D&D General Taking the "Dungeons" out of D&D

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I keep thinking some mutated version of D&D combat could be used to emulate social stuff, and exploration, too. Give social encounters something like initiative, actions, bonus actions, reactions, movement, AoO, to-hit rolls, damage rolls, HP, NPC features, legendary actions - the works.

I know, I know - that sounds crazy/stupid/ridiculous. Basically, I just don't want new systems for those things, and it just makes sense to use a structure - if not the exact same details - that people are already familiar with.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think skill challenges were a good component of 4e that should have been developed more and introduced to 5e, and adding skill challenges to 5e would not make it less "D&D" in feel. And I think skill challenges, while still helpful in a dungeon setting, can be even more helpful outside of a dungeon setting to achieve some of the goals the OP is looking for.

Another aspect I think needs work, and which would not harm the "feel" of D&D, is more developed overland travel rules.

Some simple but interesting mass combat rules would be helpful, and not detract from the "feel" of D&D.

Finally, I think some additional feats and subclasses tailored towards the social tier of D&D would be helpful for those goals, again without detracting from the "feel" of it being D&D.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Nothing wrong with it, just, you know, know what you’re setting yourself up for. I very often see DMs disregard the guidelines in the rulebook and then express frustration with problems that occur as a result of ignoring those guidelines. Having fewer than the recommended encounters per day and then complaining the game is too easy is just one example, but a fairly common one in my experience.
The difference between, say, adding criticals to ability checks and running a certain amount of encounters a day is that the rules tell you how to play with ability checks, and recommends you to stay within the rules.

There is no such recommendation in any of the books that balance hinges on 6-8 encounters a day, nor has any designer made such claims.

The very thought of a "recommended adventuring day" is a misconception. Another one is 2 short rest. If anyone can provide an official passage that says that a DM is recommended to run a 6-8, 2SR encounter day for balance, anyone in this thread can quote it or link it here. Otherwise, I claim that balance is found in all encounter numbers regardless of short rests and I'll provide my reasonings. Most likely in another thread since I don't want to derail this one any farther.

But first, I want to see if anyone has found such a quote or passage.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The difference between, say, adding criticals to ability checks and running a certain amount of encounters a day is that the rules tell you how to play with ability checks, and recommends you to stay within the rules.

There is no such recommendation in any of the books that balance hinges on 6-8 encounters a day, nor has any designer made such claims.

The very thought of a "recommended adventuring day" is a misconception. Another one is 2 short rest. If anyone can provide an official passage that says that a DM is recommended to run a 6-8, 2SR encounter day for balance, anyone in this thread can quote it or link it here. Otherwise, I claim that balance is found in all encounter numbers regardless of short rests and I'll provide my reasonings.

But first, I want to see if anyone has found such a quote or passage.
Basic rules, chapter 13.

The Adventuring Day
Assuming typical adventuring conditions and average luck, most adventuring parties can handle about six to eight medium or hard encounters in a day. If the adventure has more easy encounters, the adventurers can get through more. If it has more deadly encounters, they can handle fewer.

In the same way you figure out the difficulty of an encounter, you can use the XP values of monsters and other opponents in an adventure as a guideline for how far the party is likely to progress.

For each character in the party, use the Adventuring Day XP table to estimate how much XP that character is expected to earn in a day. Add together the values of all party members to get a total for the party’s adventuring day. This provides a rough estimate of the adjusted XP value for encounters the party can handle before the characters will need to take a long rest.

Adventuring Day XP
LevelAdjusted XP per Day per Character
1st300
2nd600
3rd1,200
4th1,700
5th3,500
6th4,000
7th5,000
8th6,000
9th7,500
10th9,000
11th10,500
12th11,500
13th13,500
14th15,000
15th18,000
16th20,000
17th25,000
18th27,000
19th30,000
20th40,000

Short Rests
In general, over the course of a full adventuring day, the party will likely need to take two short rests, about one-third and two-thirds of the way through the day.

Reynard

Legend
I am leaning more and more toward milestone based rests. "You can rest once you reach Safeville. To get there you can take the long way around the Felfends, or drive right through them and hope to avoid the Bog Men."

Charlaquin

I am leaning more and more toward milestone based rests. "You can rest once you reach Safeville. To get there you can take the long way around the Felfends, or drive right through them and hope to avoid the Bog Men."
Simply ruling that you must be in a safe location to gain the benefits of a long rest accomplishes this goal without having to make rests a meta-game resource.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Basic rules, chapter 13.

The Adventuring Day
Assuming typical adventuring conditions and average luck, most adventuring parties can handle about six to eight medium or hard encounters in a day. If the adventure has more easy encounters, the adventurers can get through more. If it has more deadly encounters, they can handle fewer.

In the same way you figure out the difficulty of an encounter, you can use the XP values of monsters and other opponents in an adventure as a guideline for how far the party is likely to progress.

For each character in the party, use the Adventuring Day XP table to estimate how much XP that character is expected to earn in a day. Add together the values of all party members to get a total for the party’s adventuring day. This provides a rough estimate of the adjusted XP value for encounters the party can handle before the characters will need to take a long rest.

Adventuring Day XP
LevelAdjusted XP per Day per Character
1st300
2nd600
3rd1,200
4th1,700
5th3,500
6th4,000
7th5,000
8th6,000
9th7,500
10th9,000
11th10,500
12th11,500
13th13,500
14th15,000
15th18,000
16th20,000
17th25,000
18th27,000
19th30,000
20th40,000

Short Rests
In general, over the course of a full adventuring day, the party will likely need to take two short rests, about one-third and two-thirds of the way through the day.
Read it again: it does not say "Assuming typical adventuring conditions and average luck, the adventuring day is balanced around about six to eight medium or hard encounters in a day."

Nor does it say "Over the course of a full adventuring day, the adventuring day is balanced around two short rests, about one-third and two-thirds of the way through the day."

What it tells you is with a typical adventure (probably a dungeon-crawl based on what a typical D&D game was before 5e, no feats and no multiclassing) and with average luck (no nat20's and average damage), the party will probably not TPK before 6-8 encounters. It also says that the party will need 2 short rests at certain intervals, not that the game assumes they will take it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Read it again: it does not say "Assuming typical adventuring conditions and average luck, the adventuring day is balanced around about six to eight medium or hard encounters in a day."

Nor does it say "Over the course of a full adventuring day, the adventuring day is balanced around two short rests, about one-third and two-thirds of the way through the day."

What it tells you is with a typical adventure (probably a dungeon-crawl based on what a typical D&D game was before 5e, no feats and no multiclassing) and with average luck (no nat20's and average damage), the party will probably not TPK before 6-8 encounters. It also says that the party will need 2 short rests at certain intervals, not that the game assumes they will take it.
The very fact they put that piece in there at all is a clobber-upside-the-head hint saying 'these are the assumptions the game's been designed around'.

Charlaquin

And you think they didn’t design the classes to perform with relative parity around these assumptions?

Remove ads