D&D (2024) Take A Closer Look At The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide

WotC shares video with a deeper dive

Wizards of the Coast has just shared a video delving into the upcoming One D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, due for release in 2024.

Scroll down to post #4, below, for a more detailed text summary!
  • Chapter 1 -- basic concepts
  • Chapter 2 -- Advice, common issues
  • Chapter 3 -- Rules cyclopedia
  • Chapter 4 -- Adventure building
  • Chapter 5 -- Campaign building
  • Chapter 6 -- Cosmology
  • Chapter 7 -- Magic items
  • Chapter 8 -- 'A surprise'
  • Appendices -- maps, lore glossary

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Whenever I have any players (or DMs) who seem to be venturing anywhere near any problems whatsoever with the game or each other, I find it's useful to remind them, "Remember the first rule of gaming. It's the first rule of ANY game, so it doesn't need to be in the rulebooks. First Rule: Play Nice With Others. You learned this in preschool!"

I really haven't met anyone who has a lot of problem with this basic concept. I've certainly met people who have trouble with it in practice, but it usually works to remind them: Play Nice With Others.

It must be tough to play with people who don't understand this fundamental idea that is taught to small schoolchildren. I'm not trying to be condescending. It would really suck to be around people like that.

It's not worth the fight. TS is the guy who thinks player characters with backstories is tantamount to DM slavery.
I know they are not the most reasonable. I remember years back when Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes was coming out and I linked one of the previews of the Archdevil Moloch on the GITP Forums. TS kept trying to insist his Lore was 4e Lore invading other settings for mentioning Asmodeus.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
players who disregard everyone and everything ‘because the PHB tells them to’ (it doesn’t), seems to be a problem only you are facing, or not even you are facing.

A session 0 is levelsetting expectations, no more, no less. No one says that if it has not been addressed then, the DM just has to roll with it (or any player for that matter). If something bothers someone, they can bring it up at any time.

If you actually have these issues, drop those players
Back up. Look at the TCoE session zero & associated text that you along with@MonsterEnvy seem to be defending. Read through it & tell me what level of GM that you feel it's written for. In my reading it comes off as aimed squarely at a GM who is as new & inexperienced as a GM could possibly be rather than one who is experienced enough to know how to teach their players to engage with or have the experience to know how to teach their players what level of reach in some of the topics it covers is reasonable. Even if you feel that it's written towards a more experienced GM who somehow has no idea what this new fangled hickman revolution era "Session Zero" is.... what kind of hole were they living in?

Why exactly is it so abhorrent that there should be a player facing equivalent that helps new or experienced GMs get players involved without needing to make them personally teach their players individually or as a group the basics of how to session zero? are players being given an equal or even reasonable share of the work put on the GM by the session zero text? If so can you enumerate exactly what responsibilities they are given that the GM won't need to convince them of Do you feel that the respect the gm & "allow" the GM is a lacking extensive or excessive level of responsibility?

Your premise exists only on the grounds that the players hate each other and the DM, and have no wish to talk. Something I have never experienced.
Not at all, that's an extremely hostile way of framing perfectly reasonable problems like:
  • "Bob the playerdoesn't know what to do".. so there should be text aimed at helping bob instead of dumping it on the GM to fight the PHB.
  • "Bob the player doesn't understand how to work with players on this because the text tells him to decide for himself & there are no longer any mechanical pressures that might push him towards very quickly absorbing the kinds of things he should have raised a few sessions back".. so there should be text aimed at helping bob instead of dumping it on the GM to fight the PHB.
  • "There are lots of people like Bob the player & the player facing text does a god awful job of assisting them without needlessly dumping it on the GM".. so there should be text aimed at helping bob instead of dumping it on the GM to fight the PHB.
  • "Bob the player has a bit of social anxiety and is worried about speaking up/session zero spotlight/whatever".. so there should be text aimed at helping bob instead of dumping it on the GM to fight the PHB.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It's not worth the fight. TS is the guy who thinks player characters with backstories is tantamount to DM slavery.
And
I know they are not the most reasonable. I remember years back when Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes was coming out and I linked one of the previews of the Archdevil Moloch on the GITP Forums. TS kept trying to insist his Lore was 4e Lore invading other settings for mentioning Asmodeus.
And
You have to give credit to sheer bloodymindedness. If you make a point and no one agrees with you, over and over again, perhaps it’s time to reassess.

Mod Note:

Apparently, the rule about not making things personal has been rescinded.

OH WAIT! No it hasn’t.

Think better about posting like this. Disengagement is preferred over stirring the pot. Clear?

Iamoutofhere

Explorer
Maybe you would have more of a point, if you had any evidence for your statement.
You mean like the massive marketing push for One D&D which oddly stopped soon as Hasbeen got caught with their pants down over the OGL and they needed to distance themselves from a disaster of PR?

Anyway….evidence? Am I on trial? Lol, we are talking about a make believe game about pixies and strange talking mushrooms.

Enjoy your day, I was only joining in this discussion whilst waiting for a delivery and it arrived so I’m out of here 👍

mamba

Legend
Why exactly is it so abhorrent that there should be a player facing equivalent that helps new or experienced GMs get players involved without needing to make them personally teach their players individually or as a group the basics of how to session zero? are players being given an equal or even reasonable share of the work put on the GM by the session zero text?
given how you interpret these and think players act, I am surprised you would want this in a player facing book. All that does is make the players demand a session 0, so they can tell the DM what kind of campaign they want them to run, so their chars can shine as the superstars they are ;)

The solution here is to have players who act like regular humans and not like psychopaths who never had any interaction with a living being before

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I wonder how many DMs take so time off once every week to play a 4 hours game with a bunch of hostile strangers unable to communicate. I guess there's always the rare chance of getting ''That Guy'' at an AL open table, but its not like the game forces you to put up with the equivalent of psychological torture: its a game, its supposed to be fun.

And its not like having a game books giving the referee Divine Right Upon Their Game is plain written words would really do anything in the off chance such a table of savage gamers do exists.

You write game material for people wishing to play a game. Its not a essay on human communication, relation and discipline.

Remove ads

Remove ads