D&D 4E Talents and Talent trees in 4E?

Walking Dad

First Post
ZombieRoboNinja said:
I got the impression that there were three different categories:

1. 4e FEATS are non-class specific and almost entirely untiered - that is, there are very few (or no) feats that list OTHER feats as prerequisites. They're relatively minor, situational benefits.

2. 4e TALENTS are class-specific and highly tiered - that is, they're structured more like "trees" from WoW, with lots of talents that list other talents as prerequisites. Most (or all) "class special abilities" from 3e would be talents in 4e, allowing for more flexible classes.

3. 4e POWERS are actions that can be at-will, per-encounter, or per-day. Many of them are class specific (like wizard spells or fighter "stunts"), but others are race specific (like that elven reroll power). Others might well be tied to paragon paths or epic destinies.

Do we really need 3 categories? Why a difference between FEAT and TALENT?
They already said, that "trapfindig" became a feat.
There seems to be no need for a new category including "class special abilities from 3e".

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Walking Dad said:
Do we really need 3 categories? Why a difference between FEAT and TALENT?
They already said, that "trapfindig" became a feat.
There seems to be no need for a new category including "class special abilities from 3e".

I'm going by the recent podcast where they said talent trees from SWSE are part of 4e.

Anyway, the difference between "feat" and "talent" is that a feat is non-class-specific with no feat prerequisites, whereas a talent is class-specific and often with talent prerequisites. It's a way to preserve the differences between classes (which wouldn't be possible if everything was a non-class-specific feat) while still allowing for lots of variability within each class (which wouldn't be possible with 3e-style static class abilities).

Walking Dad

First Post
ZombieRoboNinja said:
I'm going by the recent podcast where they said talent trees from SWSE are part of 4e.

Anyway, the difference between "feat" and "talent" is that a feat is non-class-specific with no feat prerequisites, whereas a talent is class-specific and often with talent prerequisites. It's a way to preserve the differences between classes (which wouldn't be possible if everything was a non-class-specific feat) while still allowing for lots of variability within each class (which wouldn't be possible with 3e-style static class abilities).

Thanks for the info. I didn't heard the podcast. My bad. :eek:

Walking Dad

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:

could we be seeing a Power, feat, Talent cycle in terms of character benefits? There are 30 levels after all.

Man, I wish they would give us a class write up to match the race write up we got for Christmas.

Maybe for MLK day?

I think it will be a Talent / Feat cycle and an extra Powers Table (like spells per day / known in 3e).

Sitara

Explorer
Walking Dad, thank you for clearing that up.

So as I guessed Talent Trees will be in, but IMO I think they will be renamed into Power Tree's or something, since we have not heard anyone meniton talents, not even in RnC and/or WnM.

Still cool stuff. Now, who thinks there will be an 'exploding corpse' power/necromantic spell/ritual in the game? :D :D :D

Walking Dad

First Post
Sitara said:
Walking Dad, thank you for clearing that up.

So as I guessed Talent Trees will be in, but IMO I think they will be renamed into Power Tree's or something, since we have not heard anyone meniton talents, not even in RnC and/or WnM.

Still cool stuff. Now, who thinks there will be an 'exploding corpse' power/necromantic spell/ritual in the game? :D :D :D

ZombieRoboNinja said:

Their seem to be new informations...

Walking Dad

First Post
ZombieRoboNinja said:

Hey, ZRN, did they say "something like talent trees" or "we use talent trees"? My pc will not play the podcast :(

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Walking Dad said:
Hey, ZRN, did they say "something like talent trees" or "we use talent trees"? My pc will not play the podcast :(
I couldn't hear the words "talent" or "talent tree" at all while they where discussing Star Wars Saga Edition. They said condensed skills, action types and defences are all similar to 4e and hit points to some degree (but more "evolved" in 4e), but nothing I could hear about talents.

Walking Dad

First Post
Oldtimer said:
I couldn't hear the words "talent" or "talent tree" at all while they where discussing Star Wars Saga Edition. They said condensed skills, action types and defences are all similar to 4e and hit points to some degree (but more "evolved" in 4e), but nothing I could hear about talents.

??? :confused:

Thank you Oldtimer!

Remove ads