly completely missing what they actually said helps your case… you are as wrong as you can be, but keep insisting that you are not
I listened carefully to every word and didn’t hear anything to support you telling me I’m away with the fairies. You seem super keen to buy into the whole WOTC double talkin’ jive…good for you. Enjoy the systematic dismantling of the game being ground into dust as the corporate juggernaut tramples on through to squeeze out every cent you have. Lol…bit over dramatic..sorry. Have a good day ⭐👍

dave2008

Legend
Actually, I am going to disagree with you hear a bit.
For what it’s worth, nobody seems to be talking about the most mechanically interesting dragons that WotC published in D&D: the (chromatic dragons from 2011’s Monster Vault (a core product 4E’s Essentials product line).
Actually, I lot of people talk about how good 4e monster design was (a bit exaggerated IMO) and in particular Threats from the Nentir Vale. I do agree that book is probably the high water mark, or close to it, for 4e monster design.
By 2011, WotC had finally nailed down their monster math for 4E,
I would say the monster math was improved, but not "nailed down." At high levels and for solos, the monsters were terrible under powered. Blog42 did a great article on this: how, relatively speaking, epic level 4e monsters were weaker than heroic tier 4e monsters. The math is pretty straightforward and MM3 only helped very slightly. I used the revised monster level damage in blog42 for my 4e monsters and they ran much better.
For these dragons in particular, the designs leaned hard into 4E’s monster roles.
Actually, by MM3 they back away from the roles a bit. You will notice the changed the monster math so the roles were mechanically (from a numbers standpoint) more similar. I don't know that they really added many abilities that made them better suited to their role either. They typical had those from the get go, IIRC.
All of these dragons were also “solo” monsters, meaning they were designed to fight alone against a party, but the specific roles gave each one vastly different tactics and mechanics to support those tactics. A red dragon was a “solo soldier”, so it stayed in melee and got a freebie claw or bite attack on initiative 10, regardless of what other actions it took. A blue dragon was a “solo artillery”, so on initiative 10 it would fly a short distance (without provoking opportunity attacks) and then breathe a “lightning burst” area attack at some distant foes. In addition to their classic breath weapons, most of those dragons also had another form breath weapon that recharged separately and supported the dragon’s role (the blue dragon’s lightning burst is one example). There were many more unique features that protected these dragons’ action economy too. I highly recommend folks at least review these designs directly—they’re really fun to play.
I do agree the variety between different types of dragons was superior in 4e, with 1 caveat: You get that and sometimes more when you consider the lair actions 5e provides for each dragon type.
These were the last core dragons released before 5E… and 5E’s monster design in 2014 was a major step backward.
Not really. In a lot of ways 5e dragons are mechanically superior to 4e dragons. Overall, I think they are about on par.

Legendary actions / mythic actions / legendary resistance / mythic trait are arguably better for solo play than the 4e solos which got 2 action points, and one "instinct action" by MM3 to deal with action economy and lock-down. If you include 5e lair actions, and you should, 5e dragons are likely superior than 4e dragons (and this is without including spellcasting variants). With all the options turned on, 5e dragons have superior action economy and lockdown prevention to 4e dragons, and similar type differention diversity

Hurin70

Adventurer
What does it matter?

No seriously. WotC can call it the 10th edition, D&D '24, or D&D 5.11 for Workgroups. The following is still true.

• It is backwards compatible with the current 5e material.
  • It is a revision of elements from said edition that either the devs or the community has asked for.
  • Older material will work with it, but obviously people will need to decide which version of a given mechanic they will use.
  • Older stuff will be revised and reprinted, which was the case during the lifespan of 5e (the SCAG -> Tasha's and Monsters of the Multiverse being 5e mid-edition versions of material updating).
  • It will be assumed you are playing using the most recent version of the books going forward.

The above is indisputably true.

I agree with some of your points, though I think some people are disputing your first and third points about backwards compatibility. I'll wait and see myself, because I'm not quite ready to accept WotC at its word right now after the OGL debacle, and there seems an inherent tension between new rules and backwards compatibility.

Now whether what WotC and what the community calls it the same thing is irrelevant. A nomenclature will arise. (TSR never recognized the Holmes/BX/BECMI/Cyclopedia split, to them it was only ever D&D opposed to AD&D).

Which makes this sort of conspiracy that WotC has ulterior motives for not calling it an edition ultimately pointless. The community will eventually settle on what to call it. WotC will release new books in 24. Whether that constitutes a new edition or not is irrelevant.

Fair enough, though it seems WotC is trying really hard to control the narrative and the nomenclature here in a way that allows them to both have their cake and eat it too. So I'm not yet ready to buy in to that.

... confusion must clearly just be all these unethical players' fault.
First thing I agree with.

That is a logical fallacy you fall victim to.
I don't know if it has a special name, but just because they failed with communication in one area does not make the one with clear communication incomprehensible...

On a side note. You really should not use 88 in a nickname if you communicate with Germans. That makes a very bad impression.

Last edited:

Hohoho, absolutely not. They are making their OWN One D&D with changes to the rules born out of necessity (much of the PHB is not in the SRD) and evolution (consolidated spells lists, ASI part of point buy, subclasses gained at the same level for every class, race, er heritage split into cultural and biological traits, etc).

It's called Black Flag and there are two playtest documents out in the wild.
oh... so the same thing just under a different name with some marketing behind it. Thanks but no thanks

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So... is that dragon art new? Is that gonna be the cover to the new DMG?

I hope they do a better job with optional rules inserts this time.

Also: Downtime. I'd like yet another revised pass at it (Xanathar's was much better, but the system still isn't there yet).

Also: Exploration. There's still gotta be a bit more going on here, IMO.

Finally: Are we going to get to playtest any of it? They told us we would, but with all the playtest delays, I'm starting to wonder.

Remove ads

Remove ads