Take World War II To Your RPG Night With War Stories

A heavier take on the Year Zero Engine.

287545717_735554924259531_990248677625436426_n.jpg

Role playing games have roots in historical wargaming. Gygax and Arneson were inspired to add fantasy elements to their wargame campaign which began the foundations of Dungeons & Dragons. While historical wargames have flourished, they have often struggled in the roleplaying arena. While there are classics like Boot Hill and Gangbusters, RPG often seem to need a fantastical element to resonate with gamers. War Stories, by Firelock Games, looks to buck this trend by encouraging gamers to tell stories in World War II without monsters, magic or Cthulhu anywhere near the table. The company sent me a copy of the main rules for review along with some game aids. Did these rules survive first contact with the enemy? Let’s play to find out.

War Stories uses the classic Year Zero Engine created by Free League Publishing. This is the same engine that powers hit games like Tales From The Loop and Alien. Free League has a reputation for designing games that tailor the engine to the genre. Designers G. I. Garcia, Dave Semark and Michael Santana take an opposite approach here by sprinkling elements from those Free League titles, including elements from games like Blade Runner which traded in dice pools for escalating die types. If you’ve ever wanted to see what the lifepath system for Twilight: 2000 looked like for the original D6 die pool, you could probably lift it from this.

The core resolution remains the same. Players assemble a dice pool of d6 and look for rolls of 6 as successes. Players can choose to reroll some of the dice for more 6s at a risk of losing resources or taking damage. It’s here that War Stories takes a step away from other Year Zero games. Most of them incur a level or stress or a condition in exchange for a reroll. The designers instead take a little inspiration from Cortex Plus. Any ones rolled in the pool, called duds, are not just taken out of the pool but they also give the opposing side a Plot Point style resource to spend on future rolls. It adds a bit more tactical gaming to a system that’s generally known for being narrative.

Tactical elements abound in the War Stories book. It is a game where various World War II armaments get lovely illustrations (Indeed, the artwork throughout the book looks great). Combat feels a bit heavier than the usual Year Zero game with damage rolls, defense rolls and the like. But then, this is called War Stories, isn’t it? The opening rules discuss scaling the game from gritty, historical combat to cinematic action adventure tales. There are plenty of optional rules to add in or take out, which I like, but I also wish the designers had discussed which rules they use to achieve the different styles of the game. The default settings seem to lean towards a Saving Private Ryan type of game that nods to the grueling realities of war while still giving players a chance to have heroic moments for their characters.

The game walks a similar line in regards to historical accuracy. The archetypes contain two character types that are open to women in combat; the partisan fighter and the war correspondent. While the game drills down into specific elements of the war including a run down of what a paratrooper took with them into the field, there’s some discussion about how important accuracy is. The designers seem to take a similar tack to background that many tables take to rules accuracy; if it hampers your fun, change it. Nobody will send a history teacher assassin squad for anyone running a game with a mixed race and gender tank crew.

The book focuses on the European theater and squad based tactics. This is a game on squad based tactics featuring infantry. There are rules for larger battles but they exist primarily to add flavor to the skirmishes of the PCs. The rules on creating background characters seem inspired by Star Trek Adventures where a minor character can assist a main character or step in for a main character if they have no business on the current mission. Beware those mass battles, however; bad rolls can kill off beloved supporting characters as part of the cost of war.

War Stories is a heavier take on the Year Zero Engine that tackles a unique genre in RPGs. Fans of history should take note.

Rob Wieland

Rob Wieland

I wonder what timeline Free League will use. I know it's probably standard to expect it to start a D-Day/American intervention timeline, but I suspect the timeline will be backed up to May 1940 with the invasion of France.

Partly, since Free League is Swedish, Europe probably has a bit of a different take on the war than us Americans do. But, even if you start with a 1940 timeline, you could run a partisan game, or OSS missions, I would think. Same with the Pacific theater - apparently the Flying Tigers were in China by April 1941, and officially in combat by Dec 20 1941. Alot of stuff happened before we get into the war.

(WW2 always gives me a chance to brag on a guy from my hometown who fought in both the 101st Airborne and when rescued fought in the 1st Guards Tank Brigade of the Red Army... Joseph Beyrle - Wikipedia)

I wonder what timeline Free League will use. I know it's probably standard to expect it to start a D-Day/American intervention timeline, but I suspect the timeline will be backed up to May 1940 with the invasion of France.

Partly, since Free League is Swedish, Europe probably has a bit of a different take on the war than us Americans do. But, even if you start with a 1940 timeline, you could run a partisan game, or OSS missions, I would think. Same with the Pacific theater - apparently the Flying Tigers were in China by April 1941, and officially in combat by Dec 20 1941. Alot of stuff happened before we get into the war.

(WW2 always gives me a chance to brag on a guy from my hometown who fought in both the 101st Airborne and when rescued fought in the 1st Guards Tank Brigade of the Red Army... Joseph Beyrle - Wikipedia)
This isn't made by Free League. Firelock Games is using the open license on the Year Zero engine. It's a third party game.

R_J_K75

Legend
I teach the U.S. end of it every year as part of the survey of U.S. History (History B-17B). I review the origins of the war as part of it. My fathers experience was what led me into history. And yes, Versailles wasn't enforced and Britain and France missed an opportunity to head the whole thing off. I had a number of cousins off to the wonders of Vietnam. U.S. involvement ended (and later the whole war) while I was in high school. And yeah, they weren't talkative about it.
I dont want to turn this thread into a history lesson. Well actually I do, by nature of the RPG in topic, its hard not to. My father was in Viet Nam and was a History major in college so hes a huge military buff. He works at the Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park. The USS Sulivans, The USS Littlerock and the the hunter killer sub "the Croaker" is there. among other things.

I probably wrong as I know just enough about history to be dangerous, but wasn't France the ones that instigated the Viet Nam War?

R_J_K75

Legend
My grandparents (R.I.P.) suffered the Spanish civil war. This can be the most controversial topic among Spaniards. And if you dare to say these were the good guys and those the bad boys, you can get into troubles. I don't advice to say "Nationalist/Fascist forces" but Francoist or Natinal side, and the other as "republicans". The main media can tell a version about "who started the fight" but half country could disagree about who should feel guilty and ashamed.

My paternal grandfather told me once when his sergeant wanted to talk him seriously he answered "my sergeant, my sergeant!" with a (challenger) tone as warning he shouldn't test his patiente or "it would seem an accident". I mean in the true battlefield the authority is not about being rude as Sgt Hartman from the movie "the metalic jacket". My maternal grandmother lost her brother in the battle of Ebro. His last letter arrived at Christmas, and then at that home it wasn't a so happy day.

Manila, the capital of Philipines suffered a lot in the WWII. Here we should take care about the scars from the past.
Im sorry for your loss and the suffering of your relatives. Fighting in general sucks, let alone full out war.

Unfortunately, its human nature. In 1992 I was in high school, 17-18 y/o, 8th period American History Class. The topic of the class was war/human nature, not any particular war. I was never one to raise my hand and asked to be called on, Mr. Cannon made a statement I didn't agree with, so I called him out. In a nutshell the topic was in so many words Homosapien is an offensive species, strike first, ask questions later. I looked at the professor said, "I'll prove my point", I turned to the student next to me and grabbed his book off his desk and said something ridiculous like "Now its Mine". Guy got up and was going to kick my ass, and he would have. I politely gave him his book back, said thank you, looked at the professor and he said, "You've adequately proved your point".

THIS RPG SEEMS LIKE IT HAS POTENTIAL.
Seems like you could play from before the start of WWII and see how the players change history. And thank god no magic

MGibster

Legend
My grandfather was a WWII vet, and I remember the following conversation I had with him.

Me: Grandpa, what was your favorite country in Europe?

Grandpa: Austria.

Me: Why Austria? I've been to both Germany and Austria, and I couldn't tell them apart. I wouldn't have even known I was in Austria if it weren't for the border.

Grandpa: Nobody shot at me in Austria.

MGibster

Legend
This doesn't look like a Free League game. It uses Free League's Year Zero Engine, but it looks like it's made by Firelock Games who I only know from their buccaneer miniatures games.

Sorry, now in this moment I don't feel very confortable with the real wars. It is not like the conflicts happened centuries ago and you can read in History books. I would rather fictional wars in fantasy worlds, among other reasons because players don't know the future, but we know the allied forces won against the III reich.

How can I explain it? When Sadam Husseim invaded Kuwait in the 90's everybody was afraid that was a new Vietnam, and if you didn't live those years, you can't understand the surprise but also the relief when USA army was kicking-ass Iraki forces. You can watch a movie in the cinemas and you know the nazis were defeated, but you can't imagine the distress suffered by that generation, soldiers or civilians, who didn't know when the nightmare was going to end.

R_J_K75

Legend
My grandfather was a WWII vet, and I remember the following conversation I had with him.

Me: Grandpa, what was your favorite country in Europe?

Grandpa: Austria.

Me: Why Austria? I've been to both Germany and Austria, and I couldn't tell them apart. I wouldn't have even known I was in Austria if it weren't for the border.

Grandpa: Nobody shot at me in Austria.
Wasnt Hitler Austrian?

R_J_K75

Legend
How can I explain it? When Sadam Husseim invaded Kuwait in the 90's everybody was afraid that was a new Vietnam, and if you didn't live those years, you can't understand the surprise but also the relief when USA army was kicking-ass Iraki forces. You can watch a movie in the cinemas and you know the nazis were defeated, but you can't imagine the distress suffered by that generation, soldiers or civilians, who didn't know when the nightmare was going to end.
The outcome that happened was probably the one that should have, I could be wrong though

Remove ads

Remove ads