Tales of the Legacy - Concluded

Delemental

First Post
Richard II said:
Yay, new story.

As I was waiting for a new update, I went back and reread most of the old stories, and something sort of occured to me. If Phanuel is autumn's father, shouldn't autumn be a half celestial instead of just plane-touched? Granted, I'm not up to date on my Good Outsider Biology Lessons, so it could be that the amount of celestial power imparted to offspring is immaterial of exactly when the celestial outsider showed up in the background, but to me Celestial + Human = Half Celestial.

Yeah, we took a bit of liberty there from D&D canon; you're right that normally an aasimar's celestial bloodline is several generations removed. Autumn's mom being 'Touched by an Angel' is part of her backstory, but obviously there'd be balance issues with throwing the Half Celestial template on the character. It was simply decided that the amount of outsider 'essence' imparted to a child can vary widely. Whether the celestial in question has any control over that isn't really known.

AelfennDM

First Post
OK, ENWorld won't reset my password, so a new profile it is. *grumble*

Richard II said:
Yay, new story.

As I was waiting for a new update, I went back and reread most of the old stories, and something sort of occured to me. If Phanuel is autumn's father, shouldn't autumn be a half celestial instead of just plane-touched? Granted, I'm not up to date on my Good Outsider Biology Lessons, so it could be that the amount of celestial power imparted to offspring is immaterial of exactly when the celestial outsider showed up in the background, but to me Celestial + Human = Half Celestial.

Here's the deal with half-breeds (note - only human/other pairings create half-breeds, all others fail to produce):

When a human mates with a member of another race, whether on Aelfenn or an extraplanetary* creature, the child that is produced is either a half-whatever (half-orc, half-elf, etc.), or is, in game terms, a human with the half-whatever template applied to it (half-celestial, half-fire elemental, half-axiomatic, etc.). The gods decided that a being with inherent planetary powers but none of the restrictions just wouldn't do. Thus, at some point around the beginning of puberty, that child falls into a deep coma. During this extended sleep, they must choose which half of themselve they will follow. They receive visions of possible futures based on possible choices they make, so it isn't just a blind guess. The child is not allowed to wake up until the choice is made, though if it takes longer than a month, the child will simply vanish.

For those born of two mortal races - if they choose the non-human parent race, they become a full-blooded member of that race. Half-elves would become elves, for example. If they choose the human race, they become human...mostly. In the above example, the child would become elf-touched. Statwise, they are essentially the same as humans, but gain minor stat adjustments (+1 and -1) and trade their human feat for a weak version of their non-human parent's vision. An elf-touched, for example, gains +1 Dex, -1 Con, and the ability to see half-again as far in low-light conditions as a human (a torch illuminates 30 feet). Note that it is in theory possible to have gnome-, hin-, and dwarf-touched, but these are rather rare due to, ahem, various size considerations.

For those born of a human and an extra-planetary creature - same process as above, but a larger portion of the non-human parent's power remains within the child if they choose the human. This gives them spell-like abilities, resistances, and some fairly nice stat boosts, but comes with a level adjustment (+1 for all of 'em).

*I say extra-planetary because Aelfenn doesn't use the standard D&D cosmology. The other planets (and moons, as well as the sun) provide the functions of the Elemental and Outer planes. The entire thing is self-contained within its own crystal sphere (see Spelljammer), and is barred from the Planes in a manner somewhat similar to Athas (see Dark Sun). And yet there are so many familiar elements...(and it's not entirely 'cos the DM's lazy, either).

Delemental

First Post
The writing in this installment's kind of blah, but I needed to get it finished before it drove me nuts.

-------------------------------------

The next door opened into a room that was filled with a thick, white fog, which swirled around and made it impossible to see more than a few feet. Kyle winced when he tried to view the fog with detect magic, and was nearly blinded – magic permeated the fog, and though it was not very strong, it was enough to render magical senses useless. As they moved into the room cautiously, the door behind them vanished, and the mist suddenly turned a garish violet hue.

They quickly learned that the fog did more than obscure vision, as Autumn suddenly doubled over, coughing violently. Blood seeped out of the corners of her mouth, and she looked pale. The others could feel the purple vapors burning at their lungs, sapping their vitality. They also began to hear a sound like stone scraping on stone, from somewhere deep in the fog.

Holding her breath, Arrie motioned for everyone to spread out and move into the room. They had only gone a few feet when the fog changed colors from purple to green, and this time Arrie, Autumn, and Kyle felt its effects, as their joints stiffened up. Looking at each other, they saw that there were gray hairs and crow’s feet where none had been before.

“This isn’t a fun place,” Kyle gagged.

“It gets worse,” Osborn said. The hin had donned his magical blindfold that allowed him to sense his surroundings. “There are walls in here, that keep moving around and shifting.”

“I see no walls,” Tolly said, as he restored some of Autumn’s lost vitality.

“Force walls,” Kyle explained. “Son of a…”

The fog turned a burnt orange color, and once again Kyle was affected, feeling his senses being dulled. They were also starting to encounter the invisible force walls, which arrested their progress, but then seemed to shift position just as they adjusted, providing a new obstacle. Worse yet, the vapors continued to change colors, with each hue assaulting their bodies and minds in different ways.

“I don’t feel like doing a maze today,” Kyle growled, and cast a spell. An inky black orb appeared next to him, and the colored vapors surrounding it began rushing into the blackness. The orb moved forward at Kyle’s mental command, and when it touched one of the force walls, the wall wavered and vanished.

Kyle finished casting another spell. “Ready to go?” He thought to the others.

“When did you get that?” Tolly asked.

“A while ago. I’ve been waiting for an opportunity to use it.”

Through trial and error, the party was able to make their way close to Kyle, who proceeded to push his way through the force maze. There were a couple of delays when new walls sprung up behind Kyle, cutting him off from the others, but these problems were quickly resolved. Making their way through the color-changing fog, they eventually found the source of the grinding noise; a pair of large earth elementals. These were easily dealt with – Kyle disintegrated one with his sphere, and the three warrior women took apart the other. With the opposition removed, they had little difficulty moving to the other side of the room and finding the door out.

Another transitory passageway took them to a ledge overlooking a large cavern. The room was dominated by a massive pool of magma, which smoked and boiled about twenty feet below the ledge. The ceiling above them was obscured by smoke and sulphur. Pillars of stone of varying sizes jutted from the magma, forming irregular platforms all the way across the room. Standing upon many of those pillars were a half-dozen monks dressed in traditional Ardaran garb, silently and patiently holding vigil in the room.

“I thought all of the monks were killed,” Arrie said, as Kyle placed a spell on everyone to protect them from the heat, and Tolly infused everyone with healing energies.

“They were,” replied Yuri. “Look closer.”

They peered through the smoke and heat shimmers, and saw that the monk’s bodies were translucent, like those of ghosts.

Kupa, who was having difficulty remaining perched on the small ledge with the others, spread his wings and started to fly across the room. But a sudden burst of hot wind blasted him, threatening to push him into the magma. He quickly twisted and dug his claws into the wall, hanging on until the wind subsided.

“I guess I’m not flying across,” Autumn said. She looked at Tolly. “Can you talk to them?”

Meanwhile, Yuri took a couple of steps back and made a jump for the closest ledge, about eight yards away. She nearly cleared the distance, but the volcanic rock on the edge of the pillar crumbled under her feet, and she dropped suddenly, barely able to catch the edge of the pillar. Rocks tumbled down the side of the column, splashing into the magma below. The Sargian dragoon’s arms trembled with exertion as she tried to pull herself to safety, but a moment later she found herself suspended in midair, held aloft by a telekinesis spell from Kyle. He set her down gently on the pillar.

“Next time don’t miss!” he said to her, with a grin on his face.

As she stood, one of the ghostly monks leapt across the chasm to confront her. An insubstantial fist swept through her, and the Sargian felt her strength sapped by the touch. Yuri and the monk began circling each other.

Arrie, activating her psionic powers, began walking along the outer wall. She pulled out her spiked chain Strike From Beyond and began weaving it around herself in a defensive maneuver as she walked. Autumn, however, turned to Tolly.

“I’m tired of forcing our way through this place,” she said to him, speaking aloud. “You’re Ardaran, as are they. Can’t you talk to them?”

Tolly, nodding, stepped to the edge of the outcropping. “Brothers!” he shouted across the room, “We must pass!”

The monks looked up at Tolly, and spoke in unison. “Then as a true believer of our faith, you know we must discharge our duty.

Autumn then stepped forward to Tolly’s side. “Please!” she called to them, “It is at the behest of your goddess through his faithful servant Tolly that we have come here. The world outside this place faces a grave threat from enemies that have not been seen since the days of the Cataclysm. These enemies are seeking out the relics of the gods in order to bring about their destruction. Already, they have struck here – your living brothers above are no more. We were sent to secure the soulsteel and place it in safekeeping. If truly your eternal task is to preserve the safety of this relic, then you must have the wisdom to know when that task must be given to others.”

There was a long silence, save for the bubbling and hissing of the magma below. Then the monks slowly floated up through the ceiling. After only a minute or so, they returned to where they had been. “What you say of our brothers in faith has been verified. Your words have wisdom, Daughter of Bail. But we must know that Ardara has appointed a worthy guardian.

In the center of the room, a large, rectangular platform appeared, floating over the magma and rock pillars. The monks all floated toward the platform and landed upon it, and then a glowing bridge extended from the platform to the ledge where the party stood.

Come, Son of Ardara,” the monks said in unison. “If you would claim guardianship of the soulsteel from us, you must show your worth by defeating us in single combat.” The six monks then stepped closer to one another, and began merging together, until they had combined into a single being, who radiated power despite his serene posture.

“At least he’s solid now,” Osborn noted. “Although I notice a disturbing lack of walls in that arena.”

Tolly stepped onto the bridge, having no doubt that despite its translucency it would support him. He made the crossing to the platform beyond, and stood silently studying his foe.

“So what are the rules?” Kyle asked. The others looked at him.

“What? They’re Ardarans. There have to be rules. Is this fight to the death, first blood, first fall? Any time to prepare before they start? Can allies help with preparation?”

The Son of Ardara will be given the space of ten heartbeats to prepare himself. His allies may not intervene. The combat will end when one side yields or may no longer continue. If you are victorious, you may depart with the soulsteel. If we are victorious, then you will join us here in our eternal guardianship.” The monk waved his hand, and Tolly felt all of the magic that had been placed upon him by his friends disappear. Nodding his understanding, Tolly took a moment to cast iron body on himself, and then divine power as he and the monk closed the distance to each other.

The monk leapt into the air and landed a solid kick on the side of Tolly’s head, and then followed it up with another to his chest. Tolly attempted to cast a spell on the monk, but he easily shrugged it off. Seeing that relying on magic would not serve him well, Tolly shifted to a more direct approach, hefting the soulsteel maul and swinging it as the monk closed once again. The two combatants exchanged a furious series of blows each time the monk came in close, but then he would leap away. But Tolly had been moving as well, and had managed to position himself so that when the monk jumped out of melee, he landed near the edge.

With a roar, Tolly charged into the monk, lowering his shoulder and hitting the monk square in the chest, sending him hurtling back over the edge. As soon as the monk’s feet cleared the edge of the platform, he vanished, and suddenly Tolly found himself standing among his friends on the ledge.

You are found worthy,” the voice of the monks echoed from everywhere in the room. “You may pass.

The Legacy made their way across the room through a combination of magic, psionic power, and sheer muscle, soon arriving on the far side to the expected plain door and short passageway beyond.

The chamber beyond was a large but simple room, and held a single stone dais in the middle, about ten feet across. Terran runes were carved on the flat surface of the dais. Surrounding the dais on the walls were several statues, primarily of humans and dwarves – presumably notable figures of the faith.

“That which is most precious must be left behind,” Tolly translated.

“Precious to whom?” Kyle asked. “To Ardara, or to us?”

“Maybe you’re supposed to leave the soulsteel,” Yuri suggested. “Sort of a test of faith thing.”

“It’s not much of a test of faith if you know it’s a test of faith,” Arrie pointed out.

Suddenly, Kupa strode forward and climbed up on the dais, curling his tail around his body as he laid down. There was a brief, warm glow in the room, and then another door opened.

“I take it you’re staying, then,” Tolly said.

“It seems to make sense,” Kupa replied. “A dragon would be very precious to Ardara – we are her favored servants. And I’ve been thinking about settling down for a while anyway. This place would make a very nice lair.”

“I see,” Tolly nodded. “Then take care of yourself, Kupa. We will stay in touch.”

“Indeed. It has been quite an experience.”

Tolly drew out his maul, the one he’d forged himself many years ago, and set it on the dais next to Kupa. “A donation for your hoard,” he said.

“Thank you,” Kupa said, “I’m genuinely touched.”

The rest of the Legacy said their farewells, and then made their way through the door. They emerged into the large foyer that marked the entrance to the monastery. The stone door leading outside had been left open slightly, and snow drifted in, covering the bare stone floor. A raven hopped through the snow, pecking at the bits of viscera that were left from the battle. The raven looked up at the Legacy when they appeared, squawked, and then shook its feathers. As it shook, the raven grew and shifted form, and within moments Princess Aralda was standing where the raven had been.

“We need you to come back to Noxolt,” she said without preamble. “We’ve lost contact with Lanara and Herion.”

“Of course,” Tolly said. “Kyle, are you willing to risk a teleportation?”

He turned and saw Kyle already beginning the incantations.

Delemental

First Post
The Crystal Citadel

The following post has been rated PG-13 for mature content.

Because, you know, we talk about mortgages and retirement plans and stuff like that. :)

------------------------------

They arrived in the hills surrounding the city of Noxolt, just off one of the main roads. Arrie immediately began walking toward the city, as did Aralda and Autumn. The others hurried to catch up. Looking back over his shoulder, Kyle noted a lingering magical afterimage had been left in the spot they had teleported in, showing the silhouettes of the party. About ten minutes later, they all heard a loud explosion from the area they’d come from. Everyone glanced at Kyle, who shrugged; it was one of the magical distortions that had plagued casters since the ascension of Silko, and he had little control over it.

“At least it was an unpopulated area,” he said. They’d had to teleport in well outside the city, as the Imperial Palace itself was well warded against teleportation and divinations.

They met with no opposition as they entered the city and then the palace grounds, and were immediately ushered in to a secure room.

Arrie turned to Aralda as soon as the servants left. “Give us the details,” she said, curtly but not unkindly.

“Lanara and Herion have been in constant communication with us since they left on their diplomatic mission to the Tauric Empire,” Aralda said. “They’ve been in Erum, negotiating with the Taurics over a peace accord. The negotiations had been going along fairly; although the Taurics have a superior force, the size of their fleet has meant that they are even more troubled by the regions of Dream overlay than we have been, and so they are eager to negotiate a reasonable truce to deal with the problem jointly. We’ve been getting regular progress reports from them, about two a week on average. But when the letters stopped coming several days ago, we sent out a scout patrol to see what was going on. The patrol never returned. Our diviners have also tried to determine what happened, but their magic simply doesn’t work when they try to find either Herion or Lanara. Our priests can only confirm that they aren’t dead. The Emperor has asked that the Legacy look into this personally.”

“Had there been any changes in the negotiations?” Kyle asked.

“None that would explain their disappearance,” Aralda said. “They were actually starting to come to an agreement on some key issues. I think the Taurics are getting tired of living on boats.”

“We will want to see the letters they’ve sent, of course,” Tolly said.

“Of course, though I can tell you now that our cryptographers have found no secret messages or coded warnings. But most of them were penned by Lanara, so there may be something you will see that we haven’t.”

“It may be something as subtle as her choice of words,” Tolly said.

Aralda snapped her fingers. “Ah, before I forget – Tolly, you have had visitors awaiting your return for some time.”

“Then they can wait longer,” he said. “This takes precedence.”

“They are quite… insistent.”

“Very well,” he sighed. “I’ll see them this afternoon.”

The letters from Lanara were brought in for inspection. Though they went over every word with a fine-toothed comb, the Legacy could see nothing out of the ordinary about any of the letters. Finally, they agreed that looking for clues in Noxolt was fruitless, and with divinations giving no information, their only course of action was to travel to where Lanara and the prince had last been seen.

Their discussion was interrupted by the arrival of visitors. This came as no real surprise; several of the palace staff had come in to see the Legacy, expressing their fears of what had happened to their prince and to Lanara, and imploring the Legacy to find them. Over half their time had been spent shaking hands and offering words of encouragement. Clearly, both of the missing people were held in high regard.

When the newest visitors came into the room, however, everyone stood up in surprise. Tolly was the first to step forward.

“Princess Nidru, Princess Lajila,” he said. “It’s an honor to see you again.”

The two princesses from the Red Archipelago smiled, and exchanged greetings with the others. “We were told we would find you here, Tolly Nightsleaving,” Nidru said.

“How may I be of service?” he asked.

The two sisters exchanged a look that spoke volumes, then returned their focus to Tolly. “Our father, King Bali, charged you with our protection in the wake of the arrival of the Tauric invaders, did he not?”

“Indeed,” agreed Tolly. “Which is why I arranged for you to remain here at the Imperial Palace, which offers both security and accommodations suiting your status.”

“And this has been sufficient to a point,” Lajila said. “However, given the current state of the world, we feel that the place where we will be safest is at your side.” Both women then moved up and stood to either side of the Ardaran, cozying up to him in a manner that was best described as ‘familiar’.

Tolly turned slightly pink as he regarded the two women at his sides. “I’m honored by your trust in me,” he said, “but our missions require…”

“We are not helpless ourselves, Tolly,” Lajila said. “We are both ordained to the service of Krûsh, though the power he grants us is not as great as what Ardara has bestowed upon you. Ours is an offer of aid as well as a request for protection.”

“Well…”

“Oh, come on, Tolly,” Kyle said, grinning. “You know there’s no sense in turning down help. Besides, you did promise.”

Tolly sighed. “Very well, since you insist. I must warn you that we will likely leave tomorrow.”

“We will be ready,” Nidru told him. “We have few material possessions and can pack quickly.”

“They certainly don’t need a lot of time to pack clothes,” Yuri said under her breath, eyeing the scantily clad twins.

Lajila and Nidru took their leave of the party and returned to their suite. Tolly still looked uncomfortable after they left.

“Hey, it’s four more eyes working for us when we go look for Herion and Lanara,” Arrie said.

“They have eyes?” Osborn joked.

“I don’t really care what you do with them on your own time,” Arrie continued, “but if they are going to distract half of you on this search, then I’ll…” The threat was unfinished as Arrie suddenly collapsed to the floor in a heap.

Everyone looked at each other. “Stress?” suggested Yuri.

“It wouldn’t be like her,” Kyle said, as Tolly knelt down to check her vitals. A dark look crossed the priest’s face. “Kyle, come here,” he said. “Tell me what you see.”

Kyle next down and studied Arrie closely. His face paled. “Necromancy, with a delayed trigger effect.”

Tolly swore and cast a quick spell, which shimmered and dissipated with no apparent effect. “That should have worked,” he said, and tried the same incantation again. The result was the same. Cursing again, he raised up and extended a hand. His soulsteel weapon flowed out from his arm and shaped itself into a short, sharp blade, which he used to slice through Arrie’s chain shirt like it was cloth. He then began pounding on her chest.

“What is it?” Autumn asked, pushing forward. “What’s wrong?”

“She’s dead,” Tolly said somberly.

* * *​

It took several minutes to calm Autumn down.

“My best guess,” Kyle said, walking back to Arrie’s body as Yuri and Osborn talked to Autumn in a corner of the room, “is that the spell was laid on her by one of the many visitors we’ve had today. There was plenty of opportunity.”

“So someone with access to the palace,” Tolly surmised.

“Something like that,” Kyle growled. “How many necromancers are in this damn family, anyway?” He scanned everyone else in the room. “No one else has any sign of strange magic.”

“We need to alert the Emperor,” Tolly said. “This could be a plot against the entire Imperial family. We need…”

Arrie suddenly sat bolt upright, drawing in a huge, gasping breath. Everyone rushed to her side.

“What happened?” Autumn shouted, after she wrapped her sister in a tight embrace. “How did you…”

“Wait a minute,” Tolly said, putting his hand on Autumn’s shoulder. He looked squarely at Arrie. “Ariadne, who won the bar fight the first time we were in Laeshir?”

“Kyle,” she replied.

“What was the exact amount you had to loan Kyle to pay his bar tab?”

“One hundred and thirty-four silver.”

“What was the name of the boy whose front teeth you knocked out when you were seven?”

“Jules, the stable hand.”

“Why?”

“He tried to kiss me, and boys are icky.”

Everyone sighed in relief. “You’re you,” he said. Some time ago, the Legacy had decided that in a world of shapeshifters, illusionists, and mind controllers, they needed some way of telling if someone was really who they said they were. They’d come up with a series of questions to be asked at random, combining a mix of various details that only the real person would know, as well as some deliberately altered facts to throw off anyone who’d done their homework.

Ariadne looked down at her chest, which was very sore. She noted the loose flaps of her chain shirt, and several links scattered about on the floor. “You own me a new shirt, Tolly,” she said, as she pulled the severed sides together to cover herself.

“I can have it repaired by morning,” he said. “But I’m curious as to what exactly happened. You were dead, and my attempts to return your soul to your body were blocked.”

Arrie nodded. “I know what happened. And we need to go.”

“Go? Go where?”

“First of all, somewhere we can talk privately. Very privately.”

Many suggestions were made, but in the end they settled on a simple rope trick spell. Once they were all inside, Arrie spoke.

“I was dead,” she began, “there was no trick there. The reason you couldn’t do anything about it, and the reason I was able to come back, is that Erito is the one who killed me.”

There was a thick silence in the small extradimensional space. “Why?” Autumn finally asked.

“Because it was the only way she would be able to talk to me.”

“What did she have to say?” Kyle inquired.

“She wanted to warn us about a very grave threat to all of us.”

“From Silko?”

“No. She doesn’t deny that Silko is bad news, but apparently Kristyan is worse.”

“How?” Osborn asked. “Silko’s a god now, and Kristyan’s just his lackey.”

“Kristyan has apparently constructed a Citadel of some kind. It’s this Citadel, or whatever’s inside, that has caused the overlays of the Dream Realm to appear in our world. Unfortunately, he apparently didn’t think things through when he built it, because now things are starting to come apart.”

“What do you mean,” Yuri said slowly, “’come apart’?”

“He’s tearing apart reality. If allowed to continue, he will break everything. Every. Thing. Erito’s exact words to me were, ‘He must be stopped, even at the cost of Aelfenn itself.’”

“Then we are not just saving our world,” Tolly said, “but the entire universe.”

Arrie nodded.

“Let’s go,” Yuri said.

“First we need to find out where we’re going,” Arrie said.

“I don’t suppose that Erito drew a map on you anywhere,” Kyle asked. Arrie shook her head.

“Erito has no awareness of where the Citadel is located – all she knows is that it is made of crystal. And mum’s the word on this – we can’t tell anyone what we’re doing, no matter how much we trust them. If Kristyan gets wind that we’re looking for the Citadel, we’re screwed. Erito had to kill me to be able to tell me safely.”

Tolly sighed. “We can’t rely on divinations, since we’ve never even met Kristyan in person. Even if we had, he’s likely warded against them.” The Ardaran’s face suddenly brightened. “I’m willing to bet that this Crystal Citadel is in the Dream Realm, or on the boundary between that place and our world. It would explain why Erito is unable to locate it.”

“That’s still a big area to look in,” Osborn said.

“But travel in the Dream Realm is a matter of intent, not directions,” Arrie said. “If we go there with the desire to find the Citadel, we’ll find it.”

“Unless he’s manipulated Dream to the point of blocking that aspect of its reality,” Kyle said.

“But even then, it will at least tell us we’re looking in the right place, because we’ll be able to feel our minds struggling against something.”

“And let’s not forget that since Erito gave us this information directly, Kristyan has no way of knowing that we know about the Citadel,” Autumn added. “He won’t know that we’re looking for it.”

“Now we just have to hope that Silko doesn’t notice us,” Yuri said.

“Actually, I don’t think Silko knows about what Kristyan’s doing, either,” Arrie said. “Think about it. Silko went to all this trouble to bring himself back and ascend to godhood so he could rule over creation – do you really think he wants dominion over a shattered universe? It’s possible that Kristyan is either ignorant of what he’s doing with his Citadel, or is a true nihilist.”

“Then I suppose we should go about getting to the Dream Realm,” Kyle said. “I hate to say it, but Herion and Lanara will have to wait.”

“I know,” Arrie said. “I’ll have to go tell that to Aralda and Haxtha.”

Those conversations turned out to be just as unpleasant for Ariadne as she had expected. Aralda cried and yelled for a while, and then became increasingly cold toward Arrie, which was no great surprise given that she was unable to explain exactly why she was not going to go looking for her husband and Aralda’s brother.

“Fine,” she snapped at the end, “if you can explain to the Emperor why you feel you can disobey an Imperial Order, then I will let it pass.” With that Aralda turned and stormed out of the room.

Haxtha was no less difficult. “Unacceptable,” was all he said to her. “You will continue with your mission to locate Prince Herion and Lanara Rahila.”

“Haxtha,” Arrie said slowly, “as much as your brother is one of the most important people in the world to me, and as much as I would do anything to make sure that he was safe, right now we have to move in a different direction.”

“Unless you tell me why, I cannot accept that.”

“Surely, you have been in a position yourself where you must order people to do things without telling them the reasons, because you know that allowing that information loose is dangerous. If I tell you why, it will negate an effort that we cannot duplicate.”

“You have to give me something more than ‘trust me’, Ariadne.”

She paused. “Haxtha, you have faith, am I right?”

“Of course.”

“Have faith now. I’m not asking you to trust me.”

He sat silently for a moment. “I will consider it. You will have my answer by morning.”

* * *​

There was a knock on Tolly’s door that night.

“Come in,” he called from his room, where he sat at a desk table writing letters to his superiors in the Church.

Princess Nidru walked into the room, wearing a diaphanous gown which left little to the imagination. Even this proved too much, apparently, because Nidru reached behind her neck and released a clasp, and the gown fell softly to the floor.

“Princess…” Tolly began, swallowing back a lump in his throat. Nidru walked to his side and gently pulled the quill from his hand.

“There will be no argument, Tolly Nightsleaving,” she said to him. “Tonight I will share your bed, and the next night it will be Lajila. We both expect to be with child as soon as possible. Is this understood?”

Tolly thought for a moment. “The gods' will be done,” he said at last, and he reached for her.

* * *​

When dawn broke the next day, the Legacy was already in the palace courtyard, preparing to leave. Word had already traveled that the famed heroes would not be going north to look for Lanara and Herion, and more than once they were the recipients of a cold stare or muttered comment from a passing servant.

Emperor Haxtha came out as the party was beginning to take their mounts, arriving without announcement or fanfare. He walked up to Arrie and looked up at her, lightly grasping the reins of her horse.

“I have spent the night in prayer and meditation,” he said quietly. “And Erito has seen fit to grant me a revelation as to the scope, if not the nature of your mission. I don’t say this often, but I apologize for standing in your way. I will find others to search for the prince and your companion.”

Arrie nodded. “I would have stood in our way, too.” She wheeled her horse around and took off out of the courtyard, heading west with the rest of the Legacy.

Two days of hard riding brought them to the gates of Vargas. Autumn greeted her people warmly as they passed through the streets of the city. The Tauric invasion had halted just north of the city, and most of the people credited Duchess Autumn and her military forces for keeping the Taurics at bay. Thus, at the moment, she was wildly popular.

“Quite a difference from the first time you came to the city,” Osborn observed.

“Yes, but I feel it’s undeserved praise. It was Togusa who led my armies, and my mother who ministered to the state. And the Taurics stopped their invasion because of Silko and the Dream Realm problems, not because of my rule here.”

“So take credit for choosing good people,” Osborn said. “Let the people have their heroine. You’ve spilled as much of your own blood on this ground as anyone else – you deserve it.”

Autumn smiled, and waved at the crowd.

They arrived at the ducal manor and were greeted by Autumn and Arrie’s mother, Auror. Autumn began to head for her offices, followed by the others.

“We really should be leaving now,” Arrie said.

“I have a few matters that require my personal attention,” Autumn explained. “I do have to do some of the ruling around my own duchy.”

Arrie stepped up and whispered, “But it won’t really matter much if we’re too late to stop things.”

“Yes,” Autumn replied quietly, “but no one besides the six of us knows that. In the meanwhile, life goes on for everyone else in Vargex. And if we succeed, those people still need me to be their Duchess, even if only for a few hours.”

Arrie paused as Autumn continued up the stairs to her rooms. “Sometimes I just don’t get her,” she said.

“Try being the secret leader of a continent-wide clandestine paramilitary group some day,” Osborn said as he walked by.

By the next morning they were all ready, having seen to their personal affairs in case they didn’t come back. They walked out into the city, toward a large section of buildings that had been walled off. Vargas had been hit by two manifestations of the Dream Realm; the first was a fairly straightforward section of Nightmare, and that area had been sealed off and was under heavy guard to keep anything emerging from it at bay. No one went near that part of town.

The other area, where the Legacy was now headed, was entirely different. This section was also walled off and guarded, but in this case the guards were there to keep people out, not to keep creatures in. Autumn surveyed the newly-built wall when they got close enough, nodding with approval at the skeletal guards patrolling the base.

“Remind me to commend the mage who came up with the idea of using undead guards,” she said.

“You’re welcome,” Kyle said.

After a brief yet saccharine display of affection, Autumn and Kyle turned their attention back to the wall, and the thick iron gate off to one side.

“Better get all of that out of your system now,” Arrie said.

“It doesn’t really matter,” Kyle said. “There’s not much you can do to insulate yourself from the effects of the Fields of Love. We’ll just have to tough it out. But we can expect that at least a couple of us will fall victim to the area’s influence, and will have to be pulled out of it by the others.”

“What do these Fields of Love do?” Lajila asked.

“It’s an overlay of Dream that represents erotic dreams,” Tolly explained to her. “It evokes uncontrollable lust in those inside.”

“And before you ask ‘what’s so bad about that?’” Osborn piped in, “It’s a lust that overrides all other concerns – not just social propriety, but the desire for food, sleep, anything.”

“I can understand why you guard it so well,” Nidru said.

They approached the iron gate, Tolly easily holding back the skeletons with his holy symbol as Autumn opened the lock with a large key. Arrie steeled her mind against the realm’s influence, and Tolly called upon his faith to help keep everyone’s emotional state in check. Osborn donned his magical blindfold, and then, as an afterthought, opened up his portable hole and had Rupert crawl inside. With a last look back, they entered the Fields of Love.

The sensory assault was immediate and overwhelming. The streets and buildings appeared the same, but they were surrounded by a reddish orange mist, and occasionally there were brief glimpses of humanoid-like figures sliding through the mist, most with exaggerated physical characteristics. The air smelled of flowers and exotic perfumes, with an undercurrent of musk, and the only sounds they heard were reminiscent of sighs of pleasure. They had traversed only a few feet when it became clear that some people were slowing in their progress. Yuri stood transfixed, her eyes unfocused and her breathing heavy.

“She’s been influenced by the realm,” Tolly said. “Some erotic figment had entered her mind.”

Autumn began to move to shake Yuri or otherwise distract her, when she heard moaning. She turned her head, and immediately flushed with anger.

Kyle and Arrie were locked in a passionate embrace, kissing deeply as their hands roamed everywhere. Autumn began to move toward them, balling her fists, when Tolly put a hand on her shoulder.

“Before you do something… violent,” he said, “Listen for a moment. Neither of them realizes who is in their arms.”

Autumn stopped for a moment, and realized he was right. By the names they called out, it was clear that Arrie was entranced by a vision of her own husband, Herion, while Kyle was caught up in a waking dream about his own wife. Both had simply reached out in the midst of their individual fantasies, and made contact with the closest person to them.

“Well, beyond the fact that this is really weird to watch,” Osborn said, “I don’t think we’re getting very far with three people down, and the longer we stay here the more likely this turns into an eight-way orgy.”

“Then you wish them to stop?” Lajila asked.

“Yes, please,” Autumn said. “Now.”

Lajila and Nirdu stepped forward and cast some spells that were unfamiliar to both Tolly and Osborn. The glazed look vanished from the eyes of Yuri, Arrie, and Kyle. While Yuri’s recovery was relatively easy, Kyle and Arrie spent a few moments looking at each other, both clearly trying and failing to come up with something to say. Then slowly, slowly, they disentangled themselves, took a large step away from each other, and began to quietly readjust clothing and armor that had been pushed out of place.

“We need to move on,” Osborn said. “Tolly, you take the lead.”

They began to move forward, deeper into the region of Dream. They had no particular destination in mind; they only needed to get far enough in that they could transition to the Dream Realm fully.

“Hurry up,” Arrie said, her eyes riveted on the ground. “I want to get somewhere where I’ll be able to make contact with all of you again. Eye contact! I meant eye contact! I hate this place!”

“I think we may have come far enough,” Tolly said, stopping suddenly. He raised his hands toward an area directly ahead, where the mist seemed to be coalescing into a narrow vertical oval shape. As the mist thickened and the oval widened, Tolly extended both hands on an impulse and placed them in the middle of the oval, then pulled them apart slowly as if drawing back curtains. The oval parted down the middle, irising into a portal. An area of bright light lay beyond.

“Wow,” Yuri said, “talk about your blatant metaphors.”

“No one will accuse the Fields of Love of subtlety,” Osborn said. “Let’s get out of here.”

They all moved quickly through the opening, with Autumn the last to leave. They stood in the midst of a bright, blinding light.

The quest for the Crystal Citadel had begun.

Krafus

First Post
:lol: Maybe Tolly should be nicknamed Starbuck (for the bull, not the restaurant chain) and place an ad: "In need of superior heirs for your kingdom/country/city? Look no further! Tolly 'Starbuck' Nightsleaving, priest of the Church of Ardara and one of the heroes of the famed Legacy adventuring group, offers very reasonable rates and a proven track record of quality offspring. Questions can be asked through sendings or by sending a representative to the Imperial Palace."

More seriously, though, is it a custom for Red Archipelago princesses to seek the 'best' foreigners to sire the heirs to the throne? I can see the advantages, but I can also easily envision the local nobles not being happy at this state of affairs. (Apologies if this has been explained before - I've only read the latest update.)

Delemental

First Post
Krafus said:
:lol: Maybe Tolly should be nicknamed Starbuck (for the bull, not the restaurant chain) and place an ad: "In need of superior heirs for your kingdom/country/city? Look no further! Tolly 'Starbuck' Nightsleaving, priest of the Church of Ardara and one of the heroes of the famed Legacy adventuring group, offers very reasonable rates and a proven track record of quality offspring. Questions can be asked through sendings or by sending a representative to the Imperial Palace."

More seriously, though, is it a custom for Red Archipelago princesses to seek the 'best' foreigners to sire the heirs to the throne? I can see the advantages, but I can also easily envision the local nobles not being happy at this state of affairs. (Apologies if this has been explained before - I've only read the latest update.)

I'm certain that the princesses are concerned about producing an heir, since as far as they know they are the only survivors of the royal line (the REd Archipelago was destroyed in the initial Tauric invasion, and the King and princes stayed behind to defend their lands). Certainly they would see Tolly as an ideal candidate, given that he's a man of faith and obviously strong and healthy.

Also bear in mind that in general the inhabitants of the islands don't hold to 'traditional' views about monogamy, and in this world one of the aspects of their god (though a minor one) is fertility and pleasure.

Ultimately, of course, the reason Lajila and Nidru have attached themselves to Tolly is that they are his new cohorts. :)

nwjavahead

First Post
Great!

Bloody Good Job on the SH!

Been away from RPG/ENWorld for a very long time becuase of RL bullsh*te. Good to see this SH is still around.

Any chance on a RG of the PCs, eh?

nwjavahead aka djordje

Delemental

First Post
nwjavahead said:
Bloody Good Job on the SH!

Been away from RPG/ENWorld for a very long time becuase of RL bullsh*te. Good to see this SH is still around.

Any chance on a RG of the PCs, eh?

nwjavahead aka djordje

Thanks for the compliment. Nice to know that even with the far more erratic posting of late, people are still hanging out to read it.

As far as a Rogue's Gallery...

Well, I've always held off on doing a Gallery. Partially because I kind of feel like Galleries are more interesting when you can see stuff besides the PC's stats - things like NPC write-ups and magic item descriptions that I don't have access to as a player.

Mostly, though, it's because getting all of my fellow players to bring me up to date versions of their characters has been... challenging. We'll leave it at that.

If I have time in the near future, I'll see about at least posting up Kyle.

Delemental

First Post
They emerged one the gentle slope of a grassy dell, a slight breeze causing the long grass to ripple. A few trees dotted the landscape, their branches swaying. Despite the idyllic environment, they all felt immediately uneasy, sensing something about their surroundings just wasn’t right.

It was Osborn who first noticed the problem. “Ugh,” he said, suddenly taking a step back while looking at the ground he’d just been standing on. The others moved over to see what he’d reacted to.

Osborn had been standing atop a round, pinkish-colored rock, jutting just a few inches out of the ground. At first, the problem wasn’t apparent, until a bit of wind blew past, and the all saw the rock shiver slightly, and tiny bumps emerge on the surface.

A closer look at their surrounding revealed its true nature. Everything surrounding them that would normally be living, organic matter – the trees, grass, and other plants – were in fact made of materials like stone and metal. Conversely, everything they could see that should have been inert was actually comprised of living tissue. The dark soil surrounding the flesh-rock was made of millions of tiny, crawling insects.

“This is one of those times in my life that I wish I could fly,” Yuri said.

A short distance away, they heard a slight commotion. At the bottom of the dell, they saw a group of eight figures of varying sizes. Four were humanoid, dressed in ornately decorated furs and hides, and the other four were large tyrannosaurs, standing in a protective circle around the humanoids.

“Who are they?” Autumn asked, peering down.

“They’re the Elder Druids of Tlaxan,” Kyle said, “Four out of the five, anyway.” Kyle had worked with the Elders in the recent past.

“Why are they here?”

The answer came from the Elders, who were shouting at the Legacy. “Defilers!” they shouted in fury, “Despoilers of nature! You will pay for what you have done!”

Arrie sighed. “They think we’re responsible for all this, don’t they?”

“Yes,” replied Kyle.

“They’re going to attack us, aren’t they?”

“Yes.”

“It’s worse than you think,” Tolly said. “Look closely at them.”

They all looked, and could now see that each of the Elders had small protuberances emerging from their bodies, the beginnings of new tentacles.

“They’ve been infected by the Dream Realm,” Tolly said. “We need to destroy them.”

Magic erupted as the two sides came together. Yuri leapt ahead to cut off the advance of the tyrannosaurs, while others started to circle around to get to the druids. As Autumn took to the air on her gold-flecked wings, Osborn turned invisible and began moving around the periphery. Arrie, opting for a more direct approach, was bolstered by a spell from Kyle, growing to about ten feet in height.

A cascade of white-hot flames enveloped the party, and moments later a mass of translucent dinosaurs appeared on the flank and crashed into Lajila and Nidru, stomping them with massive feet made of pure spell energy. Lajila held aloft a seashell inscribed with the image of a dolphin, and with a few words disrupted the druidic spell and caused the stampede to vanish. The favor was returned moments later, however, when Tolly attempted to strike all of their enemies with an earthquake, but it was countered by one of the druids with an almost dismissive wave.

A tremendous blast of electricity erupted in the midst of the druids, and when everyone’s eyes cleared from the sudden bright flash, they saw that one of the druids had been eradicated, leaving only a smoking spot in the unnatural grass. Arrie ran into the midst of the druids a second later, only to be pushed back by druidic magic. But clearing Arrie out of the way left them vulnerable to a pair of flame strikes from Lajila and Nidru. The other two druids chose to heal themselves.

The battle shifted to melee as the Legacy began to converge on the Elders. One of the tyrannosaurs managed to run up and snatch Kyle in its massive jaws, but Kyle vanished and reappeared a moment later. Yuri had also been caught up in the jaws of a dinosaur, and was actually swallowed by the massive beast. Arrie broke off from the druids to try and rescue her, but then a second later the dragoon appeared in the open, covered in tyrannosaur saliva. The magical cloak around her shoulders gave off a brief glow as Yuri stood there getting her bearings.

As the party began to close in again, the druids began to shift. One assumed the form of a huge water elemental, although the water looked green and foul. A second became a grossly misshapen earth elemental, oozing a black fluid from several cracks. The third erupted into flames as he assumed his elemental form, but this elemental produced a thick, noxious cloud of black smoke that smelled like burning flesh.

The druids began to battle the Legacy physically, even as their tyrannosaur companions turned to rejoin their masters. But a blade barrier from Nidru cut off two of them, and a spear attack from Yuri finished one of the beasts off. Inside the ring of blades, Osborn suddenly reappeared, hurling a dozen daggers at the fire elemental, who collapsed and quickly reverted back to his normal form. The party closed in on the two remaining druids and their cohorts, even as Kyle regrouped with the princesses and Yuri turned to face the third tyrannosaur, the Sargian putting three large holes in its scaly hide. Tolly, who had come to assist her when she’d been swallowed earlier, moved in with his own weapon and landed the fatal blow.

A short distance away, Lajila, Nidru and Kyle stood in a circle, focusing their collective will on the other two tyrannosaurs. A column of divine flame crashed down on them, magnified not only by the cooperative efforts of the two sisters but by Kyle’s deep understanding of magical forces. The flame strike was powerful enough to incinerate both of the beasts. The three of them began focusing on another spell, but their concentration was broken when the Elder Druid who had transformed into a water elemental gestured, and summoned a huge tornado right on top of them. Kyle managed to hold his ground, but the Archipeligan princesses were flung skywards, and even Yuri was pulled toward the vortex.

On the other side of the field of battle, Osborn, Autumn and Arrie continued to harass the Earth Elder and Water Elder. Arrie, who had transformed her weapon into a greatspear, had impaled the water elemental, and left him vulnerable to another barrage of daggers from Osborn. The druid collapsed like a barrel of water dropped off a cliff, slowly coalescing back into his natural body as he died. Meanwhile, Autumn landed a vicious blow against the earth elemental, causing great gouts of black fluid to gush from an abdominal wound.

The Earth Elder looked around, and saw that his enemies were closing in, and his tornado had been dispelled by the Krüshi priestesses. With a strange cry, the druid suddenly melted into the ground.

Everyone stood still for a moment, weapons ready, expecting an attack. Autumn looked as though she wanted to strike the ground where the druid had vanished, but she knew it would do no good. Slowly, they became aware of a low, steady rumbling in the ground.

“Earthquake?” Autumn asked Tolly.

He shook his head. “Not the spell. But not a natural tremor, either.”

The winds started to pick up a bit, fanning the flames that were still burning in the long grasses from the multiple firestorms and flame strikes. Clouds overhead rumbled. Osborn used his ring to turn invisible again, and Kyle and the twins tended to the injuries they’d suffered in the tornado.

The rumbling in the ground grew more intense, and rain began to fall. But the wind had also picked up to the point that the fires continued to burn, and in fact were starting to get pushed toward a central point, a natural vortex being formed by the trees around them.

“We need to get out of here,” Tolly said suddenly. He turned, and began focusing on creating a pathway out of the dell and toward the Crystal Citadel.

“What’s going on?” Autumn asked him.

“We need to go now,” Tolly said, “before something comes along that we can’t handle.”

Autumn opened her mouth to question his statement, but then noticed what everyone else was starting to see. The wind, rain, and fire were now starting to swirl and coalesce around a single point, and now the tremors were strong enough to send chunks of dirt and rock flying into the air, where they were also absorbed by the growing mass. The cloud of elemental fury grew in sixe until it towered over them, and it began to sprout tendrils which looked very much like the beginnings of arms and legs.

“I think we agree with you, Tolly,” Kyle said. “Let’s go.”

The Ardaran shook his head in frustration. “I can’t seem to focus on the destination,” he said.

“Let me try,” Arrie said, and focused her own will. She guessed that the Dream Realm might respond more readily to someone with psionic training, and so drew upon her own inner strength as she focused on an image of crystal spires.

There was a sudden wavering in the air before Arrie, and then they all sensed that a path was open for them. “Does it go to the Citadel?” Tolly shouted over the wind.

“Does it matter?” Yuri yelled back, looking over her shoulder at the monstrosity behind them.

With that, they all surged forward, moving swiftly away from the growing fury.

* * *​

They emerged from what felt like a long tunnel into what looked like another forested area, but this time the ‘trees’ were comprised entirely of enormous shards of crystal which jutted out of the ground. Crystals of all shapes, sizes and colors surrounded them, and they saw their own distorted images being reflected back at them a few dozen times.

“This is not the Citadel,” Tolly said.

“No, but it’s likely closer to it than we were before,” Arrie replied. “And besides which, it’s safer than where we were.”

A strange sensation passed over all of them – more of a vibration than a sound. All around them, the crystal shards started to vibrate slightly in resonance with some unseen stimulus, filling the air with soft, dissonant tones.

“We hope,” Kyle said quietly.

Skyduke

First Post
Hi! I just recently started reading story hours, and I must say that yours is very entertaining, and fun to read. I like the way all the characters evolved in meaningful ways, although I heartily lament Kyle's "loss of innocence". It was bound to happen, but the bumbling Kyle of their beginnings at the tower was much more endearing that the cynical arch-mage he has turned into. I hope when all this is over, he might reconsider his view of the world.

On an another note, the last few updates really have not given them much room to breathe, or even replenish their spells. It looks like they can't get a break, no matter how hard they try. The campaign must be very challenging!

Oh, by the way. I am just curious about Osborn - how does he manage to throw dozens of dagger in one round?

Thanks a lot, and keep up the good worl.

Remove ads