Targeted Dispel Magic, does it affect carried items?

Corran

Explorer
Reading Dispel Magic (quoted below) I have to say I'm unsure if the targeted version dispels the magic weapon spell on the sword carried by the fighter who is the target of a dispel magic spell. I looked in the SRD to find anything about attended objects, but I can't find it.

What made me look for this is a line in the Otiluke’s Dispelling Screen (Complete Arcane, page 116) write up that basically says that it doesn't affect attended objects where as targeted dispel magic does.

Anyone know the answer to this quandry?

From the SRD:
You can use dispel magic to end ongoing spells that have been cast on a creature or object, to temporarily suppress the magical abilities of a magic item, to end ongoing spells (or at least their effects) within an area, or to counter another spellcaster’s spell. A dispelled spell ends as if its duration had expired. Some spells, as detailed in their descriptions, can’t be defeated by dispel magic. Dispel magic can dispel (but not counter) spell-like effects just as it does spells.

Note: The effect of a spell with an instantaneous duration can’t be dispelled, because the magical effect is already over before the dispel magic can take effect.

You choose to use dispel magic in one of three ways: a targeted dispel, an area dispel, or a counterspell:

Targeted Dispel: One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell. You make a dispel check (1d20 + your caster level, maximum +10) against the spell or against each ongoing spell currently in effect on the object or creature. The DC for this dispel check is 11 + the spell’s caster level. If you succeed on a particular check, that spell is dispelled; if you fail, that spell remains in effect.

If you target an object or creature that is the effect of an ongoing spell (such as a monster summoned by monster summoning), you make a dispel check to end the spell that conjured the object or creature.

If the object that you target is a magic item, you make a dispel check against the item’s caster level. If you succeed, all the item’s magical properties are suppressed for 1d4 rounds, after which the item recovers on its own. A suppressed item becomes nonmagical for the duration of the effect. An interdimensional interface (such as a bag of holding) is temporarily closed. A magic item’s physical properties are unchanged: A suppressed magic sword is still a sword (a masterwork sword, in fact). Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this.

You automatically succeed on your dispel check against any spell that you cast yourself.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
I don't think so. You can only choose one target, either the object or the creature.

I guess the screen just does not target attended objects individually, altho they are individual targets, and thus they are safe.

Bye
Thanee

Nail

First Post
......which brings up an interesting point:

If you'd like to Dispel something currently active on a creature, you have 2 options: Area dispel and Targeted Dispel (on the creature). It's true that the area dispel may not actually get the spell of interest.

If you'd like to Dispel something currently active on an item the creature is holding, you have only one option: Targeted dispel.

Huh.

Nail If you'd like to [i said:
Dispel[/i] something currently active on an item the creature is holding, you have only one option: Targeted dispel.

No, you still have two options...

SRD said:
Area Dispel: When dispel magic is used in this way, the spell affects everything within a 20-foot radius.
For each object within the area that is the target of one or more spells, you make dispel checks as with creatures. Magic items are not affected by an area dispel.

Infiniti2000

First Post
NailIf you'd like to [i said:
Dispel[/i] something currently active on an item the creature is holding, you have only one option: Targeted dispel.
This part is debatable and as such I disagree. For example, I do not consider a non-magical sword with align weapon on it a "magic item." It is instead an object that is the target of one or more spells. Per the area dispel rule: "For each object within the area that is the target of one or more spells, you make dispel checks as with creatures. Magic items are not affected by an area dispel." If an object with a spell on it is always a magic item, then the above line from dispel magic is meaningless.

The way this becomes more debatable is magic weapon, wherein the +1 enhancement bonus could be read such that the weapon is a magical item; despite the obvious illogical conflict.

Corsair

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
No, you still have two options...

What Patryn said. An area dispell won't turn off the barbarians winged boots, but it does have a chance to knock out the Greater Magic Weapon cast on his axe.

Patlin

Explorer
My cleric, not having access to disjunction, was fond of using chain spell with greater dispelling as a 9th level spell. Not too much use against a monster, but one time we had a player go crazy and attack us (for reasons harder to fix than a simple spell or posession) and I was able to bring this to bear. I targetted the player as well as pretty much every magic item he was using.

Most magic items are pretty easy to suppress when you're level 20+.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Corsair said:
What Patryn said. An area dispell won't turn off the barbarians winged boots, but it does have a chance to knock out the Greater Magic Weapon cast on his axe.

However, a Targeted Dispel on the barbarian won't get the GMW on his axe, or the Magic Vestment on his loincloth.

-Hyp.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
However, a Targeted Dispel on the barbarian won't get the GMW on his axe, or the Magic Vestment on his loincloth.
Keep in mind that magic vestment is a Touch spell. I'm not casting it for him. :lol:

Remove ads