• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Taking a Break

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Overall I've enjoyed this community. It's full of insightful gamers and a lot of free, original content. It's been a nice place to come and talk about and help improve my hobby.

But the focus seems to have shifted in the past 9-12 months. The attitude seems to have shifted away from the (generally) positive and much closer to the (generally) negative. People are more interested in talking about what they don't like instead of what they do. This is a real shame, because I considered ENWorld one of the few havens where the mods and community worked together to create a pleasant environment of discourse. I'm not saying people should not discuss their negative opinions. But lately it seems these discussion degenerate into roundabout arguments and childish namecalling. It's gotten to the point where I feel that I cannot discuss what I like, because it seems likely that, like a pack of roving wolves, detractors will descend upon my thoughts and rip them to shreds.

It's gotten to the point where I look at my games of preference and ask "Am I doing something wrong? Is my game of choice really that bad?" I've considered taking a long break from the hobby, maybe even leaving it entirely. Of course I eventually realize that this is ludicrous, and that I am allowed to like whichever games I please. But it's like getting kicked in the shin every day; there's no real damage at, but it still stings, is demoralizing as hell, and can eventually, can cause some real problems.

So I've come to the conclusion that the best thing for me to do is simply to back off, and maybe bow out entirely. Which is a shame, because I was looking forward to taking advantage of the new blog feature, posting some new content I've been working on, and even become a supporter. But I can't do any of these things if I always come away from this place feeling down and questioning all of my game-related decisions.

I'm not a founding member. I don't have an absurdly high post count. I often don't get to threads until they're well under way. I don't have an awesome story hour. I don't grace anyone's signature. I'm not gaming with any of the mods. In short, I'm a pretty average member, and generally go unnoticed around here. I'm sure the snarky "who cares, thanks for sharing" reply is inevitable. But I think it's important that I voice my opinion, because maybe someone who can take action will notice. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I'm sure I'll still poke around here from to time, probably keep an eye on this thread in particular. There are still Story Hours and other things I enjoy. But I have to avoid most of this place to stay positive about my hobby, and that's what really disappoints me. So, I'll see ya when I see ya!

shilsen

Adventurer
Rule 12 for retaining sanity on the internet:

Thou shalt not care what a random stranger on the internet says or does.

Seriously, if I didn't hold firmly to the above dictum, I'd sometimes have a hard time on ENWorld too. But I do hold to it, so I just take the good when I find (and there's a LOT of good on ENWorld) it, ignore most of the bad, and am just incredibly amused by the bad that I don't ignore. Don't let the negative nellies get you down, GoodKingJayIII.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Rule 12 for retaining sanity on the internet:

Thou shalt not care what a random stranger on the internet says or does.

Seriously, if I didn't hold firmly to the above dictum, I'd sometimes have a hard time on ENWorld too. But I do hold to it, so I just take the good when I find (and there's a LOT of good on ENWorld) it, ignore most of the bad, and am just incredibly amused by the bad that I don't ignore. Don't let the negative nellies get you down, GoodKingJayIII.
What he said.

For what it's worth, the name GoodKingJayIII rings a bell for me. I remember reading some of your posts. :)

I understand your feelings, too. Sometimes it's just not as enjoyable as it could be or has been.

And also, I think the "negativity" seems to ebb down a little bit - maybe it's a temporary thing or I am just better at avoiding the spiral-of-death threads, but I feel like I have read more reasonable discussions these days then in the previous weeks. Maybe things are really calming down...

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Overall I've enjoyed this community. It's full of insightful gamers and a lot of free, original content. It's been a nice place to come and talk about and help improve my hobby.

<snipped for space reasons>

I totally know where you are coming from. I left ENWORLD about 9 months ago and considered the possibility that it might be permanent. Only about a month ago did I feel "up" to coming back. And now when I do come back - I've learned to take the advice Shilsen gave seriously and only go into threads where I know I won't get iritated. For me, that means occasionally this forum, ocassionally meta, and 3.x forums. That's all I go into anymore.

But the focus seems to have shifted in the past 9-12 months. The attitude seems to have shifted away from the (generally) positive and much closer to the (generally) negative. I'm not a founding member. I don't have an absurdly high post count. I often don't get to threads until they're well under way. I don't have an awesome story hour. I don't grace anyone's signature. I'm not gaming with any of the mods. In short, I'm a pretty average member, and generally go unnoticed around here. I'm sure the snarky "who cares, thanks for sharing" reply is inevitable. But I think it's important that I voice my opinion, because maybe someone who can take action will notice. We'll see.

Ditto for most of us. Take some time off and come back when you're ready. I'm sure ENWorld will be here when you are ready for it again.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
And also, I think the "negativity" seems to ebb down a little bit - maybe it's a temporary thing or I am just better at avoiding the spiral-of-death threads, but I feel like I have read more reasonable discussions these days then in the previous weeks. Maybe things are really calming down...
Most of the worst offenders have been given involuntary vacation time by the mods, so they're either absent or reformed at this point.

If you feel that you are getting kicked in the shin from a messageboard post then either you are being attacked personally (which shouldn't be happening here thanks to great mods) or its possible that you are very sensitive about criticism of game that you enjoy.

Shilsen is very wise. ;)

If you are happy with whatever game you are playing then the opinions of others can only have so much impact. I happen to like GURPS a lot but I don't expect a lot of others here to share thier love for it.

Also keep in mind that opinions of game products (both positive and negative) are valuable to game designers. If everyone says they love everything a particular company makes (and it isn't true) then nothing ever happens to improve the quality of those products.

DeusExMachina

First Post
I actually started feeling worse and worse about my games when I wa sreading the rules dicussion forums alot. So I stopped reading those and it helped, I must say...

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
I've got to agree with the OP on this one. Sadly I don't think there is much that can be done about it.

The largest problem seems to be the great divide in the 3.x and 4E fanbase. Very few posters seem to be able to take a post at face value without construing an attack on their preferred system. It seems that every thread (particularly "first impression after playing threads") devolves into snide comments about the poster, usually to the effect that they are trying to start an edition war. Frankly, both the 3E and 4E fans are far too proactive in promoting their system of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads