• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tales of the Realm - an "Urban Arcana" comic

Katowice

Explorer
I ran across this description of a seemingly Urban Arcana-inspired comic book coming out later this year...

TALES OF THE REALM #1 (OF 6) by Crossgen Comics

"Fantasy meets reality! What if the amazing elements of sword & sorcery were blended with the familiar hustle and bustle of modern life on Earth? Find out as we follow three actors as they fight to make it big in a slightly different Hollywood on the hit TV show “Tales of the Realm!” It’s the light-hearted adventure that dares to ask: is sharing a dressing room next to a sludge troll fun? And what’s the best dragon to ride to work?"

http://www.crossgen.com/members/common/coverart/images/TR1.jpg

Personally, I think this is fodder for an Urban Arcana campaign. Instead of stunt men in rubber masks, the monsters in a movie like Lord of the Rings are actually the real monsters. No CGI dragons, but real dragons. What if Star Wars used halflings to portray Ewoks and not "little people." The Personality and Glamourist advanced classes would really flourish here. You might even want to port over elements of the d20 mini-game Hijinx and include some musician classes.

Last edited:

Dismas

First Post
Katowice said:
This is one reason why I don't like posting over at "that other board":

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46134

My purpose in starting this thread was to open up for discussion a campaign idea for Urban Arcana. They call it "advertising," in spite of the fact that I constantly read references to third-party d20 system publishers....Babylon 5, Call of Cthulhu (except the core book), Paizo Publishing, Traveller....I could go on. Posters at that site refer to movies, comics, and other third party publications all the time without this kind of response. :confused:

Okay, end of rant. We now bring you back to regularly scheduled program. :D

My turn to rant

Except that those references are generally not in the d20 modern forums but in the d20 General. Movies and books are discussed, but not advertised (some might say that is a question of symantics), for example we might discuss the possability of creatures of the shadow working in film and reference the film Shadow of the Vampire. We would not however start posting links to Amazon.com where they can buy it. There was a lengthy discussion on this on the old boards see this thread http://archivedboards.wizards.com/community/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=291;t=003080

What you posted was a advert/press release rather than a real post.

Last edited:

jezter6

Explorer
Probably because this IS an advertisement?

Your post mentions a RELEASE DATE for some sort of book. The link you have there sends you to a page with a bunch of other books that are for sale.

How is this a 'campaign' idea thread? This is blatent advertising. This thread needs to be locked, and most likely your accounts should go bye bye as well.

To stimulate a conversation about UA, you should:

1) Ask a question
2) Make reference to something you don't understand in the book (UA)
3) Tell others how you are going to be using the book (UA)
4) Not try to spam off your stupid comic book on a bunch of message boards. Otherwise, people will just think you are lame.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Katowice said:
This is one reason why I don't like posting over at "that other board":

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46134

My purpose in starting this thread was to open up for discussion a campaign idea for Urban Arcana. They call it "advertising," in spite of the fact that I constantly read references to third-party d20 system publishers....Babylon 5, Call of Cthulhu (except the core book), Paizo Publishing, Traveller....I could go on. Posters at that site refer to movies, comics, and other third party publications all the time without this kind of response. :confused:

Okay, end of rant. We now bring you back to regularly scheduled program. :D

That's weird, I never thought WotC would become as Amigo* as that. Especially considering that they have given their ruleset away for others (which they didn't do out of charity: the more other stuff is bought, the more their own stuff is bought, for d20 stuff is based on the D&D core rules.

*Amigo: German distributors for D&D who often are less-than-friendly towards the community with their weird behavior.

Katowice

Explorer
Having read your link, I can see how my post might be construed as such. I've editted the original to make it a little more relevant to discussion of d20 Urban Arcana.

That said, I think this would make a great campaign idea.

Dismas said:

My turn to rant

Except that those references are generally not in the d20 modern forums but in the d20 General. Movies and books are discussed, but not advertised (some might say that is a question of symantics), for example we might discuss the possability of creatures of the shadow working in film and reference the film Shadow of the Vampire. We would not however start posting links to Amazon.com where they can buy it. There was a lengthy discussion on this on the old boards see this thread http://archivedboards.wizards.com/community/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=291;t=003080

What you posted was a advert/press release rather than a real post.

You know, there is rude and then there is just plain rude.

jezter6 said:
4) Not try to spam off your stupid comic book on a bunch of message boards. Otherwise, people will just think you are lame.

Last edited:

jezter6

Explorer
Now that the post has been properly edited, I think it's fine. but posting the SAME post (press release style) to multiple message boards where people are there to talk about the game, not advertise...that's rude...and a waste of bandwidth.

If you're not the writer of the book, then that's fine (although I would edit your post again to explicity deny that you're involved in it). But if you ARE the writer of the book, then spamming people with this kind of information is rude as well.

Again, now that the post looks a little better...i would have no problem with it. But in original form...it looked very much like spam. :)

Remove ads