Take A Peek At The Sunless Citadel From Tales of the Yawning Portal

Oh. It's on the main product page. http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal

Toriel

Explorer
From the article: "The Sunless Citadel was a 32-page adventure which was buried underground, corrupted by a magic tree."

Wow. Was the product such a bad design that they had to dispose of it so extremely?

:)

I also think it was the toxicity of the adventure that corrupted the magic tree. Not the other way around. ;)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Does anyone know if the new Tomb of Horrors has anything like the old picture book that came with the original?

It should! But I am afraid it won't. Lost Shrine (which was clearly influenced by ToH in various ways) also had a illustration book, but again I don't think we will see it here.

Which is bad.

E

Elderbrain

No kidding. After "dawizard" everything else just feels like a nitpick.

OMG - You're referencing the infamous autocorrect error from Encyclopedia Magica (the four-book magic item compendium), where they changed every reference to a "mage" to "wizard", and neglected to consider what that would do to words such as "damage", which the autocorrect made into "dawizard", right? :cool:

trystero

Explorer
So, does anyone know the exact source for the Rimbaud quote? I can’t place it.

It looks like a loose translation of "La Rivière de Cassis". Google Translate gives the second stanza as:
Arthur Rimbaud said:
Everything rolls with revolting mysteries
From ancient campaigns;
Of visited dungeons, of important parks:
It is in these edges that one hears
The dead passions of the wandering knights:
But that salubrious is the wind.

OMG - You're referencing the infamous autocorrect error from Encyclopedia Magica (the four-book magic item compendium), where they changed every reference to a "mage" to "wizard", and neglected to consider what that would do to words such as "damage", which the autocorrect made into "dawizard", right? :cool:

And a couple times where image became iwizard.

L R Ballard

Explorer
No kidding. After "dawizard" everything else just feels like a nitpick.

Dawizard check made!

I discovered "Dawizard" recently while converting FRE1 "Shadowdale" for Classic Modules Today. The passage reads as follows: "Both the obelisk and the walls are made of an otherworldly substance, immune to damage made by weapons of less than +3 enchantment. They have 100 Structural Dawizard points, and they enjoy 5% magic resistance as well" (Greenwood 18).

Do I dare continue?

Dawizard check made!

I discovered "Dawizard" recently while converting FRE1 "Shadowdale" for Classic Modules Today. The passage reads as follows: "Both the obelisk and the walls are made of an otherworldly substance, immune to damage made by weapons of less than +3 enchantment. They have 100 Structural Dawizard points, and they enjoy 5% magic resistance as well" (Greenwood 18).

Do I dare continue?
Wonder why the highlighted word escaped wizarding

L R Ballard

Explorer
Wonder why the highlighted word escaped wizarding

I can offer only conjecture: 1) an editor concludes that "mage" needs to be changed to "wizard" and runs the errant "replace all"; then 2) the manuscript gets bumped up to the final editor, who adds an instance of "damage" but misses the "Dawizard" in the same paragraph. Maybe the final editor has a Curly the Stooge moment, thinking, Structural Dawizard--must be a technical term. I know I did.

N.B.: The error appears to be an earlier instance of a global replace gone awry. See the link to this article for a humorous repetition of "Dawizard" in the first volume of the 1994 Encyclopedia Magica:

http://selinker.livejournal.com/32929.html

P.S.: Ah, yes, the above posts already noted the 1994 reference. Curly moment number two!

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads