Dragonlance Takhisis Revealed In New Dragonlance Preview Art

WotC has shared some new art of Takhisis, Dragonlance’s 5-headed dragon queen.

WotC has shared some new art of Takhisis, Dragonlance’s 5-headed dragon queen.

0CACA73A-7284-4949-A8BB-D2DF28CC734C.jpeg

F3DB060F-C73C-4644-95C5-376C2375CBA8.jpeg

Stormonu

Legend
There's that old gag about the golden age of science fiction being thirteen. It may also be true for dragon illustrations. (I'm fond of the earlier edition images myself, but I have to admit there's greater technical accomplishment in the later ones, if only because a color Monster Manual would have broken the bank in 1st edition.)
Heresy! Didn't you color in your B&W D&D books back then??? (I did mine with colored pencils...)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I'm not fond of either image, actually. The armor looks horrible. Just what we want, more curves and prongs and useless crap...

The dragon heads don't look very good, either, especially the blue head... And the heads look oddly positioned.

darjr

I crit!
Not that I know of, but since the whole adventure path was supposed to revolve around getting more use out of dragons, pulling in the existing dragon gods and making it a war between the two seems logical (this was before Io, btw).

It would be interesting if the re-evisioned had pulled in Io and the neutral/gemstone dragons.
Then why make them "not" those dragons?

Stormonu

Legend
Then why make them "not" those dragons?
I believe the names of the DL deities came from one of the TSR designers existing campaigns (Jeff Grubb? - can't find the source), they probably took the two high gods and assigned them to Tiamat for the evil one and Bahumat for the good one. Besides, you can't copywrite Tiamat and Big B., but you can Takhisis & Palandine.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
(Sorry, tangent) I must confess that I find the classic color-coded feline-reptilian dragons a little bland. I think creatures such as Behir, Coaltl, Wyvern, Lung, Jormugandr, Sky Whales, Hydras etc could make more interesting and distinct dragons. I feel the difference between a blue dragon and a green dragon should be more than a color and breath type (and a different horn shape).

1668041604756.png
1668041634263.png

1668041760251.png
1668041958570.png

(Sorry, tangent) I must confess that I find the classic color-coded feline-reptilian dragons a little bland. I think creatures such as Behir, Coaltl, Wyvern, Lung, Jormugandr, Sky Whales, Hydras etc could make more interesting and distinct dragons. I feel the difference between a blue dragon and a green dragon should be more than a color and breath type (and a different horn shape).

View attachment 266376View attachment 266377
View attachment 266378View attachment 266379
Some of those are dragons in 5e (as in the dragon type), just not “true” dragons. I think there is room for all of them.

I wonder why they picked a Tiamat and Bahamut clone for their opposing dragon gods. Have they ever said?
They picked their primary gods before the Chromatic and Platinum Dragon where even named. Back when started the original campaign the Monster Manual for AD&D had not released. They based the two primary gods on the Dragon King the Platinum Dragon and Dragon Queen the Chromatic Dragon who did not have names in their original appearance, so Paladine and Takhisis were made up for them. When the Monster Manual came out, the creators did not fell like changing their original names for the two.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads