D&D 5E Take the Ready action.

If someone starts their turn in Spirit Guardians but wants to delay, they still have to make the save because they are there when their turn would have started. If that means you'd have to deal with the spell twice in a round - maybe consider not delaying

Yeah see this is why I don't bother with 'delay'.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Death saves happen when you are unconscious. You cannot do anything, including delay, when you are unconscious.

If someone starts their turn in Spirit Guardians but wants to delay, they still have to make the save because they are there when their turn would have started. If that means you'd have to deal with the spell twice in a round - maybe consider not delaying (which there should be downside to doing in the midst of a frantic combat). Everything is supposedly happening nearly instantaneously anyway, so if timing is slightly off sometimes, I don't worry about it. But like I said if it became an issue we'd address it then. Pretty sure spirit guardians has not been cast in my games yet - but there are other spells that work similarly and it hasn't really come up much.
So all "start of turn" effect happen on your normal initiative, but then you delay to a later turn, which starts a new turn (turns being what they are), so you do them again? Or what? This interpretation seems to discard the concept of "turn" when inconvenient, and use it when it is convenient.

So all "start of turn" effect happen on your normal initiative, but then you delay to a later turn, which starts a new turn (turns being what they are), so you do them again?
He did expressly say you cop the effects of SG twice in one round in this system.

So it seems like 'your turn starts' but your reactions don't refresh (even though your turn has started) but you then take your Spirit Guardian damage (because your turn has started) and then you delay your action till later in the round.

Later in the round when you actually decide to take your turn, you THEN get your reactions to refresh (even though your turn has already started), and you again take Spirt Guardian damage (for some reason), and you can then have your action as normal.

It's not a system for me I'm afraid.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
He did expressly say you cop the effects of SG twice in one round in this system.

So it seems like 'your turn starts' but your reactions don't refresh (even though your turn has started) but you then take your Spirit Guardian damage (because your turn has started) and then you delay your action till later in the round.

Later in the round when you actually decide to take your turn, you THEN get your reactions to refresh (even though your turn has already started), and you again take Spirt Guardian damage (for some reason), and you can then have your action as normal.

It's not a system for me I'm afraid.
It seems rather arbitrary about how it works.

It gets really intresting if youre targeted with Flesh to Stone.

You can just 'delay' your turns indefinitely, and never have to make the follow up saves to resist becoming petrified.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I’m happy there is no Delay action. Now that I’m confident in my understanding of the Ready action, I like it (a lot).

This thread wins!
❤️

I’m happy there is no Delay action. Now that I’m confident in my understanding of the Ready action, I like it (a lot).

This thread wins!
❤️

Honestly there really is no need. Its far more elegant just running it raw with tons of effects happening at the start of (or end of) your turn.

Allowing some kind of delay action doesnt play nice with any of them, and the only other option is to have a 'phantom' place in the initiative order (where you were last round) where those effects happen, but a latter place in the round where you take your turn.

The only cruddy thing about Ready is its a better option for Rogues than Fighters - the former hits like a truck with a single attack, while the Fighter relies on multiple attacks for his DPR (so Rogues get more from ready than Fighters).

That said, the Rogue is supposed to be the 'tactical round by round action management' type class with things to set up, bonus actions, potent reactions and so forth as opposed to the 'point and click' nature of the default Fighter, so it's probably a feature in some respect.

Casters get burnt bad as well as ANY spell readied uses concentration (an often missed rule) and the spell auto fizzles if your next round comes up and you havent cast the spell yet.

But screw those guys. They already get most of the fun options, so probably also a feature and not a bug.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
The only cruddy thing about Ready is its a better option for Rogues than Fighters - the former hits like a truck with a single attack, while the Fighter relies on multiple attacks for his DPR (so Rogues get more from ready than Fighters).

That said, the Rogue is supposed to be the 'tactical round by round action management' type class with things to set up, bonus actions, potent reactions and so forth as opposed to the 'point and click' nature of the default Fighter, so it's probably a feature in some respect.
Ah! Great point about rogues versus fighters, and a feather in the cap for Ready as its on brand for rogues to want to get the jump on a foe.

Remove ads