Tarag's Forge: Fine Weapons & Armor to save your life

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Hmmmm. I just left the red dragon inn where there is someone named Julien who said close to the same thing. He is ichin to get better skilled in both armor and weapons I thiink. You mentioned the other fellow. are you refering to Tarag or is there yet another here that may have the skills to work mitheral?"

By his expression it is easy to guess that Karl is really wanting to get the fine armor. He wont be easily detered.

Scott DeWar

"Well sir, do you have any chance at all in making the armor? or are your specialties in crafting weapons? I prefer that it be made with the stamp of Tarag's forge, in as far as a stamp being put on a chain chirt, that is."

Richard Rawen

First Post
[sblock=OOPS! ]Hey, I Finally noticed the next page was there... I'd been loading the bookmark, hitting CTRL-END and, seeing my post last, moving on :( Anyways, back to the 'action'.[/sblock]Richard listens carefully, then understands the confusion. "Tarag runs this forge, I am minding it for him in his absence. I have not worked with Mithral before, and I've spent most of my crafting experience working on weapons. Also, if you want Tarag's stamp on Mithral craftsmanship, I'd say you need to wait for his return..."
You can see the disappointment writ on Richards boyish features, but also resolve not to get in over his head.

Scott DeWar

**SIIIGGGHHH**

"I have seen things that could use better armor then what i have , but I will just have to do as you just said, wait for Tarag. You are reasonable sure he can work mithral? I have heard good things of his reputation. I Guess I can leave word for him to be aware of my desires to have this armor made.Can you do that for me please?

I guess I could use some better weapons as well. perhaps a master work rapier and master work dagger? You said you can work weapons, right? I can do the grunt work and operate that thingy over there"

Karl points to the bellows as he makes the nomenclature of 'thingy'.

[sblock=ooc] is ok. no harm, no fowl since you were not chickining out.[/sblock]

Richard Rawen

First Post
"You are reasonable sure he can work mithral? I have heard good things of his reputation. I Guess I can leave word for him to be aware of my desires to have this armor made.Can you do that for me please?"
"Certainly."
I guess I could use some better weapons as well. perhaps a master work rapier and master work dagger? You said you can work weapons, right? I can do the grunt work and operate that thingy over there"

Karl points to the bellows as he makes the nomenclature of 'thingy'.
Richard's gaze follows Karl's indication and he smiles as he replies. "I would be glad to help you with a normal weapon, however I simply do not have the skill to work to a Master's level. Tarag should be returning soon and I am sure will be able to fill your order in no time at all... again, I apologize that my skills are not up to your needs." Richard looks slightly embarassed, yet resolute... he is well aware of his fledgling status as a weaponsmith and has no intention of causing any smudge on his mentor's name.

[sblock=OOC]Here's background, as well as some numbers to crunch, using Tarag's player's words:
"
Since Richard only has one rank in Craft (Weaponsmithing), I think it would be a good idea for him to avoid being too ambitious. With his bonus in Int, he gets a +2 on Craft (Weaponsmith) checks - not a lot. I think it's about time the business purchased some MW artisans tools, if it hasn't already. That'll give another +2, for a total of +4. If you can get the customer to give you a successful Aid Another, that's +6, and it's starting to look a bit healthier.

Still, keep in mind that Tarag is very jealous of his reputation, and stories of inferior work coming from his Forge will send him through the roof!
"
Thus, even with a successful (not guaranteed) Aid Another check, the DC of 20 for masterwork is hardly a sure bet with a paltry +6 to the dice...
Hopefully Tarag will be back along soonly.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

OOC: Ta4rag! Leave those secret tunnels alone now and git home!AARRRGGGHH!

IC: *sigh* "Today is just a bust. i will be at THE INN when he comes home. Let me know when he is here will you sir? He will probably be at THE INN when he arrives, so I will keep an eye out for him as well."

Karl retuns to the Inn

Last edited:

Richard Rawen

First Post
Richard putters about in the forge for a bit, nods to the boy who stays to keep the coals, then heads back to the RDI, the business day is done.

So goes the week, back and forth from Inn to forge, the fighter-smith settles into a routine.

Richard Rawen

First Post
Richard stands outside the forge breathing in the cool evening air.
It smells of a storm, a welcome smell to the memories of the tall human.

Returning to the forge, Richard finishes cleaning and setting things in order for the day. He nods in parting to the stoker, walking to the RDI at a solid pace, the taste of a stout and hardroll sandwhich already watering his mouth.

Richard Rawen

First Post
Richard continues the daily grind... which often includes simply grinding and sharpening tools and some weapons for the watch and the odd adventurer.

Though the daily work continues it strikes the fighter turned smithy that the city around him has gone strangely silent... even his evenings in the RDI are spent more and more quietly...

Richard Rawen

First Post
The young smith enters in a flurry, grabbing up some recent work he carefully inspects it and smiles at the apprentice that has done so well.
Handing the lad a gold from his pouch, Richard's face turns serious.

"I'm leaving for two weeks. The forge will be closed for that time, except for standing orders of basic equipment, such as for the watch or wain-wrights." Placing another five gold into the hands of the apprentice, "This should be enough to cover any expenses beyond what is in the till, and this," the fighter adds another four gold to his hand, "Is for your trouble, should I not return. The instructions on contacting Tarag are with the books, send a messenger if I've not contacted you in three weeks.
May you be content to make these blades someday boy, swinging'em has no guarantees."

With that Richard returns to the RDI to plan, gather his gear and prepare for the adventure that awaits.

Remove ads