Black Flag Tales of the Valiant Kobold Press Backer Playtest Packet #1, Druid, Ranger and Primordial Spells

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Ok, so it sounds like they're leaning even more into the "stay compatible with 2014 5e" vision, as that sounds nearly identical to the 2014 druid.
I've never played or even DMd one, so no idea really. But I don't get the feeling the class changes are all that interesting, in my skimming, no.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I've never played or even DMd one, so no idea really. But I don't get the feeling the class changes are all that interesting, in my skimming, no.
I'm not surprised. The whole point of TotV seemed to be "here's reskinned open source classic 5e so you can stop relying on untrustworthy WotC", and it definitely seems to be providing that. It just doesn't provide nearly as much discussion fodder as the playtest packet changes.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm not surprised. The whole point of TotV seemed to be "here's reskinned open source classic 5e so you can stop relying on untrustworthy WotC", and it definitely seems to be providing that. It just doesn't provide nearly as much discussion fodder as the playtest packet changes.
The monsters are MUCH more interesting than baseline DnD, though maybe (hahahahaha) WotC will also upgrade their monsters.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The monsters are MUCH more interesting than baseline DnD, though maybe (hahahahaha) WotC will also upgrade their monsters.
Yea, the nice thing about monsters is that "backwards compatibility" doesn't need to be much of a thing; just need to keep the general baseline of hit points and damage in rough alignment.

Marc Radle

Legend
ToV:
At 2nd level you can heal people, and it isn't a spell, so you can do so in wildshape form....You do NOT get a familiar/companion.

Wildshape: You can change into any beast you have seen. same restrictions on form and casting for the most part as the current packet. You take on the hit points of the beast you change into, so, yikes.

No wild resurgence or elemental fury

Potent forms is similar to the WotC class, but man, you do NOT get any of the benefits of combat wild shape. Much weaker in ToV. You do get to change shape as a bonus action, so that's really cool.

So, overall, from VERY EARLY READING, it looks a lot weaker than the WotC class, and not all that different otherwise, other than quick shift.
Ok, so it sounds like they're leaning even more into the "stay compatible with 2014 5e" vision, as that sounds nearly identical to the 2014 druid.

One of the main goals for Tales of the Valiant has ALWAYS been to remain compatible with 5E!

For some reason, some folks got the idea (or in some cases, just a personal wish) the ToV was going to move away from 5E, or be an entirely new RPG ... but those were never stated goals for Tales of the Valiant.

The point is to be able to play Tales of the Valiant and use any of your existing 5E material you want (Kobold Press 5E material, as well as other 5E)

Many people have compared what Tales of the Valiant will be to what Pathfinder was to D&D 3.5, and, while not a perfect analogy, it's a pretty good one :)

mamba

Legend
Any details on how conservative or aggressive KP is being with their class changes?
From what I have seen pretty conservative, unfortunately. I would have liked a more aggressive distinction / reimagining. WotC in its playtest seems to have been offering some more drastic changes, but unfortunately backtracked on them

I would expect a slight variation more than an overhaul.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
One of the main goals for Tales of the Valiant has ALWAYS been to remain compatible with 5E!

For some reason, some folks got the idea (or in some cases, just a personal wish) the ToV was going to move away from 5E, or be an entirely new RPG ... but those were never stated goals for Tales of the Valiant.

The point is to be able to play Tales of the Valiant and use any of your existing 5E material you want (Kobold Press 5E material, as well as other 5E)

Many people have compared what Tales of the Valiant will be to what Pathfinder was to D&D 3.5, and, while not a perfect analogy, it's a pretty good one :)
You can be compatible, and do more change. Even WotC is changing the Druid more than you are......

In no way, shape, or form, did I state that wasn't your goal. I've known that all along. Your monsters have interesting changes.....your classes less so IMO.

Marc Radle

Legend
The KS is over, so whatever buzz a playtest would create now is probably of limited use

Whoever wants to buy the books next April and did not back the KS (I imagine right now that is a rather small group of people), can still evaluate the books once they are released

Also keep in mind that there will be a very beefy, publicly available Alpha Release later this month, which will contain all of these playtests and more ...

Marc Radle

Legend
You can be compatible, and do more change. Even WotC is changing the Druid more than you are......

In no way, shape, or form, did I state that wasn't your goal. I've known that all along. Your monsters have interesting changes.....your classes less so IMO.
No worries, I wasn't addressing you specifically (I said " some folks")

Fair enough on the classes - everyone can (and WILL) have different opinions on them ... although I think as things continue to roll out, you just might change your mind on that :)

All good though either way!

Remove ads