Tales of the Legacy - Concluded

Delemental

First Post
Skyduke said:
Hi! I just recently started reading story hours, and I must say that yours is very entertaining, and fun to read. I like the way all the characters evolved in meaningful ways, although I heartily lament Kyle's "loss of innocence". It was bound to happen, but the bumbling Kyle of their beginnings at the tower was much more endearing that the cynical arch-mage he has turned into. I hope when all this is over, he might reconsider his view of the world.

On an another note, the last few updates really have not given them much room to breathe, or even replenish their spells. It looks like they can't get a break, no matter how hard they try. The campaign must be very challenging!

Oh, by the way. I am just curious about Osborn - how does he manage to throw dozens of dagger in one round?

Thanks a lot, and keep up the good worl.

Kyle has definitely become more world-weary as time has gone on, though really I think we all have. It's not an easy thing facing the potential destruction of your world. Whether or not Kyle manages to mellow out when all is said and done remains to be seen - even when the threat of Silko and Kristyan is over, there's still things that need fixing. For Kyle, it's a sort of "with great power comes great responsibility" thing... without the Spandex.

As for Osborn... well, it's partially creative license on my part. The mechanics of it rely on the fact that he's got several levels of fighter, plus the Master Thrower prestige class (Complete Warrior, I think? IIRC, he's currently a fighter 5/rogue 7/master thrower 5/cleric 2). I couldn't quote the exact mechanics to you, but essentially he gets to throw two daggers with each attack roll, and of course has multiple attacks when doing a full attack (plus Rapid Shot, of course). It's not something he can pull off every round, but it's devastating when he can - especially when he can get sneak attack in there, too. But his effectiveness is severely curtailed against any sort of DR, since he has to deduct it from each dagger that hits. He also has to be close (within 30') so he's vulnerable to counterattack.

Delemental

First Post
A short but sweet update this time...

------------------------------

They had arrived somewhere in the midst of a large, bowl-shaped depression, with a slope so gradual that it was difficult to make out the far edges. The air was still, and a bright yellow disk burned directly overhead in an approximation of the sun, so no shadows were cast. Light from the orb would occasionally refract through one of the crystal trees, creating a bright spot or flash in the air. The ground below them was hard, and felt like some sort of smooth coral.

“So,” Arrie said to Tolly, “care to get us closer to where we’re going?”

“And soon,” Osborn said warily. Off in the distance, he could hear faint scrabbling sounds, reminiscent of multiple boots or clawed feet on the hard coral ground.

Turning slowly, Tolly began to focus his will on finding a path out of the forest and toward the Citadel. The rest of the party focused on this task as well, except Osborn, who kept a wary ear open as they began to move through the forest behind Tolly. Autumn shot the hin an inquisitive look.

“They’re keeping pace,” he answered, gesturing off to their right, “but not coming closer.” A few minutes later, however, the scrabbling noises suddenly stopped in mid-stride.

Gradually, the slope increased as they walked, as though they were getting closer to the edge of the depression they’d arrived in. But after nearly half an hour, everyone stopped.

“What?” Arrie asked.

“We should have come out of the dell by now,” Tolly said. “And I know we’re not going in circles.”

“You know,” Kyle said, “if there is an intelligent being in control around here, it’s probably far more adept at manipulating Dream than we are. It could be manipulating the landscape to keep us trapped here.”

“You mean, screwing with us?” Arrie said.

“As always, straight to the point, Arrie,” Tolly said.

Osborn looked up, and his eyes widened in shock. “Look out!” he cried, suddenly vanishing from sight. At that moment, Nidru, Yuri, and Arrie were all struck in the back by greatswords that were swung at them from above their heads. Autumn narrowly avoided a fourth blade.

Four figures swooped down out of the sky, expertly dodging the crystal trees. Each was centaur-like in appearance, but with thicker, more muscular bodies. Long, serpentine tails flowed behind their draconic lower bodies, their scales shimmering iridescent in the light overhead. None of them had wings or any obviously method of flight, and tiny horns protruded from their brutish skulls. The four creatures glared at the party as they came around for another pass. Two dove in from behind, their blades whirling in a frenzy and leaving deep wounds in several members of the Legacy, with one sword stroke even finding Osborn’s dog Rupert. But the party’s counterattack was equally devastating, leaving one of the dragon-like creatures gravely wounded, and another dead, with several of Osborn’s daggers piercing its flesh.

Kyle flickered, and suddenly they were all surrounded by a cloud of caustic vapors, which seemed to be harmless to the Legacy but which burned the flesh of their enemies. In addition, each of Kyle’s allies was surrounded in a personal aura of flames, and Kyle’s hand was surrounded in a nimbus of black energy.

Hissing from the pain caused by the acid, one of the creatures came in low and emitted a piercing scream, blasting the entire group with a wave of sonic energy. Another charge Tolly and drew blood, but came within range of the spell the Ardaran had readied, and a moment later his assailant was simply gone. Nidru called upon her power to heal everyone in the party, closing up the deep wounds the creatures had inflicted.

A joint attack from the three women warriors felled one of the centauric beasts, and a vampiric touch from Kyle convinced the last remaining foe to seek the safety of the sky. It rose into the air, trying to put distance between itself and the Legacy.

On the ground below, Yuri jumped. The draconic being never saw her coming until her greatspear slammed into the middle of his back, driving him back to the ground, where he was finally slain in a barrage of sorcery and steel.

The Legacy stripped the creatures of armor and weapons and then threw the bodies into Kyle’s acid cloud, preventing them from healing their wounds. They located a nest not far from the site of the battle, high up in one of the crystal trees. There they found a variety of valuables, including a fist-sized lump of uncut emerald, and an ancient but well-preserved tapestry depicting Emperor Tlaxan I.

As they collected the valuables and packed them away, Osborn heard a low, quiet chuckle, which seemed to came from both everywhere and nowhere, resonating inside his head. He motioned for the others to be quiet, but no one else heard the laugh at first.

Suddenly, the laugh came again, now audible to everyone. It seemed to resonate from the crystals themselves.

“Tolly,” Arrie said, “Leave. Now.”

“You don’t think I’d let you leave that easily?” a voice surrounded them, deep and menacing. “You’ve bested my experiments – obviously that means you will be my next subjects. They clearly weren’t strong enough.”

Something a short distance away caught Osborn’s attention; a pile of bloody flesh, peeled away in strips from some large creature. Walking over, he flipped the edge of one strip over with his boot, and saw that it was covered with glimmering silver scales. At the same time, Yuri spotted what looked like the remnants of an eggshell laying on the ground just a few yards away, but judging by the curvature of the shell, it would have been an egg the size of a house.

“If whatever came out of that shell is around here,” she said, “we’d best not be.”

“You know, this is stupid,” Arrie shouted to the air. “We’re racing to stop a being who wants to destroy pretty much everything, and you’re hanging us up.”

The mocking laugh vibrated the crystals around them. “And who do you think created me? It’s not all going to end, child – it’s all going to come here.”

The ground a few feet away exploded upward, disgorging an enormous winged creature that at first looked like a blue dragon, which at first filled Tolly’s heart with joy, for blue dragons are the servants of Ardara. But as the dragon advanced, his heart sank, for he realized that the scales were not blue, but a glittering, translucent sapphire.

Delemental

First Post
Both sides moved rapidly toward each other. The dragon snatched a thick crystal branch off a nearby tree as in ran forward, and flung it at Yuri, who was leading the charge. The branch caught her mid-leap and sent her crashing to the ground. While she was still reeling, the dragon focused his power on her, but she just managed to free herself from its psionic power as she felt the flesh on her body begin to pull and tear.

The wyrm launched itself into the air as the others drew closer, circling wide over the tops of the trees. Those who were able followed it into the sky, Autumn leading the way as Kyle sprouted metallic wings and Arrie focused the power of her psicrown into flight. Kyle summoned a blade of force which began chasing the dragon through the air, while Arrie and Autumn tried to maneuver to cut off its flight path and the others waited for an opportunity to strike. Yuri leapt into the air as the dragon passed overhead, but her leap was short by mere inches. The dragon’s tail whipped out and sent shards of crystal flying toward Lajila and Nidru, who dove to take cover.

Wheeling around, the dragon suddenly twisted in midair and grabbed onto Kyle, squeezing him in a massive claw. But a second later it was a psionically-enhanced Arrie who was in the dragon’s grip, and she proceeded to slip out of its claws and land a solid blow with Anyweapon. Unperturbed, the beast flew on, quickly outpacing Arrie, and with a casual flick of a foreclaw send a telekinetic pulse toward Tolly, knocking his soulsteel weapon out of his hand. It then batted Autumn out of the way as she charged in, and on its next pass around tore into Arrie with teeth and claws.

The Legacy positioned themselves for another pass as the sapphire dragon banked. Autumn summoned divine power as energy lanced from her eyes, but it reflected off the gem-like scales harmlessly. A prismatic spray by Kyle was similarly refracted away. Scowling, Kyle closed his eyes briefly, focusing his mind on recalling the pattern of a spell in his grimoire and forcing it to take shape. A beam of blue-white energy shot out of the crystal sphere atop his staff, striking the dragon in the head with an ear-splitting crack. The dragon’s eyes glazed, and it was unable to focus on keeping itself in the air. The wyrm crashed into the forest, sending shards of crystal flying. As it crashed, Lajila and Nidru focused their combined wills on summoning a wall of blades in its path, though the dragon managed to avoid the worst of the barrier.

It was the opening they’d waited for, and the Legacy took advantage. Autumn dove onto the dragon’s back, her falchion digging deep into its scaly hide and sending blood spraying into the air. Yuri rammed her greatspear into its neck, feeling the satisfying jolt as the end of her spear hit bone. And Osborn, who had lurked invisibly amidst the trees waiting to get into range, ran forward and placed several daggers in the dragon’s more vulnerable spots.

Roaring with rage, the dragon focused its will, and sent a pulse of psychic power out all around him. Suddenly everyone in the Legacy felt the agony of the wounds they had just inflicted, while a wave of relief passed over the dragon’s face. It then vanished, reappearing inside the circle created by the blade barrier, using it as a defense. Autumn and Kyle flew over the spinning blades, while Arrie moved to pick up Osborn and carry him into battle. Kyle shot another beam of energy at the dragon, but this one was black as pitch and drew the dragon’s life force away. Yuri, screaming a battle cry, leapt over the blades, and charged at the dragon. But its massive claws caught her first, ripping and tearing at the Sargian dragoon. Knocking her back almost to the blade barrier, the dragon opened its mouth and emitted a blast of deafening sound which enveloped both Yuri and Kyle. The energy of the dragon’s breath would have torn Yuri apart, if not for a protective spell placed on her earlier, but for the first time the Sargian’s mind came to grips just how terrifying this beast was. Dropping her spear, she vaulted back over the blades and began to run.

“Damn,” Kyle said, falling back as he saw Yuri run. With her speed, she could easily get lost in the endless crystal forest, and finding her would be impossible. He cast a rope trick spell into a clearing just ahead of Yuri, hoping she would seek its shelter. At the same time, Lajila cast a spell in the same clearing that would ease Yuri’s terror once she reached it, and Nidru brought down the blades separating the Legacy from the dragon.

Snarling, the dragon once again took flight, but this time it did not bank to return to battle, but continued flying straight, away from the battle. Within moments, its silhouette was no bigger than a sparrow.

“Tell Kristyan we’re coming for him next!” Yuri yelled at the vanishing wyrm.

Everyone gathered at the clearing where Yuri had come to a halt. “Thanks,” she said to Kyle and Lajila.

The party made use of the rope trick, climbing inside to tend to their wounds in case the dragon returned or any other enemies came by. Then they backtracked to where the sapphire dragon had emerged from the ground, and found a rough tunnel that led to an underground chamber. There they discovered a cache of valuables, including a sword and a crystalline structure that Kyle confirmed were charged with psionic power. There were also several of the large strips of silver dragon flesh in the chamber, heaped in a pile.

“What do you make of this?” Osborn asked. “Silver dragons serve Feesha.”

“Perhaps they had to kill an existing dragon to create that sapphire beast,” Kyle mused, “or a silver was transformed, and this is the result of a very rapid molting.”

Claiming their reward, the Legacy returned to the surface and began to navigate through the dreamscape again, led by Tolly’s will. The incline of the land grew gradually steeper, with no apparent peak in sight. After an hour’s walk, Kyle stopped, and looked around.

“We’re inside a giant egg,” he announced.

This fact soon became apparent to everyone. The area of Dream they were in had been shaped like a huge egg, with the crystal forest covering the inside of the ‘shell’. Had they been forced to traverse it as they would land in the real world, it might take them months to circle around to where they had started.

With little choice but to keep going, the Legacy pressed on. They knew that within the bizarre architecture of the Dream Realm, their journey would lead to a destination, even if none was apparent. Sure enough, after another hour they began to notice cracks in the shell-like ground under their feet, and a short time later they could actually see a point where the trees ended.

They came to the top of an abrupt cliff face, with the edge dropping down into nothingness. Hovering in the air all around them, they saw enormous, jagged shards of shell, as though a hole had been broken in the egg… or something had hatched.

“Where now?” Autumn asked.

Tolly scratched at his beard. “Well, it is a dream, so…” He walked forward and stepped off the edge of the cliff.

Everyone rushed forward to see Tolly standing there, protruding horizontally from the cliff. Soon everyone had made the transition, and they were traversing the edge of the eggshell, which was roughly a mile thick.

They came out on an open plain. The ground appeared soft and cloud-like, though it felt solid. Rising up out of the clouds in the distance was a palatial structure made entirely of crystal, which flashed and sparkled despite the apparent lack of a light source. Much closer to the party, a round, table-shaped stone jutted out of the mist. There were unfamiliar markings on the stone.

As everyone moved toward the stone, Arrie blinked and shook her head.

“What’s wrong?” Autumn asked.

“Nothing. The glyphs on the stone… they kind of translated themselves in my mind.” She turned to her friends. “It’s from Aran.”

They gathered close as Arrie read the message. “To the Legacy – I’m not in a position where I can offer much help. However, I can give you a safe place to rest. Place those items of power that represent you best upon the stone.”

“But do we even have time to rest?” Tolly asked as Arrie finished the translation.

“I doubt that Aran would have offered it otherwise,” Arrie said. She drew forth Anyweapon, shaping it into a simple longsword, and placed it atop the stone table. It immediately rose into the air, hovering over the table with the blade pointing down, and the air around them began to shimmer slightly. Kyle was next, placing his staff on the table. The staff seemed to shiver slightly at first, reacting to the presence of a psionic item, but soon it rose into the air next to Arrie’s blade.

Autumn drew her falchion Faithful Avenger even as Tolly shaped his soulsteel into a maul and placed it on the stone, followed by Yuri’s greatspear and the Ladtan relic-coin that Osborn carried. The shimmering in the air intensified as each item was laid down, and as they rose and began to slowly orbit each other, they could see that the world beyond that shimmering was slowing down, until it seemed almost frozen in time.

Arrie reached out and touched the cool surface of the stone. “I don’t know if you can hear this, Aran,” she said quietly, “but thank you.”

Krafus

First Post
Nice update... I wonder what was the reason for the dragon's retreat? Because it certainly seemed to be winning right up until then. Was it to prevent a TPK?

Oh, and I'm curious - what was the power that the dragon used then:

Roaring with rage, the dragon focused its will, and sent a pulse of psychic power out all around him. Suddenly everyone in the Legacy felt the agony of the wounds they had just inflicted, while a wave of relief passed over the dragon’s face.

Did the dragon pass all the wounds it had taken up until that point back to the people who delivered them, and heal itself at the same time? Because if that's the cause, this power sounds, well, massively overpowered.

Delemental

First Post
Krafus said:
Nice update... I wonder what was the reason for the dragon's retreat? Because it certainly seemed to be winning right up until then. Was it to prevent a TPK?

Oh, and I'm curious - what was the power that the dragon used then:

Did the dragon pass all the wounds it had taken up until that point back to the people who delivered them, and heal itself at the same time? Because if that's the cause, this power sounds, well, massively overpowered.

The dragon had been winning, but we ended up doing some serious damage while it was on the ground. In addition to a lot of plain damage delivered by Arrie and Osborn, it had lost about 6 CON - 4 CON from the poison of the prismatic spray (I know the story makes it sound like it was ineffective, but the spray did affect the dragon), and 2 more from Autumn's Mountain Tombstone Strike (she rolled snake eyes, or it would have been even more). Since it was a 35 HD dragon, losing 6 CON chopped 105 hp right off the top. It was also down 4 levels from Kyle's maximized enervation, which deprived it of its four highest level powers.

In the end, it ran because it was an intelligent creature who didn't particularly want to get killed, and it knew we were heading off to face his boss next.

The power it used was hostile empathic transfer, I believe, which lets you transfer your damage to those around you. I think we all ended up taking something like 45 damage each, so not that bad for what I assume is a 9th level power (its in Complete Psionic, I'm pretty sure).

Krafus

First Post
Delemental said:
The dragon had been winning, but we ended up doing some serious damage while it was on the ground. In addition to a lot of plain damage delivered by Arrie and Osborn, it had lost about 6 CON - 4 CON from the poison of the prismatic spray (I know the story makes it sound like it was ineffective, but the spray did affect the dragon), and 2 more from Autumn's Mountain Tombstone Strike (she rolled snake eyes, or it would have been even more). Since it was a 35 HD dragon, losing 6 CON chopped 105 hp right off the top. It was also down 4 levels from Kyle's maximized enervation, which deprived it of its four highest level powers.

Ah, I see. I had no idea about the CON loss.

In the end, it ran because it was an intelligent creature who didn't particularly want to get killed, and it knew we were heading off to face his boss next.

Which brings up a problem for the PCs: the dragon required the party's full attention, and his master is presumably even more powerful. Two such mighty foes at once, or even one right after the other, would seem to be too way much for them to handle.

The power it used was hostile empathic transfer, I believe, which lets you transfer your damage to those around you. I think we all ended up taking something like 45 damage each, so not that bad for what I assume is a 9th level power (its in Complete Psionic, I'm pretty sure).

Hmm, I'm looking at hostile empathic transfer from the SRD, and it's a 3rd level power that, from what I can tell, can only affect one creature at a time.

Delemental

First Post
Krafus said:
Ah, I see. I had no idea about the CON loss.

Which brings up a problem for the PCs: the dragon required the party's full attention, and his master is presumably even more powerful. Two such mighty foes at once, or even one right after the other, would seem to be too way much for them to handle.

Which is why the respite provided by Aran to replenish spells and heal will be most welcome. We faced the dragon pretty much unbuffed - with any luck that won't be the case when we go after Kristyan. I'm also hoping we get something of a chance to scout out the citadel with divinations, so that we can get to him faster.

Hmm, I'm looking at hostile empathic transfer from the SRD, and it's a 3rd level power that, from what I can tell, can only affect one creature at a time.

I could have the power wrong, or there could be feats or augments being applied that I'm not aware of. It was an epic-level encounter, so the dragon had plenty of options.

Delemental

First Post
Betcha thought this SH was dead, didn't ya?

Okay, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that there will be an update pretty soon, hopefully within the week.

The bad news is that it'll probably be one of the last.

After five years, our group is ready to move on. Away from Aelfenn, away from D&D for a while even. Although the original plan for the campaign had us continuing on into epic levels, we've come to realize that we just don't have the motivation for that, so better to come to a conclusive end now rather than let the game stumble toward a vague, unsatisfying end.

After we finish the current adventure, there will likely be an epilogue of sorts. After that, we're moving on to other games and other systems. I've not yet decided if I will be chronicling those games, but if I do, I'll put a link up to any new stories.

Delemental

First Post
Final Assault

The walls of the timeless demiplane began to dissipate as the Legacy prepared for their approach. As the last spells were cast, the protective bubble vanished, and they found that their position had shifted; they were now only a few yards away from the tower.

The structure itself rose above them, a crystalline mass that seemed to twist around an enormous bluish orb that pulsed and crackled with power. Kyle noticed a second ethereal tower, mirroring the first but inverted, rose invisibly upward from the orb; the effect was almost like two hands cradling a ball. Kyle relayed the description to the others telepathically.

So, the direct approach? Yuri asked.

Not yet, Kyle cautioned. Let’s try something a little different. He cast a spell, and suddenly the Legacy looked like a nondescript band of xeph, accompanied by a lone dromite. Perhaps we try stealth for once.

Indeed, Tolly said, and even if they are aware of us, then perhaps our attempts to be sneaky will amuse Kristyan so much that he’ll be helpless with laughter when we find him.

They approached the tower and soon spotted the only entrance, a thick, narrow door in the base. After Osborn examined it and found nothing unusual, Arrie pushed open the door, then stepped aside to let the others in.

The door opened into a relatively small, crescent-shaped space occupied by a pair of armored half-giants, wielding crystalline glaives. They cast confused looks around as Arrie and the others filed in, but did not react with undue alarm at the appearance of a band of xeph.

“A dream-storm has driven us here,” Arrie mumbled to the half-giants. “We seek shelter.”

“We weren’t aware of any patrols in the area,” one of the half-giants said.

“You weren’t supposed to be,” Arrie replied. “But something out there is disturbed, and we felt it best to withdraw rather than confront it. Especially with everyone on alert already.”

“All right,” the guard sighed. “You can stay here until the storm blows over.”

Autumn piped up. “Is there somewhere we can stay besides the entrance?”

The guard shook his head. “Not without orders from Kristyan. No one’s allowed inside.”

Autumn stepped up and addressed the half-giant. “We’re not asking to be put up in quarters. An out of the way storeroom will do. We have very little psionic power available between the eight of us right now; should there be an attack, we’ll be of little aid to you if we are hanging about in this room. As soon as we’re able to move on, we will.”

The guard scratched at his hair, thinking. “You promise you’ll stay put?”

“Of course,” Arrie said.

The guard turned and opened the door behind him. “There’s an empty room on the fourth floor you can use. Be gone as soon as you can.” He began heading up the stairs, not waiting for the ‘patrol’ to follow.

Wow, Yuri said to Autumn as they ascended, I didn’t know you were such an accomplished liar.

I don’t lie, the sentinel replied. Nothing I said was false.

They were led around on a staircase that spiraled up the outer wall of the tower, Arrie leading the way. The stairs were mostly enclosed, except where they opened onto landings on each level. But as they approached the fourth level, Arrie suddenly began to feel a strange sensation; it was a sense of peace, of rightness. There was a resonance with the psionic core of her mind, a feeling of confidence.

The effect on the others was less tranquil. Each winced as they climbed the stairs and their minds were assaulted with a sound like claws on glass. Blood began trickling out of Yuri’s ears; when the half-giant guard noticed this, Arrie rushed over to her.

“The dream-storm has destabilized you!” she said, forcing panic in her voice. “You need to lie down now!”

Arrie hustled everyone into the room, a small, chamber with no features other than a cluster of crystals in the corner. After a growled warning to stay put, the guard closed the door and marched down the stairs.

Several members of the party were now trickling blood from their ears, eyes, and noses. Let’s find somewhere else to be, Tolly suggested.

Whatever’s causing this, it’s not those crystals, Kyle said. I suspect we’re close to that giant floating orb we saw outside.

There are stairs going up, Arrie said. I suspect that’s where we have to go, but that’ll put us closer to that orb.

We may just have to push through it, Tolly said.

I saw a portal on the second level, Osborn said. To the Ethereal, I think. Maybe we can get around another way.

Let’s try the portal first, then, Arrie said. Worst case, we have to backtrack.

They proceeded down the stairs, almost immediately feeling relief as they dropped out of the orb’s range. Osborn, who moved ahead to scout, came to the second story landing and immediately crouched down, even though he was invisible. With his magical blindfold, he could sense a presence in the far corner, some being that was invisible like himself. The portal he’d seen was near the center of the room. After sending a telepathic warning to the rest of the group, Osborn moved around and took up a position to one side, waiting while the rest of the group got into position.

The ambush took only seconds to execute. A pair of Osborn’s daggers flew out of nowhere and pierced the invisible guardian, who grunted in pain. It cast a spell in response, and a force wall bisected the room, cutting across the stairwell to block off the stairs heading to the main level. Unfortunately for him, it did not cut off the stairway above.

A few seconds later, Yuri was cleaning dark ichor from her greatspear, while Kyle went over the corpse of the medusa sorcerer. The force wall that cut them off from the portal lasted only another minute. Osborn came back to report that the guards downstairs had apparently not heard the battle, thanks to the wall of force. Kyle came up with a ring and a small red crystal. He handed the ring to Autumn, explaining that it would help her see invisible beings, and then offered the crystal to Tolly.
You know I don’t use psionic items, Tolly said.
It’s not psionic, it’s magical. It’s an augment crystal – they’re extremely rare post-Cataclysm. This was attached to the medusa’s bow; I suspect that it provides some sort of fire enhancement to a weapon.

I’ll take it! Osborn said. He picked up the offered crystal and stuck it to the pommel of his short sword.

The party hid the body of the medusa, then proceeded into the portal. They emerged into a tiny room, barely big enough for a person to lie down in. A hole in the ceiling was the only way out. Yuri began to retrieve her rope, but Kyle stopped her.

No gravity on the Ethereal, he explained, as he rose into the air.

The air around them seemed misty, but not damp, and to their surprise they found that the walls were quite solid around them; whoever had built the tower had brought materials through the portal. The hole led upward into a slightly larger room, with no exits, but the wall on the far end was hazy and insubstantial. Osborn carefully poked his head through the wall, and announced the presence of another hole in the ceiling.

As Osborn rose up through the hole, however, he began to get that claws-on-glass sensation in his mind. He drifted down again, cursing.

Let me go first, Arrie suggested. She rose up through the hole and looked around. She was in a long, narrow hallway, that curved slightly. Behind her about fifteen feet, she saw another hole in the ceiling. But up ahead, the walls only rose about halfway up from the floor, and outside to the left she saw a gigantic pulsating orb of energy.

Guys, that orb is right here, she said. I’m going to keep going to see how far you all have to go to get past it.

But as she moved, she caught a flicker of movement near the orb. She approached cautiously, wanting to make sure that they weren’t attacked from behind on the way through. She looked at the orb, and saw a pair of glowing red eyes staring back at her.

Mentally crying out in alarm, she stepped back as an energy form poured out of the orb, and approached her with clear malice. Arrie dropped back down through the hole.

So, we’re cut off, I take it? Tolly asked.

Pretty much, Arrie replied.

Perhaps we should go back to the Dream Realm, the Ardaran suggested.

That may not help. The orb exists in both worlds; most likely we’d end up facing this creature there as well. Arrie looked up through the hole. I have an idea. If we distract it, we can make it to the next hole in the ceiling. I’ll stay back while you all go through; the orb’s power doesn’t harm me, and I’m used to being knocked around.

The creature was waiting for them as they sprang up out of the hole. Osborn and Yuri were the first up, charging in quickly in the hopes of pushing the beast back enough to give the others room to maneuver. The others moved their way up to form a defensive line, and then Arrie moved to the front.

“Will you guys get moving?” she shouted, not bothering with using telepathy, as she maneuvered to intercept the beast’s lashing tendrils. One of the tentacles struck her, and she was struck with psionic feedback that sapped her vitality. Autumn was also struck by a tendril, with similar effects. Seeing the debilitating effects of the attacks, Nidru stepped forward and healed them.

But then the orb pulsed, and tendrils of energy lashed out from its surface, striking everyone in the head and lashing out at their very sense of being. Everyone reeled from the mental shock, except for Autumn, who drew into her deepest convictions to retain her own sense of identity.

“Now!” Arrie shouted through gritted teeth.

Kyle was the first to comply, moving past the melee and shooting up into the next level. He came up in a corridor with a large door on one wall, along with another hole in the ceiling. An arcane glyph was carved into the door, and Kyle studied it for a moment before Yuri and Tolly shot up through the hole, with the others not far behind.

Autumn attacked and the creature dissipated, Yuri said to the wizard, but I think it was starting to reform, or another one was coming out of the orb. Everyone should be on this level soon.

This mark belongs to a elven sorcerer that I thought died decades ago, Kyle commented. His name was Umaerh. He focused a lot on necromantic magics.

He’s not one of Herion’s cousins, is he? Osborn asked as he came up through the hole.

Yuri suddenly clutched at her head and stifled a scream as another energy tendril arced up through the hole and struck her. “I don’t think we’re out of the woods yet,” she grunted, not able to concentrate enough to communicate mentally.

As soon as Arrie appeared in the hole, battering away tendrils with her greatsword, everyone began to move upward, toward a second opening in the ceiling. Yuri was the first one through this time, floating up into another narrow chamber with a door set into the far wall. The wall to her left was hazy and insubstantial. She kept a cautious eye on that wall as the others came up to join her, but was relieved when she realized that the pressure on her psyche from the orb had subsided. Smoke rose from Kyle’s hair as he came up, having been blasted by the orb before departing.

That’s much better, Autumn said, as she noticed the pain in her head easing.

Arrie was the last one up, bruised and battered. That was unpleasant, she said.

I imagine it was, Autumn replied sarcastically.

Delemental

First Post
A quick survey of the room revealed that the door was warded by a pair of glyphs, one set to kill whoever opened it, the other set to affect everyone else in the room. The insubstantial wall opposite it hid a small corner, with another hole leading upward. It took Osborn only a few minutes to counteract the glyphs, and once it was safe to open the door revealed another chamber that was filled with all manner of crystals, books, scrolls, and other psionic implements.

Some sort of lab, Kyle guessed.

Some of the books and scrolls were unloaded into Autumn’s portable hole, and then the party went through the ethereal wall and up to the next room. It led to another small, square chamber, with another hazy wall in front of them and a shimmering portal to their right.

I think this leads back to the material world, Tolly said, examining the portal.

Then should we use it, or continue on? Autumn asked.

Well, let’s at least see what’s on the other side of this wall, Kyle said. He stuck his head through the wall, but moments later he cried out and staggered back, blood streaming from two deep gashes in his head. Yuri reached out with the end of her spear and quickly pushed the wizard back, even as Osborn, Autumn, and Arrie leapt through the wall to confront Kyle’s assailants. They were faced by a pair of half-giants wielding massive glaives. Autumn and Osborn paired up against one, while Arrie attacked the second with her spiked chain, followed closely by Tolly, who had converted his soulsteel into a long spear to compensate for the long reach of the glaives.

Arrie’s chain whipped out and left a long gash on the half-giant’s midsection. Roaring in pair, the guard brought his glaive around in an arc that connected with the whirling weapon, snapping it cleanly in two. The other guard made a similar attempt with Autumn’s falchion, but the sentinel parried the blow, and then with a backhand sweep decapitated the half-giant. The other guard, who was surprised to learn that breaking Arrie’s weapon had done little to deter her attack, swept aside the pair of short chains flailing at him and bolted for a door on the far wall, with the rest of the Legacy in pursuit. Kyle, having been healed by Lajila, stepped through and launched a fireball at the fleeing giant, even as the weapons of the rest of the party landed devastating blows. Only through the use of his own psionic power was the half-giant able to remain on his feet and make it to another door. Just as he pulled the door open, Tolly’s spear struck him in the back, and then a volley of magic missiles from Kyle sent him to his death.

Tolly peered into the chamber beyond where the guard had fallen. In the far corner stood a massive construct made entirely of red crystal, which was beginning to stir. He could see that there was nothing else in the room that would warrant a battle with the construct, so Tolly pulled the door closed, leaving the body of the guard inside with the crystal golem.

You sure that door will hold? Yuri asked after Tolly relayed what he had seen to the others. They could hear the golem pounding against the door behind them.

It doesn’t matter, he replied. The golem is too large to fit through the doorway.

They found another hole in the ceiling in the room where the guards had been stationed, but unlike the others, a strange, greenish glow emanated faintly from above.

I think we should check that out, suggested Arrie.

One by one, they floated up to the next level. Unlike the rest of the tower, the chamber they entered was a huge, roughly triangular chamber with arched ceilings twenty feet high. The room was decorated from floor to ceiling with gilded statues, bas reliefs, and tapestries that looked like they had been looted from every major temple in Aelfenn, but all the décor depicted icons and symbols revering psionics. Stained-glass panels near the ceiling depicted Silko’s rise to power in the pre-Cataclysm days, including the vanquishing of a blank-faced deific figure that could only be the Consort, and another depicting Silko triumphant over the other gods of their world.

At the apex of the chamber, a large crystal throne sat atop a raised platform. A figure sat in the throne, eyes closed. His hair was jet black, and his features youthful. He was dressed in exquisite robes of fine silk and gold thread. At the base of the platform knelt two robed and hooded figures, one male and one female, facing each other. Hovering above the throne was a single massive green crystal, triangular in shape, which glowed brightly.

Someone thinks highly of themselves, Osborn commented.

Heresy, Tolly growled.

How can there be heresy if there are no gods? said a calm voice, intruding into the Legacy’s telepathic conversation. The voice clearly belonged to the figure on the throne.

The Legacy slowly began moving into the chamber, spreading out from the hole they had arrived from. “There are still gods, you realize,” Tolly said aloud.

For now.

"So, who do we have the honor of addressing?" Yuri asked.

They all heard a mental sigh. A shame that after all this time we’ve pursued each other, you wouldn’t know me when we met.

“Kristyan, I presume,” Kyle said.

The figure on the throne nodded his head.

Arrie stepped forward. “Where are they, Kristyan? You know who I’m talking about.”

You will be able to see them soon, Kristyan told her. Now, as I was saying, how can there be heresy when the gods no longer exist?

“You define the concept too narrowly,” Tolly said. “Your actions are an abomination to all life, and to the principles embodied by the gods, regardless of their physical forms.”

My actions are necessary to free us all, Kristyan replied. And once I have drained Silko’s power, I will be able to reshape the world as it should be.

“How?” Kyle asked.

Kristyan smiled. I will bring Aelfenn here.

“You will destroy Aelfenn in the attempt, and you will be left with nothing!” Tolly shouted. “You are like a child playing with his father’s sword, who doesn’t realize that his play brings death!”

You have no understanding of what I am doing, Kristyan said. You mortals need to grow up. You have lived under the yoke of the gods for too long, and they will not allow you to mature and move beyond them. Instead, like poor parents, they would keep you under their wing for eternity.

“So instead, you offer us servitude under you?” Arrie asked. “Doesn’t sound like much of a trade.”

I do not demand blind obedience, only respect, Kristyan said. Though at first I will have to take a firm, guiding hand in leading the sentient races to a new age, I will be a far better parent that Erito and her ilk ever were. I will allow you to grow and choose as you will.

“Until that choice no longer includes seeing you as the supreme being,” Arrie muttered.

Kristyan regarded the Legacy for a few moments. I suppose that I should be a courteous host and offer you the chance to join my cause. What would convince you to work for me?

“What are you offering?” Yuri asked.

Anything you desire. Images suddenly filled Yuri’s mind, showing her every one of her wants and desires fulfilled, no matter how extreme, or decadent. She even saw a vision of herself as the ruler of her own world.

Yuri thought back at Kristyan. I want my world back the way it was before, with the gods restored.

Kristyan smiled sadly at her. That I will not do. I would be remiss were I to deny you the opportunity for growth you desperately need.

Then see? You really aren’t willing to give me anything I want.

Arrie stepped forward again. “This debate is pointless. You won’t convince us that your side is right, and we can’t convince you that what you’re doing is going to destroy reality. I think this is the time when we start trying to kill each other.”

I suppose it is, Kristyan said.

Remove ads