Black Flag Tales of the Valiant Playtest Packet 4 from Kobold Press

Zaukrie

New Publisher
While I'd rather they remain distinct, I think there are ways they could be combined. LevelUp combines Tiefling and Aasimar into a single Planetouched ancestry fairly successfully. I don't think this works nearly as well.

The main sticking point for me is a distinct lack of a "one neat trick" that you get for choosing the gnome branch. Dwarves and Elves get darkvision, along with their distinctive traits.

In my feedback I suggested "Keen Sense of Smell", giving advantage on Perception, Investigation, and Survival checks involving scent. However, I'd be fine with anything that could be called out as a gnome's unique thing.
Pretty much my recommendation also.

Marc Radle

Legend
While I'd rather they remain distinct, I think there are ways they could be combined. LevelUp combines Tiefling and Aasimar into a single Planetouched ancestry fairly successfully. I don't think this works nearly as well.

The main sticking point for me is a distinct lack of a "one neat trick" that you get for choosing the gnome branch. Dwarves and Elves get darkvision, along with their distinctive traits.

In my feedback I suggested "Keen Sense of Smell", giving advantage on Perception, Investigation, and Survival checks involving scent. However, I'd be fine with anything that could be called out as a gnome's unique thing.
Providing comments and ideas via the feedback survey is absolutely the best way to go and very much appreciated!
The Kobolds read them all!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Gnomes and halflings being made less distinct by being merged into one ancestry is a pretty big hurdle for me to clear in order to really even considering this.

I mean I will probably be able to just use 2024 PHB Gnomes with a KP class, or whatever, so it isn’t a big deal.
I've always had them intermingled in my games, although it's more about halfling families and gnome families, versus whole cultures. Seeing an official embracing of the overlaps between the two has actually pushed me much more into the ToV column.

Remove ads