D&D 5E Tales From the Yawning Portal Needs a Sequel

The questionable writing and design of most of those adventures is why I specified previously that I would want the scenarios revised in a manner that goes well beyond updating stat blocks
I think the writing of those original adventures is the most interesting thing. Updated, they are just not very good adventures. In the end I wrote an adventure that riffs on WG4, but didn't find anything worth preserving apart from the statue descriptions.

Not that I am aware of. Just authors saying "Woof...yeah."
I view that as the author's issue. They had a word count target and failed to deliver a cohesive product in that wordcount. Since we do not have the actual submisison, all we have is a complant that it was much better than what appeared. I doubt it.

I increasingly feel that WoTC books are out of control with the size of their writing crews. For anthology style books it just means they are very unven. For larger adventures, it seems to mean story points appear and disappear depending on what chapter and writer(s) was working on it.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I do think at least some of these have a rose-tinted nostalgia goggles effect going on. I reread this one a couple of weeks ago, and it's really pretty bad. Just a fairly random collection of rooms stocked with a fairly random assortment of dull monsters. The most interesting thing about it is the quirky (by modern standards) writing style, which reveals more about the author's intent than you see these days, making the "killer DM" playstyle apparent.
Yeah, I've got a plan to run one of my groups via 5e through this. I think I need to re-read and do some editing...

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Why would it need to be rewritten for Faerun? Ghosts of Saltmarsh wasn't. Nothing wrong with giving us another prior campaign world with Nentir Vale.
Yes! Good point. So one more impediment to re-doing Scales of War removed :)

Scales of War was a bit uneven, and needs some connective tissue re-worked, since it was written by multiple authors with short deadlines and no doubt harried editors who were working on other projects also due for a given issue of Dungeon Magazine. But all solvable problems...

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I would love another run through of Keep on the Shadowfell. It was fun at the time, my group just couldn't get into 4e. I have the follow up to that adventure we ended up abandoning the game before I had a chance to run it. It's still in the shrink wrap.
We did Shadowfell, and then a pretty heavily modified Thunderspire. And finally, our GM gave us the option of going through the Pyramid - but with the caveat that he thought it was broken and he wasn't going to fix it... Or we could go south to the city of Westcrown in the country of Cheliax thereby completely taking us out of the canon Nentir Vale. We of course decided to head south, and finished off completing the Council of Thieves pathfinder adventure path (I think from book 3 onward)

Remove ads