Tariff's Shackled City

Greyhawk

First Post
Into the darkness

"Follow me" Reinhardt tells the others "Nice and slow - and with luck we'll all get out of this alive."

Grral follows the fighter through the door

After what seems like ages..Keygan responds "I have no idea why they are kidnapping the children. I also have no idea if they used that secret door to transport the children. I used to visit the enclave in my youth, the doors there are gear-shaped. According to my father many of them bore traps that only gnomes could safely bypass, he also mentioned secret passages, but I never saw any. I gave one of the tall -ones three different-sized skeleton keys, they fit a lot of the town locks. One of the tall ones carries them on a silver ring." Keygan begins sobbing... "IM SOOOOO SORRY...PLEASE FORGIVE ME" He wipes his eyes "Please, I do not wish to go down there, if you see Starbrow, my rat, please bring him back. I can sense he is located in a dark place.. he is hungry and afraid"

Reinhardt, his shield glowing with the light spell, enters the secret door. Grral follows closely behind... Col, the talkative halfling follows next..

A stone staircase, its steps shrouded with cobwebs and dust, descends. It bends round to the right and plunges into darkness.

"How the hell did I get here" Col asks himself from his position just behind the two party scouts "I'd better try and make myself less vulnerable" and casts a protective spell on himself. Then he slings his quarterstaff and then takes out his crossbow and loads it...

"Hmm, I seem to remember something of this place, indeed there are supposed to be many traps there." says Talwin from the top of the stairs "The disease was called the Vanishing, causing the residents to fade away into nothingness. Maybe I should check some of the doors we find, I may be the safest with these traps"

"Sounds like the locksmith would be useful down here then" thinks Col "I hope the others remember to make sure he is 'safe' before they follow". "Come on down friend Talwin" calls Col in a low whisper "Your help would be appreciated but no doors in sight - yet! Don't forget to pick up the cross-bow and rapier"

Talwin responds by following the others down the stairs with Giacomo while Silas follows the others bringing up the rear

Col looks around him and shudders at the spiders, he takes a step forward to avoid the sticky strands of a large web. Then he calls to Strawberry to join him, he feels he needs the company here in the dark.

Before entering the passage down to the enclave, Mercy turns to Ghelve. "Mr Ghelve. What's done is done. If you are truly sorry, then you can take a big step along the road of penance by visiting the church of St Cuthbert, where you will find a wise elder known as Jenya. Go immediately and tell her two things. Firstly that we have passed into the Undercity through a passage under your stairs, and secondly, repeat your tale of the tall ones and small ones, and how they have forced you to give them skeleton keys to many locks in the city. And if you have some time to yourself, you may consider warning those who are now vulnerable, so that they can replace their locks at the earliest opportunity. And Mr Ghelve, look to the future and how you can help, rather than the past and how you have laid others open to attack".

Keygan nods at Mercy "I will do what you ask"

Mercy hefts her sword and turns to follow the party into the passageway.

As the party descend into the darkness, Col is unnaturally quiet and doesn't even seem to want to talk, he looks very nervous.

Reinhardt takes a peek around the first corner on the stairs down

Sorendal looks at Eddy on his shoulder.. Eddy stares blankly back.. "Sshall we be off then bud ? " he asks as he steps into the passageway. He examines the stairway as he descends... where would you put a secret door then he wonders, while Eddy shakes his head and stares at Sorendal with one open eye.

Sorendal responds to his familiar's unspoken question "Dah.. ya I know its a ssecret you smartarsse... juss help look for one will ya.." he whispers to his sarcastic assistant

Col reaches into an inside pocket and takes out the slice of bread that he saved from breakfast. He tears it in half and carefully replaces one piece whilst he munches on the first, - he find this helps him think. Now, he says to himself, if the locksmith had a familiar then he's either a wizard or a sorcerer and with his charisma sorcery is out so he must be a wizard like Sorendal and me. If he's a wizard he'll have a spell book and maybe, maybe, he could be persuaded to share them with us. He smiles to himself, smugly satisfied with his logic – and the half-slice of bread.

Talwin watches hungrily as Col eats his bread wishing he had some food right now then he moves forward and peers around the corner past Reinhardt

"Hurry up" thinks Col "If you look round the second corner you should be able to see into the room shown on the map. If we go on too slowly, we'll never be back in time for lunch"

"Someone brave go look down there" suggests Talwin "Braver than me anyway"

Reinhardt smiles, fronts shield and takes a peek around the second corner

The staircase descends another 30ft before opening into a room. From this landing you can hear strange sounds emanating from the chamber below, specifically chirping birds, rustling leaves, and cheery giggles. The landing itself is bare save for an empty iron torch sconce mounted on the south wall.

Col moves forward, so that he can see Reinhardt, but also so he can scamper back up the steps and out if necessary

Mercy moves past the two small chaps, and stands behind Reinhardt, listening to the sounds coming from around the corner. She breathes into Reinhardt's ear "Do you think it be sprites or fairies?"

"Hmm" he murmers back "Can't say as I care - but they'd better be friendly, for their sakes!". "Anyone want to try the empty sconce?£ he whispers "Might be another secret door handle?" Then he slowly advances down the stairs in a crouch designed to make the best of his small shield

Silas moves up to Mercy "The sounds are kind of interesting wouldn't you say?"

Col again advances, curiosity overcoming his caution, perhaps there really are birds flying around down here? "What can you see?" his whispers to Mercy

The staircase ends at a forty-foot-square room with a ten-foot-high ceiling. A slight draft blows into the room from a ten-foot-wide open passage in the far wall, directly across from the stairs. Two four foot diameter circular doors are set in the middle of the south wall. Each door is made of wood and framed with a ring of mortared stones. The westernmost door is closed and inscribed with a strange glyph. The easternmost door bears a different glyph but rests half open. The half-open door reveals an iron rim of gear-like teeth, and dim light spills from the chamber beyond. Mounted to the walls of the room are twelve tarnished copper masks. The masks are two feet tall and cling four feet above the floor. Each one depicts a smiling gnome's visage. The soft giggling, chirping, and rustling noises seem to pour from the very walls.

Reinhardt narrows his eyes, trying to determine any threat as he moves into the room

Talwin follows and starts to look around but seems distracted by the rumbling in his belly

Like a startled rabbit, Col creeps down the stairs, reluctantly he offers the remaining half-slice of bread to Talwin, then scampers back up to the landing. He contemplates pulling the torch sconce but finds that it is just too high. He looks up the stairs wondering why the others are hesitating to come down, do they know something he doesn't? The gnomish giggling is beginning to get on his nerves

"Why thank you Col, how did you know I was hungry?" says Talwin giggles pleased and crams the bread into his mouth.

Eddy wonders why the staircase is covered in dust and cobwebs if these skulks are supposed to be using it, he looks quizzically at Sorendal. "Good point bro.. " Sorendal admits states out of nowhere, to apparently no one in particular as he checks the walls carefully from the stairwell to the bottom. "How can thiss be the main route to the ssurface if it is covered in dusst... and a breeze, that means they must usse another exit mosst of the time" he ponders. He finds nothing from his search.

Silas moves into the room cautiously his eyes scanning the room and decides it would be prudent to stay hidden for the moment

Col steels his quaking nerves and moves forward into the room behind Reinhardt attempting to find a place in shadow to kneel with his crossbow and cover Reinhardt's move forward in case the brace fighter is attacked. "C'mon the rest of you" he mutters to himself "Give Reinhardt some backup"

Grral having apparently dozed off in the cool darkness of the passage awakes with a start and heads down after the others, eager not to miss any fun. Grral stares quizzically at the masks, somewhat perturbed by the noises that appear to be emanating from them and attempts to remove one of the masks from the wall, but despite his strength the mask remains solidly stuck to the wall!!

Meanwhile Reinhardt moves through the large room to the half open door. He notices that both the cog doors have symbols burnt into them (see map). He peers into the room beyond the half open door. A dozen small cots and chests line the walls of this ten-foot-high dusty room. Cobwebs blanket many of the cots and chests, and tiny spiders scurry about. Two rough-hewn tunnels, each five feet in diameter and tubular, breach the eastern and southern walls. Stone rubble covers the floor near the tunnels. A one-foot-long iron rod lies in the middle of the floor, its golden tip shedding enough light t cast lurid shadows on the walls.

Giacomo stands motionless in the stairway... doing and saying nothing..

Col inches forward intrigued as to what the room may hold, he is still very nervous and grips his cross-bow tightly, all the while looking towards the room to the South.

The sounds of chirping birds, rustling leaves and cheery laughter continue..

Softly, as if he's afraid to make too much noise Col whispers back to Talwin "Are these Gnomish runes that mark the doors? And if so what do they mean?"

"If only I'd borrowed Keygan's stilts, maybe I could have had a play with the empty torch sconce on the landing as Reinhardt suggested" the halfling thinks to himself while he waits for Talwin's reply.

Mercy moves to the corner of the stairs and grabs hold of the sconce. Where tries to pull it down, across, up. As Mercy pulls the torch the landing which she is standing on suddenly tilts!!.. She is thrown down the stairs and she collapses in a heap at the bottom having taken Col almost jumps out of his skin at the crash and injury to Mercy... "Ouch" she exclaims politely.

"I can't say I like the gnomes sense of humour" he thinks to himself "I'm sorry Mercy, are you OK?" he says out loud

The gnomish laughing seems to taunt mercy..

Mercy climbs to her feet slowly. "I guess we can stop creeping around now." She looks across at Grral and Reinhardt. "Watch out!" she gasps. "Beware the doors with teeth! That's what Jenya's riddle said. I'm alright, thanks Col. That'll teach me to be a bit more cautious in future".

"I think these cogs would be the doors with teeth but agree , I have no idea which way we should go from here"

"Unless I'm mistaken" thinks Col "I could get to develop quite a dislike for the gnome architects of the place by the time we've finished exploring"

Mercy limps across to join Reinhardt. She peers past him into the adjoining room, raking care to keep away form the toothed doors. "Mmmmm" she ponders. "Not sure I like the look of those cobwebs." She takes a step back and looks at the two cogs. "According to Ghelve's map, there's a second room behind the cog on the right. How do you think we open it?"

Sorendal wanders into the room and briefly looks at the scenery. He notices the runes on the door and strolls over to examine them. After a time his faces lights up the symbols are gnomish letters..the western one a "J", the eastern a "A". he decides.

"If the floor movess when you pull a light on the wall... Then what will the doors do if we trigger a trap?" he ponders out loud. "Mercy, that trap hass hurt you a lot... you sshould have a word with Giac " the wizard suggests

"Well when he comes down the stairs I'll ask him to take a look, but I don't really want him to lay his hands on me....He seems to try doing that too often" she replies

Sorendal chuckles.." I thought it wass Paladins that laid on hands ? .. I think he needss some bromide from the apothecary, and maybe a cold bath... can't fault his determination though"

Talwin glances at the runes and concurs with the wizard.

"Sso, 'A' or 'J' ... any ideas? " Sorendal asks his companions... "

"No idea" says Mercy shrugging her shoulders

".. And that ssunrod on the floor has been lit within the last ssix hours" the wizard continues to talk to himself "It didn't look like the thing upstairss needed any light... Hmmm" questions, questions, questions he thinks. "Don't it look like a bit like we are expected.. Door open, light on.. or maybe the kidss have been drivin 'em mad, screaming about the dark.." he smiles

"Maybe" Mercy's eyes widen "They're all hiding behind this closed door"

Sorendal shrugs "Or maybe they're out" he suggests, trying to reassure his friend with a smile

"Beware" says Col "These creatures can blend in with their background, they may be watching us even now! I say go through the open door and keep on guard for traps" he looks around fearfully - "Talwin - Can you sense any traps around?" he asks the gnomish rogue

Sorendal spins 360 degree's on the ball of his left foot, stops with a click of his feet and points to both doors..." Left or right...left or right... who's gonna choose? Col says left.. What about you Reinhardt? Any preference? .. Though checkin' the door on da right gets my vote.." he soft shoes shuffles to the left and right, pointing at the doors, hoping someone will make his mind up for him.

Eddy shrugs, or at least does what a lizard does when it shrugs..

"I think the whole bloody place is trapped" says Col gloomily "Every time we open a door or pull a lever - zap - Well that's what I think, Gnomes!" and he glares at Talwin

"Personally, I think we should pay heed to Jenya's message, beware of these doors," says Mercy "And instead proceed down the corridor over there. The map shows that there are many more rooms to explore that way. Although it didn't show any further steps down. So perhaps past these cogs is the right way...." Her voice trails off as she scrutinises the map again

"I like the corridor choice too Mercy, but the riddle said beware not avoid the doors, maybe we need to negotiate them successfully?... what, the routess off the left room aren't on the map... is that this years map? " he looks over Mercy's shoulder at the map, making sure not to invade her personal space. "Hmmm.." he looks back into the room at the rubble on the floor ahead of him. "Reinhardt, can you see any rubble to the east?"

"I think that the open door indicates that the naked ones come from this direction" says Col pointing at the open door "If we go on we leave them at our backs and maybe blocking our safe retreat to the surface. Let's proceed very carefully, caution will be our watchword" he concludes rather pompously.

"There are too many questions, but no answers to be found where we stand - lets press on, then." states Reinhardt and sneaks south, and takes a look to the east as he goes

Col looks around trying to sense the direction of the danger he feels threatens the party

Greyhawk

First Post
More Skul-Dug-er-Ee

Reinhardt moves into the room, out of the shadows appear two Skulks!...

Grral suddenly alert to the sounds around him as Reinhardt passes through the doorway calls out to the fighter in his deep rumbling drawl "more Skul-Dug-er-Ee?"

Col nods "It sounds very much like it, Grral" the halfling admits

Giacomo breaks out of his reverie and heads downstairs. Subconsciously he notices that Mercy needs his healing touch. "That's a nasty twisted ankle dear mercy. Lets me sooth it better for you." he calls out "You know it's awful dirty down here. " He mentions the cleric as he realises he is perhaps needed with the party.

"Oh no not more fighting" says Talwin the gnome trembling

"Surrender," yells Reinhardt at the two Skulks "You have a hopeless case and things will go very hard with you if I lose my temper."

Col's hands shake as he waits for the opportunity to take action

Sorendal takes a step to one side to get a clear shot at the skulk through the door, takes his bow from from his shoulder and takes his first shot at a 'live' target.... "Dammit" he exclaims as his arrow embeds itself harmlessly into the chest in front of the skulk..

Eddy slumps down on his masters shoulder clearly disappointed that he missed ...

The wizard grits his teeth .."Yessss, I know itss bigger than a rabbit... Rabbitssss don't have swordsss do they....practisse makesss perfect, asss father would ssay"

Grral again draws forth his greatsword and advances through the door and Reinhardt hums "Swing low, sweet chariot" to encourage Grral

Grral faces up to the creature leans forward and roars "Yaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhwwwwwwwwaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr!!!!" before swinging his greatsword round in a broad arc felling the beast with one stroke. "Raaarrrr Skul-Dug-er-Ee no match for mighty Grral... ur turn now little friend Col.. one left for you!"

Talwin watches the corridor to the West, his crossbow readied..

Silas moves forward to join grral

"Thanks Grral" calls Col from the main room, his voice shakes slightly "I'll come and do my very best!"

As the combat starts, Mercy watches her colleagues run past the toothed cog into the small room. She hefts her sword, ready to run into the 'fray when a gap arises. Hearing the wobble in Col's voice, she calls out "Grral, you carry on with the Skulk-dugaree, we need Col to stay out here and watch for any ambushes!"

The remaining skulk seems to have no stomach for the fight and flees through the southern tunnel...

"No" says Col firmly "I'm going in to help in the battle with the kid-nappers. Even if I'm a bit worried about it. Face to face combat really isn't my strength" he admits

Col rushes forward and into the dark Southern passage, his finger tightens on the crossbow trigger but he can see no target... He waits, trembling in the dark "Funny I can't see the skulk" thinks Col "They must be able to move quite fast or" he shudders "He's hidden himself. We've got them on the run, perhaps we'll catch up with it before it can move (or kill) the poor orphans" thinks Col to himself as he gazes into the darkness

Reinhardt runs blindly after the beast, pulling up short after Col and readies his attack

"Thanks, Reinhardt" murmurs Col as he scans the passage from left to right, seeing if any things of interest are in his line of sight aided by the extra illumination provided by Reinhardt

Reinhardt spots the creature ..it is running west down the hewn tunnel.. "Cowardly scum. By the look of it it won't stop running before the end of the month." he says to the halfling

"It's when it comes running back" warns Silas "And what it has with it we should worry about"

"Is it safe in there? shall I follow now?" says Talwin in a rather high pitched voice

Col looks back at Grral "I'm on the case and after him Grral, but he has longer legs than mine!" he calls out softly

Sorendal stands waiting, delaying his action until after Grral has made his move... His rather fetching attire suddenly feeling a little too flimsy. He decides that charging down the corridor, bow in hand and jacket flapping in the breeze is best done behind one of his warrior buddies...

While he is coming down the stairs Giacomo hears something behind him. He spins round and just makes out the form of another Skulk following him. "I say chaps. There's another one of those things coming in behind us. Do you want me to try and hold it at the entrance to the tunnel? Or in the room?" he asks in an off-hand manner.

Mercy spins around "I'd just try and hit it if I were you, Giacomo. I'll be right with you. And don't lean on any sconces while you're on that landing!"

Mercy looks around and seeing Talwin standing with his crossbow loaded. "Now's your chance Talwin, see if you can get up the stairs and help Giacomo. I think you might get there before I can. Where are all these skulks coming from?" she asks "Is there another way down, or was it hiding in the gnome's house, or did we just not see it as we came down the stairs?"

Silas shrugs "Who knows? Maybe the locksmith was not so straight with us, and we did not really make a very good search of his building" Silas pauses in thought "Else they could have some hide ability, we know very little of these creatures... Well I know nothing about them personally apart from they fall down when struck with a hard blow from our good friend here" Silas says flashing a grin at Grral

Reinhardt permits himself a smile to himself as he listens to their conversation. "Hmm, Divide and ...? Perhaps they're not so daft after all."

Col sighs, it looks like the skulk in front may get away now, due to the confusion at the rear. "There are four of them" he thinks "That should be enough..."

" I don't know much about thiss sort of thing... But Reinhardt iss right, we sshould not be ssplitting up. Thatss a gimmie..." Serendal exclaims. " In my opinion... We sshould let the runner go and kill the turd that is bothering Giac, then we form up into that tight formation again and move ass one... " he pauses for a moment, "We are moving as individualss... All good teamss have a captain who weighs up the optionss, calls the shots... Ssomeone who can listen and make decissions, get the team to act ass one... Though more than one of us could do the job well, myself not included!, .. My vote is for Mercy,.. sso far she hass shown natural leadership and hass demonstrated fine diplomatic skills. " he looks at Mercy " but first we gotta go help Giac..."

After a pause he continues "Silas, do ya reckon Keygan hass actually gone to hand himself in? .. If I was him I would be running for the town gates right now with a bag under each arm.. Then again if I was him I wouldn't 'ave helped these sscum steal children "

Col is reluctant to let the 'runner' get away but replies to Sorendal. "There are four of you to deal with the one that is fleeing from the city. Is that not enough?" he pauses and thinks "But I do agree that Mercy would make a good leader, even if she can't see in the dark, she does seem to have her wits about her" he ends with a smile and then adds to himself - "It's a pity she is so exceptionally tall and her curiosity, which is a good halfling trait needs, to be kept in check when there are levers to pull …".

The barbarian has been listening and speaks "Grral go fetch Skul-Dug-er-Eee for friend Col if his little legs not keep up with it" roars Grral as he goes charging off down the corridor

Col gives a cheer as the brave barbarian passes on his way to fetch the skulk, then his face pales as he realises that Grral might actually carry it back to him

" I agree that Mercy should be leader. I'd follow her anywhere. As long as she wiggles."

"I totally agree that we should not split up but that would seem a bit irrelevant now" says Silas nodding "I am also happy to follow Mercy's lead should she be inspired to take it. Though not for the same reasons"

Talwin is not impressed by the suggestion that he should head up the stairs to confront the skulk and whimpers.

At this point Sorendal runs to help Giacomo

With tow party memebers between himself and the skulk Talwin feels more confident and steps sideways to get a clear view down the corridor and readies his crossbow in case the monster trounds the corner

"As I said before, I would be very happy if Mercy would agree to be our leader" says Col, sounding a bit more confident with two strong fighters between himself and the skulk, "As regards to following someone, well a good swing of the hips, is my preference. Be it man or woman, it means that a chap of my height gets the occasional glimpse of what's in front! By the way Grral, can you see anything down to your left?" The Halfling calls Strawberry to him and whispers to the weasel, explaining the concept of keeping watch for other monsters and squeaking if any are observed

"I've never followed anyone who didn't pay me." grumbles Reinhardt

Col laughs "Really Reinhardt? Then you'd better get moving - I think that Grral is in the lead at the moment, two kills and a head start on the third!"

Reinhardt frowns at Col"Are you trying to bait me, little one? Battle is a long game. A high score at the start does not benefit a corpse. I plan to be around for the finish. Speaking of which, It's time to make a finish of these kidnapping things and their dark little game..."Glances down at Col pointedly" Whatever it may turn out to be."

"Bait you?" protests Col "No not me! I'm just pretty nervous and just spouting off. We are deep underground with monsters in front and behind, I'm much more worried about the safety of my little skin than what I'm actually saying..."

Grral glances left at Col's prompt as he pursues the creature down the corridor. He sees a tunnel leading off to his left (south), it looks like it opens into a larger area... he thinks he spots flickering lights..

On the stairs Giacomo looks round "Thanks for the back-up Sorendal. Between the two of us we should be able to give this one a good pasting."

" My pleassure Giac, letss finish him off and get back to the resst of the group " replies the wizard

Silas looks around dismayed at the party splitting "Grral don't go to far and don't bring it back please" he shouts as he runs back to help the guys on the stairs

Col tries to calm his nerves by thinking about nice things - these are mainly food-related...

Talwin stand nervously holding his trusty crossbow, a small damp patch appearing on the front of his trousers

The skulk moves down the stairs, striking at Giacomo with its rapier. Giacomo is only slightly grazed by the attack.

Mercy sees Sorendal and Silas run to the defence of Giacomo. Believing that they will, with Talwin's help, hold the skulk on the stairs, she makes a snap decision and heads through the toothed door in the direction of the other fighters. She runs to catch up with Grral.

"Talwin" she calls as she passes him "Hold fast and defend this room. You're doing a great job" Spotting his little accident, she wonders how to build his confidence. A frightened rogue isn't going to be much use for scouting and checking for traps as they descend underground towards the kidnappers.

"Good to see you Mercy" says Col as the female fighter rushes past him "But I think its all under control" he adds to her back as she continues down the corridor towards the skulk.

The skulk Grral and Mercy are chasing, disappears around a corner..

Meanwhile on the stairway Giacomo turns to face his enemy. Hefting the mace in his hand, he swings and deals the skulk a hefty blow. "Take that you hideous fiend. No. Really. I mean it. You really are!"

The creature staggers from Giacomo's blow - but still it lives..

Col takes a number of deep breaths, grits his teeth and moves forward along the North wall of the corridor attempting to take advantage of the shadows… He stands alone and shivering in the shadows in front of the rest of the party, hoping that his friends come very soon, and regretting his bravado as he spots the skulk up ahead in a room.... Col looks back and beckons to the others, he hopes that that the gesture looks like a confident leader suggesting his men move forward rather than the reality of a frightened Halfling shivering in the dark and hoping that the burly fighters move between himself and the enemy.

Reinhardt moves fast, swiftly passing the pespiring Halfling tanking it down the corridor and enters the room

"Good man!" says Col in a very relieved voice.

Reinhardt looks about him dead rats, burnt tinder-twigs, and bits of broken stone litter the floor of this room whose only furnishings include a cot against the wall and a wooden chest bearing a dented lantern. The lantern is lit, but barely enough light escapes through its shutters to illuminate the room. Across from the round door in the west wall, a five-foot-diameter tunnel carves its way east into the darkness.

The skulk is in the corner of the room, in front of a cog door. It hisses at Reinhardt..

But Grral is not to be left in the rear, his barbarian's cry "Yaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhwwwwwwwwaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr!!!!" echoes as he rushes on down the corridor to the waiting creature. His great-sword whirls in his hand and the skulk falls to the floor in a heap. "Grral slow it down for you friend Col, come see..." rumbles the hulking man as his sword bites deep.

The barbarian prods the limp form of the dying creature and frowns "Grral maybe slow it down a little too much. Sorry friend Col, but look, 'nother Skul-Dug-er-Eee here now" says Grral brightening to a grin once more as suddenly, from out of the shadows appears another Skulk. Both Reinhardt and Grral fail to see it in time, it leaps at Reinhardt and strikes with its rapier – but misses.

"Wow!" says Col in admiration and relief "Three hits and three dead skulks – No Skul-Dug-er-Eee can stand in the way of Grral!!"

Meanwhile at the rear Sorendal points at the creature and mumbles a few arcane words... a rather small blob of acid shoots forward towards its target, the damage is slight but enough to render the skulk attacking Giacomo unconscious.

Grral prods the limp form of the dying creature in front of him and frowns "Grral maybe slow it down a little too much. Sorry friend Col, but look, nother Skul-Dug-er-Eee here now" says Grral brightening to a grin once more

"Wow!" says Col in admiration and relief "Three hits and three dead skulks – No Skul-Dug-er-Eee can stand in the way of Grral!!"

Talwin follows the others south but stops facing the eastern corridor and watches that way his crossbow at the ready

"Well, at least I get to try my skill with this one" Reinhardt tells Grral sizing up the one remaining skulk.

"It has to reckon with me first" says Col in a slightly weak voice from behind Reinhardt

"Hey Giac... you were right , lets go catch the otherss up before they loose uss..." Sorendal tells the cleric "Iss it me, or does anyone elsse find naked blue bogeyed midgetss trying to sstick their bent sswords up ya butt just..." he pauses struggling for the words ".. bang out of feckin' order !!...... if you'd pardon my dwarvissh"

Silas moves up and takes a swing at the disabled skulk near Giacomo, but misses rather badly "Let's run before he gets up guys" Silas says abashed at his bad swing

"It occurs to me that these creatures have been digging tunnels as the they could not work the doors" Tawlin suggests after some thought

"Interesting thoughts Talwin..." COMMENTS Sorendal "I wonder how many tunnelss they have dug under thiss town ?? " he replies to his nervous friend "...It would suggesst there could well be more than one one way in and out of here too... "

"They managed to get one door open" says Col "But maybe they found that they had deadly traps on them? Is that the kind of thing a gnome would do?" he asks Talwin

The skulk near Grral is not prepared to go quietly and stabs at Reinhardt with its rapier..

"Bloody hells!" quips the fighter "Let's see if you can take some damage, since I can sees you can dish it out." and he grins at the Sulk

Col gives a low whistle to Strawberry to attract his attention and then beckons the weasel indicating that he should return to Col's side when able.

Giacomo swings his heavy mace and finishes off the badly wounded skulk in front of him.

Col moves nervously forward passing Mercy and Reinhardt until he stands at Grral's left hand, then he carefully aims his crossbow, tries to stop his hands shacking, and then lets the bolt fly at the skulk. "Submit!" he shouts at the hideous beast "Your fellows are dead and you will be next unless you tell us where the children are to be found. Answer quickly; you can see that you are outmatched and that my friends seek revenge for your heinous actions."

The bolt strikes home but the beast is only lightly wounded by it.

Grral holds his great sword in one hand and beats on his chest with his freehand as Col's bolt strikes its target "Raaaawwwwwrrr" growls the barbarian "Well struck friend Col"

"Thank you Grral, a complement indeed!" says Col then spoils it by a totally unconvincing "Um Rawwrr"

Reinhardt swings at the skulk that injured him but the blow strikes only air "Bah!", he exclaims in disgust

Grral hefts his sword back into a two-handed stance and approaches the remaining creature "Yaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhwwwwwwwwaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr!!!!" he roars in challenge. The barbarian swings his sword round in a wide arc going clean over the Skulks head "Rraaarrrrggghhh" he roars in frustration

"Oh! Double drat" thinks Col "I was sure one of them would land a fatal blow. I wonder if Mercy will have better luck..."

Talwin watches the party's rear carefully for any signs of movement in the shadows.

"Nice hit Giacomo, I am glad you are on the ball" says Silas when he realises that their foe (at the rear of the party) is down and out of the fight.

Seeing the skulk fall from Giacomo's blow, Sorendal looks around and realises that the party is split by some distance " I can barely hear the otherss, we'd better catch up .." he tells Giacomo and Silas as he runs down the stairs and towards the noise of his comrades, Eddie stays fixed to his master's shoulder, watching the action with interest. Soendal spots the rogue in the room ahead of him.. " Talwin... which way did they go ?" he asks.

Talwin beckons Sorendal and quietly moves after the party keeping a look out for any tell tale noises from hiding skulks

Silas follows the wizard, racing off after the rest of the party

Mercy moves swiftly around the room behind Grral and Reinhardt, then takes aim at the Skulk and swings her greatsword, this time her blows strikes true doing truly heroic damage to the skulk (32). The beast is not able to withstand such a blow and falls dead to the floor. "RaaaRRR- ha-ha-ha-haaar!" she start to roar but breaks into a throaty chuckle.

"Let's make sure that there aren't any more hiding in the shadows here" says Mercy, looking around the small room, "Then we need to regroup as quickly as possible. Who knows how many more might pop up out of nowhere. Well done gentlemen. I'll go and swap places with Talwin- perhaps he can check this room for traps while I keep watch over the other passageways". With that she leaves the room and limps up the corridor to talk with Talwin.

Giacomo moves to the others. He spots Mercy, looking a little damaged from her fall down the stairs "So" he says with a smile "Who needs curing of their wounds?" He winks at Mercy "I must warn you, I have heard my healing is more effective if I place my hands near the recipients heart area.."

"What, even if it's my ankle that's feeling sore?" snaps Mercy

"Damn" replies Giacomo bending down to touch Mercy's ankle. "Feel the healing power of the love god Olidammara!" and he heals Mercy of some of her wounds, although she still isn't completely cured. "See, told ya.. The chest area is where its at... well, on females at least".

Sorendal moves towards the rest of the party.. "Unless we can susss thesse dodgy doorss we are gonna have to use the skulkss tunnelss.... " and he puts his bow away and draws his sword.

Col moves towards the chest by the dead skulk and then changes his mind deciding to leave the investigation to Talwin who has some expertise in locks and traps. First he reloads his crossbow and then he moves out of the room and along the corridor to the room North of the junction, murmuring a swift "Well done!" to Mercy as he passes her.

Grral smacks his chest in acknowledgement of Mercy as she passes then again wipes his hand down his blade retrieving some of the Skulk blood which he laps from his hand before wiping his blade down properly and re-sheathing it "Grral check this room of Skul-Dug-er-Eee, try find anything about kiddies" he rumbles to himself.

Sorendal turns to the gnome and asks "Talwin, are you gonna check any doors?..."

Mercy delicately slaps her own chest in response to Grral. Just don't expect me to start licking my sword clean, she thinks. "Thank you very much Giacomo, that's much better. I'll try not to pull on any mysterious levers from now on" she says as she turns to the party's cleric "Reinhardt was injured just now- can you give him any healing? He'll probably let you put your hands on his heart if you ask nicely" Mercy smiles innocently at Giacomo, and winks.

Giacomo pauses and then addresses the party "I say chaps. My god has given me the ability to heal someone today. However I can only do it once. Who should I heal? Rienhart or Mercy? As much as I relish the opportunity to lay hands on this find specimen of womanhood, I fear Rienhart is more badly hurt." Says the cleric with a look of slight distaste upon his face.

Meanwhile, unable to restrain his curiosity, Col hangs his reloaded crossbow from his belt and takes out his quarter staff. Then he glances round to check he isn't being watched, and then idly tries to use his quarterstaff to prod the coverings of the beds back and the lids of the chests open to see what he can discover.

"I will try my best on this door here then" Talwin announces from the room of the skulks.

"Damn the door, go for the chest" Col thinks to himself after hearing Talwin's remark "We already have too many ways to go - why open up another avenue we can be attacked from"

Talwin scrutinises the huge door "Looks ok to me" and the gnome attempts to open the door, looking for an appropriate mechanism.

Greyhawk

First Post
On the trail of the Skulks

"I say chaps. My god has given me the ability to heal someone today. However I can only do it once. Who should I heal? Rienhart or Mercy? As much as I relish the opportunity to lay hands on this find specimen of womanhood, I fear Rienhart is more badly hurt." says the cleric Giacomo with a look of slight distaste upon his face.

"It's but a flesh wound and will soon heal. See to the lady, who is also handy with that blade!" says Reinhardt stoically

Col checks the beds in one of the rooms, poking them with his quarterstaff. He finds nothing. He attempts to open one of the chests with his staff, from a distance, but he is unable to get a grip with the staff..

Back in the other room Talwin looks at the new cog door they have found. He notices a small diamond shaped slot carved into the door frame. "Hmm, maybe a key goes in here," says Talwin "Anyone seen any likely looking objects about? The symbol on this door is for the letter R"

The party gather the loot of the Skulks.. Three rapiers. Col picks up the sunrod that they found in one of the rooms.

Col longs longingly at the chests but decides that its too dangerous to meddle with them, he heads back to the room where Talwin is examining the door. He absentmindedly pets Strawberry who had stayed watching the party gnome examining the door. Strawberry looks as bored as a weasel is able to do. "Maybe the key is in the chest?" he asks the gnome

"Col... Think about it, why do you think they have dug the tunnelss ?" Sorendal asks Col "Perhapss because they cannot open the doorss... open doorss will give uss the advantage, esspecially if we need a fasst exit" he explains "The chestss must be perssonal lockers, just smash the lock and look if you have to... but I doubt we will find the keys to the doors in them." he suggests

Reinhardt grunts his assent "This isn't finding the kids, lets away." he tells the others and leads away to the south

Col looks around wildly, he doesn't want to be left behind but neither does he want to miss out on the treasures that he is sure the chest holds. He rushes over to the chest, takes off the lantern, blows out the light and stows it in his backpack. He then takes a deep breath, hopes that Sorendal is right, puts his finger in his ear and attempts to open the chest by the dead skulk.

"Yes, let's move on "says Mercy, following Reinhardt south. "I don't think we can do a clean sweep of this dungeon- there are just so many entrances and tunnels. Let's just go for a quick in-and-out and grab the children back to safety. We can come and mop up after." she turns to look at Giacomo and Sorendal "We ought to stick in a single group if we can, and remember to keep your eyes peeled for the Skulks. They seem to appear from nowhere."

"There may be a clue to where the children are in this skulk's chest" says Col totally unconvincingly.

Col opens the chest. Inside is the following: two tattered dark robes, three Sunrods, two flasks of oil, two Tindertwigs, a Thunderstone and a ceramic stage mask portraying the sad visage of an anguished gnome with rabbit ears. There is also a silver ring shaped like a serpent with gems for eyes. and a silver ewer adorned with dancing dryads and set with gems.

Reinhardt and Mercy head down one of tunnels south..

"Grab that stuff Col and let's move on" Talwin tells the Halfling who is staring mesmorised by the riches "TREASURE !!!" yells Col excitedly

Talwin shrugs and follows the others while Col hurriedly starts stuffing all the items into his backpack

"Loot. Awesome. Can i have some?" says Giacomo with an oily smile "That mask looks cool."

Col finishes stuffing the loot into his backpack and adds the lantern that was on top of the chest to it. "No time to examine it here" he exclaims "We need to keep up with Mercy and Reinhardt" he tells the others and half-runs along the passage and down the corridor to the South

The room the party have entered has eight black marble pillars support the thirty-foot-high ceiling of this majestic hall. The pillars are carved to resemble gnome artisans and warriors standing on each other's shoulders, bracing the vaulted roof with their collective strength. The walls are adorned with faded murals depicting gnomes in reverie---playing pipes, dancing, performing acrobatic stunts, drinking wine, and so forth. The forty-foot-wide hall widens at the south end, where a large circular pool is enclosed by a semicircular, one foot high veined marble wall. Carved into the wall above the pool is a gnome visage with water spilling from its wide grin. Four bright lights illuminate the hall. They flicker and dance like torchlight and drift aimlessly about the hall, changing altitude and direction on a whim. Two piles of rubble, one in the northwest corner and another in the southwest corner, add elements of imperfection to this grand hall.

Col swaps his quarterstaff for his crossbow and looks around the room suspiciously. "We should check out those other chests" he whispers to Talwin looks at the large room that they have come into. "Wow, its great to be such an important place for us gnomes, I feel honoured"

Talwin begins to examine the rubble but finds nothing of interest.

"I say. Wait for me chaps. Can I have a look at the mask?" Giacomo asks the Halfling, Col reluctantly fishes inside his backpack and hands the mask over to Giacomo.

Mercy moves forward into the room, carefully scanning the area for any skulks. She knows now that they seem to hide in the shadows, so she takes extra care to peer into any shady corners. Reinhardt moves with Mercy, shining his shield into any dark corners, and ready with blade should battle present itself "Hmmm moving lights. Seems magey.." he comments.

Grral having finished searching the room follows swiftly after the others to the south

Silas realising he has been left behind runs after the party

"That looks like another skulk tunnel to the south" says the party rogue "Col I dont suppose any of those skulks were carrying any food were they?" he says over the rumbling belly

Col shakes his head sadly to Talwin "No food, and even if they had I doubt it would tempt me. We are completely out of food and will need to return to Cauldron if we are not to die of starvation" he pauses "It must be an hour or more since we had breakfast. I wonder if these stairs lead up to another house in the city?" Col thinks to himself as he gazes up into the darkness to the East "Maybe even an Inn serving fine food, but that would be too much to hope for!" and he grins happily to himself.

"Lets take a look at what they've been up to" calls Reinhardt and heads South towards the tunnel spotted by Talwin

Grral moves forward into the room and takes a look into the opening/alcove in the West side of the room

Reinhardt moves through the large hall, heading for the pool at the south end. Halfway down he stops for emerging from behind the southernmost pillars appear two skulks..

"I am feeling weak already, I have never been this long between meals, it must be well past my lunchtime" says Talwin oblivious to the approaching monsters. "Oh my! It's more of those horrible creatures" he says looking away from the rubble

"But they've got to eat and to feed the children too. Maybe we are approaching their kitchen although, if the truth be told, I'm sure my nose would have picked up food smells by now" says Col licking his lips and thinking of lunch

Sorendal looks into the hall and sees his wounded comrade Reinhardt far ahead of the rest of the group, enemies approaching... " No..no,no,no.. Unfair! Unfair!" he states in a clearly agitated manner. He moves forward into the hall to help even the odds as best as he can... He chants a few arcane words and scatters some sand as he waves his hand and points at the skulk which falls into a deep sleep.

"Blasted things!" swears Reinhardt "Give up now, and you will be treated well. Resist, and things will not go so well with you!"

Mercy moves swiftly forward to stand shoulder to shoulder with Reinhardt, ready to do battle with the remaining skulk

Talwin aims his crossbow with one fluid movement "Take that you tasty little rabbit pie" says the gnome drooling, "Sorry it helps me focus when I hunt" he adds by way of an apology

"Nice shot Talwin" exclaims Col "That's a brilliant idea, calling it food, it helped your aim no end, we should all do it!". Talwins bolt hits the Skulk which staggers back wounded...

"Come on porkie pie!" shouts Mercy

Grral sights the Skulk directly to the south lets out an exultant "Skul-Dug-er-Ee!!!" before drawing his sword and charging towards the creature "Yaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhwwwwwwwwaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr!!!!" echoes around the hall as the barbarians feet pound their way toward their target

Grral rushes at the wounded creature, with one swing of his greatsword the creature dies..

Silas looks from the sleeping skulk to Grral to Sorendal "Well that spell certainly works well, I thought Grral's battle cry would waken the dead there"

Col moves to the West and looks up the side tunnel to check for danger and also to get a safe distance from the sleeping skulk.

"Someone gonna finish it off? " says Sorendal and he points to the sleeping skulk..

Reinhardt moves to the southern entrance and readies a swing in case anything approaches "Kill it, or not, I care not."

Grral leaves his sword unsheathed and wanders after Reinhardt toward the southern tunnel

"For goodness sake someone slit its throat before it wakes up and attempts to slaughter us from behind" says Col shaking his head

Grral looks over at Col. "Well done friend Col, you kill Skul-Dug-er-Ee"

"Unfortunately not Grral" replies Col "I just wouldn't be able to do enough damage to kill it but more than enough to wake it up - and make it angry too!" he adds with a laugh

Giacomo walks up with his mace ready to swing. He takes a careful aim at the Skulks ugly bonce and take a good swipe at it. Giacomo's mace strikes the Skulks head with a sickening thump.. the creature is dead

Grral peers down the corridor for any clue as to what lies ahead, as he concentrates his eyes begin to droop and his breathing slows to deep rumbling breaths

Silas raises an eyebrow "Nice hit Giacomo" he says with a wry smile as he wanders after the others

Mercy slips between Grral and Reinhardt and peers down the tunnel at the end of the great hall. "Shall we carry on following the skulks' tunnels, rather than the main corridors? Seems to make sense to me" She looks closely at the tunnel- every shadow looks like it might be hiding a Skulk but spots nothing..

"Looks like a theatre in this direction" Col calls back "No sign of life that I can see..." he tells the others while he gazes round the room where four ornate pillars support the twenty foot high vaulted ceiling of this room, which is illuminated by lanterns hanging in the corners. Tattered red curtains dangle from iron rods mounted to the walls and pillars. Ornately carved benches stand in the rectangular area defined by the pillars. Partially set in the south wall is a raised wooden stage with two short staircases leading up to it. Red curtains partially conceal the back wall of the stage, which is painted with an elaborate woodland mural.

"By the way, I'm just reporting what I see" says Col over his shoulder "I'm not suggesting this is a good way to go - although I do see another of those skulk tunnels to the North! I'll follow where you lead Lady Mercy"

Reinhardt smiles softly to himself "I too, follow this day, it seems."

Not being able to see what the others are doing Col hurries back into the room with the dancing lights casting a reluctant glance back at the benches set out before the stage with its tattered curtains and a trapdoor set in the centre.

"This is a very orderly line." scoff Giacomo "You guys must all be lawful... Bloody queuing in a dungeon. Who's have thunk it?"

Given the long queue to go into the tunnel, Col wanders off to check the two skulk bodies for items of note or value. "If you're going down the tunnel, get on with it" he thinks to himself "Personally the abandoned theatre looks more interesting, maybe we'll find real treasure amongst the costume jewellery in the prop. box!"

Sorendal sheathes his sword gets his bow out, again "Col.. we're ssuppossed to be looking for kidnapped children not trinkets.. "

Col pretends to look around "I see no children here or even any clues to where they are. So anyplace we look is as good as any other" he says sulkily "And I don't see why we shouldn't confiscate any valuables from the abductors! I'm sure they will keep all their valuables together treasures and captives, so they can guard them better" he finishes triumphant but totally unconvincingly. He moves forward, he drops the sunrod on the floor and then creeps forward slowly down the passageway, keeping to the shadows and peeps round the corner <b>very bravely</b>!

Col looks down the tunnel, the sunrod casting its light...the tunnel appears to be empty..

Mercy moves to the corner of the tunnel and on around the corner. "Col" she says "Can you carry the sun rod? I want to concentrate on keeping my sword ready for any unexpected attacks". She moves slowly forward, looking for any skulks that might be loitering.

Col nods and collects the sun-rod again to follow Mercy down the passage. In his other hand he carries the loaded cross-bow

"I think that this is the first tunnel that takes us away from the rooms mapped out by Keygan. The others appear to link us to other rooms on this level, so this would seem to be the best bet for finding a new hiding place. Or maybe this tunnel just bends back on itself and joins back to Keygan's map." It's not clear whether Mercy is seriously thinking about the map, or just trying to distract herself from the prospect of more skulks. "Maybe the skulks have just made these tunnels so that they can avoid the cogged doors, which are meant to be dangerous according to Jenya's riddle"

"I hope that we are near the end of the quest and to finding the children in the skulks home nest" says Col, his voice pitched low and trembling slightly "So we can go home" he adds to himself

"Mmmm Col, I suspect that we have a little way to go yet. Keep cheerful- we may find some food or something...." Mercy finishes lamely. The halfling's face brightens at the mention of food and he peers hopefully down the passage.

Silas walks down the tunnel "Let me scout ahead" he whispers to Mercy

"OK" she whispers back "but be careful. There are bound to be more of the creepy chaps hiding in the dark corners"

Silas moves forward down the tunnel. Eventually it turns north and then again east..

Col creeps forward to peer round the next corner, surely this will reveal the room with the children and maybe food... He tries to hug the shadows and waits, listening and watching the darkness ahead

Talwin catches up, he observes down the side corridor whilst he waits for the party to move forward

Reinhardt breathes in Mercy's ear "Not the stand-up fight I'd prefer - just these creepy bastards keeping to the shadows, not good!"

"Is anyone coming to help" Col calls in a low voice from his advanced position "Otherwise I'm bloody well coming back!" he sees that the tunnel ends abruptly. At the end is a 5ft diameter hole in the floor

Mercy moves towards the hole in the floor at the end of the corridor. She edges forwards and looks down the hole.

Sorendal sighs when he sees the hole in the floor ... " That ssucks... "

Undetered Mercy peers down the hole. From the light afforded by the sunrod Col holds, she can see that it drops approximately 7 foot, then continues east, she looks around, but spots nothing more of interest..

Greyhawk

First Post
A trip to the Theatre

Wondering why those in front are anxious about entering the tunnel, the gnome shrugs and runs past them after the others "Wait up" he calls

"Great to see you!" says Col with relief when Talwin arrives at the bend in the tunnel "What's keeping the others?"

Grral awakes with a start and looks around for the others, his hand automatically reaching for the pouch around his neck as he does so "Where are others Gia-Co-Mo?" he enquires of the cleric before heading off down the southern passage before the priest has time to respond "Ah, here you are, Grral sorry, he try and keep up any more Skul-Dug-er-Eee?" he asks expectantly

"Just in case anyone asks" says Col almost to himself "I don't have any rope - Not a single bit, unless any of you have thought to bring some we'll have to go back and make up a rope from knotted sheets from the skulk's beds if we want to get down and back up again afterwards."

Sorendal turns to Col, "I have no rope either.. but I am happy to climb sseven feet down or up... if itss more than twenty foot I wanna rope though"

"One small drop for a man but one giant fall for a halfling" says Col in response

Sorendal "I am Elf not 'man... but sstill, I ssee what you mean... you want me to carry your bag ? or maybe we can lower you down if you cant climb... err, can you climb? Mind you... do we actually want to go further down this maze of tunnelss without clearing the other roomss on the map firsst ? " he asks

"It matters not" Reinhardt replies "I expect my blade to clear the way should I feel it needful to retire. Who goes down first? Graal, Myself or Mercy, or perhaps Silas would take a look? Needless to say, I am ready should it be required."

"I vote that we go on." Mercy recommends "I think we'll find it difficult to clear levels with all the tunnels and so on. I'm going to drop down. Wait here and be ready to pull me up!" With that, Mercy puts her sword down on the edge of the hole, sits down with her legs dangling, then rolls over so that she can hold on to the edge and drop down to the level below. As she lands she looks up and gestures for Reinhardt to pass her sword down. Then she looks around her.

Col moves to the edge of the hole and gets ready to drop one end of his quarter staff down the hole in case Mercy needs to get up again in a hurry. "She's a brave lady" he thinks to himself

Mercy moves along the short tunnel. The tunnel stops and she can see a hole approximately 7ft above her. She jumps, and grabs, pulling herself up to see.

Bits of rubble and debris cover the floor of this cold room. Patches of green mould grow on the damp walls and cling to the ceiling. Lying in a heap in the southeast corner are the gutted, putrefied remains of an eight-foot-long green worm with multiple legs and eight slimy tentacles sprouting from its bulbous head. A heap of armor and shields lies nearby. A cog door is shut in the east wall.

While Giacomo takes just a few minutes time out to take care of his dreadfully messed up quiff he notices that the others were moving off. He quickly finishes of, taking only another five minutes to preen himself. Which is not enough time at all. Quiff management is a serious business. Putting is mirror and comb away he hurries after the others. "Wait for me chaps" he calls

Col ships his quarterstaff and grips the sunrod between his teeth, then he drops over the edge of the hole gripping the edge with his fingers. He hangs for a moment and then drops, landing as softly as possible. "Careful Mercy" he cautions the fighter as raises the sunrod so that Mercy can see the full extent of the room, and takes out his crossbow again, looking nervous "It's possible that the dead creature is a victim of the disease that Keygan warned us of. I'll help you with the treasure, it may contain clues as to the children's destination but I'd appreciate a hoist up to the hole in the floor when we're done!"

Col passes the sunrod up to Mercy if she needs it and then suggests that it doesn't look as if the children came in this direction. "Perhaps the Theatre would be a good place to look" he suggests "There was another of these tunnels heading off from there" he adds, helpfully.

Master] Col and Talwin go down the hole and are hoisted up into the room..

"Boost me up please Col I better take a look for traps"

Mercy wrinkles her nose in disgust. Not at the dead creature, but at the mouldy walls. "Isn't it amazing the state that some people let their property get into? A little cleaning and a regular airing wouldn't go amiss" and she walks over to the armour and crouches down to examine it

Talwin moves to the great cogged door and checks it for traps and a mechanism to open it. Talwin checks the gear door. He notices a tiny diamond shaped slot carved into the door frame. He also notices a glyph burnt into the door. The party have seen this symbol before. It is a gnomish symbol for the letter "A"

"What do you make of it Talwin? Do you think it's safe to open? asks Mercy

Grral heads on down the passage, drops down the hole and follows the others up into the room "What are this thing?" Grall asks as he sifts through the remains of the dead worm "It are Skul-Dug-er-Ee pet or they kill it?" he muses, inside the remains of the creature Grral finds two wooden coffers.

The elf watches the others disappear down the hole... he crouches down and jumps down the hole following them. Sorendal climbs up the other side and out next to Grral "OH MY GOD... what iss that thing ?" he exclaims, looking at the dissected remnants on the floor, then he looks at the coffers on the floor.."You found them in that ? " his face still wrinkled with disgust .. "Well it looks like the anaemic creaturesss didn't find them... anyone wanna open them, see whatss inside ? ... " he leans past Grral and picks up the second coffer. He looks at it to see if it is locked... if it has no lock he will try to open it... " a nice diamond sshaped key would be handy right now" he mumbles. Sorendal opens one of the wooden coffers. Inside is: *Small silver framed mirror, *A healers Kit, *A silver dragon pendant with gemstone eyes, *A sealed copper scroll tube.

"Eeww. Grral. Stop rooting about in the corpses of monsters. You've got slime all over you. "Giacomo wrinkles his ever so pretty nose "That's disgusting". While he seems to have a minute Giacomo gets out the mask from his bag and examines it. Wondering if it has an special significance to him. It is a ceramic stage mask portraying the sad visage of an anguished gnome with rabbit ears. He ponders it for a moment. It doesn't appear to have any significance to him.

"Clearly a parasite of some sort that eats everything in it's path" Reinhardt cautions the others "Let's keep a lookout for any more!"

Grral looks down at his slime covered arms and shrugs unconcernedly. He picks up the other box coated in the ichorous internal discharges of the creature and attempts to open it.

Silas climbs into the room, clearly unsettled by the corpse he averts his eyes "I was never a fan of bugs and creepy crawlies" he says to no one in particular. "What think you of the door little rogue, any chance of opening it?"

Sorendal still rummages through the coffer, then he takes out the mirror and healer's kit and hands them to Giacomo.." you could make best use of these Giac " . Sorendal looks at the copper scroll tube.." I have no read magic today. Col do you have it ? " he puts it in his backpack.. Finally, and with great care, he takes out the pendant and holds it up in front of his face. He stares at it almost mesmerized, spinning it on its chain so the gemstone eyes flicker in the light of the sunrod. "Sso pretty.... a dragon casst in ssilver with gems for eyess. You can even see the tiny sscaless... " he stares some more and sifts his brain for any dragon-lore or local knowledge about the pendant. Sorendal looks carefully at the pendant. He thinks the eyes are moonstones

"We need the key I think," says Talwin still studying the door "I can have a go at making it open but I suspect it may trigger a trap" and he sets to work, attempting to open the door

Grral opens the other wooden coffer. It contains: 140cp, 225sp, 178gp.

Talwin attempts to open the gear door. Carefully he inserts his tools into the diamond shaped hole. Suddenly a burst of flame erupts out from the door, Talwin tries to avoid the flames but he is still moderately wounded. The flames die down almost instantly but the cog door remains stubbornly shut. "Ouch" he exclaims, conscious of the lady in the party "I think we should find some keys"

"Oh that mirror is lovely; Much nicer than mine. Can I use it? Can I? Can I? Can I?" Giacomo asks eagerly, he takes the mirror and checks his hair in it. Mmmmmm. Does his quiff flop about too much. Well in combat it might. Does it look dashing enough? As long as he never wears a helmet he decides it'll do just fine. Time seems to pass differently for Giacomo when he looks in a mirror. Dragging his eyes away from the mirror the handsome priest looks at the ground. "One of these will be handy too." He mutters as he bends over and picks up a buckler then looks at the heavy wooden shield he has on his back that he has been using and thinks for a second. No. It may be more dainty but it's ain't as useful. He tosses the buckler down again.

"I agree - keys, or a bypass" says Reinhardt "No more messing with these things. Save you strength for actual enemies. Lets take a look along this tunnel - I wonder where the little buggers tunnelled from?"

Col looks at the items with obvious satisfaction "Well, it's nice to have treasure but this isn't helping us find the children. Let's store it somewhere until we are ready to go back - and continue our search?" he suggests "We can't carry all this armour" he says shrugging "But it is valuable so we should take it back to the city. But the smaller items are easily portable, I can carry them but I already have lots in my backpack so would someone else want to volunteer?"

"You a right Talwin, we need the key.. Can't have that happen again" he points to Talwins singed sleeve" I have the sscroll in my pack and thiss pendant I sshall put round my neck " he replies to Col

"Come on!" says Reinhardt impatiently "The missing people have not become less missing because you have found some things you can convert to cash!"

"Big little gnome in shop, he make locks, he maybe help with these round teethy door locks? they made by gnomes too" suggests Grral forehead deeply furrowed in thought

Col nods in agreement with Reinhardt "You are right, the children are our objective and we should gather up these items, which may aid our opponents and move onwards. Another of their tunnels leads from the theatre..." he pauses "Grral is wise" he continues "If our way is blocked in the future, we may need to venture above to seek aid from the master locksmith. In the meantime let us explore as much as we are able before we head once more to the surface to report to Jenya and to take a bite to eat"

"Agreed" shrugs Silas "As we are here let us continue on as far as possible. A valiant effort Talwin, was definitely worth a try."

Reinhardt hunkers down, eyes straining into the darkness, awaiting his compadres

"Then, sadly, we must return the way we came and seek another route to the children" Col pauses and his eyes turn misty "I was rather hoping that there would have been some sign that the children passed this way ... and ... that they were alive..."

Sorendal picks up the money and puts it in his backpack.. "I will carry that too if it meanss we can move on... Reinhardt is waiting for us. " He hops back down the hole, along the tunnel and up the other side... he then moves down the corridor looking for the injured warrior as he lopes out of sight he calls back to the others.. "Anyone else wonder why they didn't just dig through the wall?... weird "

Col moves tro the edge of the hole and lowers himself down, "Hey Sorendal" he calls "Can you give me a hand back up again?"

Mercy has been looking around the room, examining Keygan's map, and apparently thinking deeply.

"We can leave all the heavy stuff by the stairs we came down for now and get it later" says Talwin reluctantly and starts to head back

Mercy follows Talwin out of the room, along the corridor, and back up through the hole in the floor

"We need to find the way out of Keygan's map, and I think it has to be via the skulk tunnels, so let's keep following them and see whether we get anywhere."

The party gather up the loot and proceed back down the tunnel...

"Hold on." says Giacomo feigning excitement "Did Grral just come up with an idea? No one seemed to acknowledge it. But I'm sure he did." he mutters to himself and follows the others

Grral follows the others back down the passage and moves on into the room, his expression somewhat glazed, he stares suspiciously at Sorendal as they progress down the corridor but soon reverts back to a blank expression

Col hurries into the room muttering to himself and goes and checks that the two dead skulks don't have anything hidden about their persons. He's not expecting to find anything but looks vaguely worried.

Sorendal Nailo moves into the hall.. "Which way?" he asks

Col thinks for a moment before responding "If you want to follow the skulks then there are tunnels from the theatre, near here or we can go north and follow the Eastern passage. If you just want to explore then there are three other exits from this hall. I think that we should follow the skulks' passages if possible, we stand a better chance of finding the orphans, but they have been gone for a time now and I fear the worst..."

Reinhardt answers "I agree - follow the Sulks to their lair ...but let's take a quick look down here first - I have a feeling about this way."

Mercy moves up to join Reinhardt. "Let's go and take a look". She moves up ahead of Reinhardt and down the corridor

"Me too" says Col eagerly as he moves along behind Reinhardt

Grral moves up beside the fighter

Rienhardt and Col rapidly move toward where Col said he saw a theatre area. Mercy, Grral and Talwin are close behind. They go down a western corridor off of the hall.

The corridor opens out into a room. Four ornate pillars support the twenty foot high vaulted ceiling of this room, which is illuminated by lanterns hanging in the corners. Tattered red curtains dangle from iron rods mounted to the walls and pillars. Ornately carved benches stand in the rectangular area defined by the pillars. Partially set in the south wall is a raised wooden stage with two short staircases leading up to it. Red curtains partially conceal the back wall of the stage, which is painted with an elaborate woodland mural.

Giacomo walks towards the stage but as he approaches one of the stage curtains flutters, and a small figure steps out from behind it. A baby black bear--or rather--, a gnome wearing a bear costume--takes centre stage, raises a paw to his lips, and begins speaking softly. "Night hath fallen in the magic woods, and while a myriad of woodland creatures dream, Willowbough and her faerie friends frolic beneath the sorcerous moon!"

The small bear curls up into a ball on the stage and feigns sleep. Moments later, a female gnome with briars for hair materializes on stage, as though she were standing invisibly a moment ago, and begins dancing. Solemn music fills the theatre as butterfly-winged faeries appear from backstage and join the ballet.

Talwin and Col takes seats and watches with great interest "This is most interesting" says the gnome "That tunnel at the back looks like a good place to check next"

Col nods vigorously unable to drag his eyes from the play "I wonder what will appear from the trapdoor?" he asks Talwin excitedly

Mercy watches the on-stage activity for a few moments, then turns away from the stage and looks around the room. She slowly starts to make her way towards the tunnel in the north end of the room, checking carefully for hidden foes

A frown crosses Col's face and he wonders if the noise on stage is just to make sure that any sounds that may be coming from under the stage, are concealed. Could the children be hidden there he wonders...

Reinhardt shakes his head and speaks in couplets "What phantasms from ages past still strut their hour upon the stage, awaiting new audiences to disturb the dust of ages?" Then he appears to get a grip on himself "Keep an eye on that Sulk tunnel something is about to kick off." he suggests gruffly

Col glances at Reinhardt surprised at the warrior's outburst, then listens intently, trying any sounds from beneath the stage but can't hear anything above the noise of the ghostly actors. Col shrugs and settles down to enjoy the entertainment, perhaps nothing is concealed under the trapdoor after all

Talwin is quickly bored at the play and the gnome leaves his seat, he moves to look into the rough hewn tunnel.

Reinhardt walks over to the bear-faced gnome "Let me have a varder at yer dolly old eek"

Col chuckles with enjoyment and claps his hands at the interchange

Grral stalks into the room and stares fixedly at the stage as the gnomish performers enact there parts, he glances around distrustfully at the rest of the room before returning his gaze to the performance, appearing both enthralled and highly suspicious "What are little gnomes doing making acting in old play house?" he enquires of the gnomes and watches them even more carefully

The gnome in the bear costume does not appear to hear Grral's words and the play continues. The party watch the story unfold and bear witness to the sombre tale of Willowbough and Silverarrow a dryad and a ranger who fall in love. The story also includes Moontusk, the ranger's bitter wereboar nemesis who strives to ruin their love by destroying the dryad's sacred tree. After the play finishes, the characters onstage vanish...

Col applauds loadly as it ends! Then he climbs onto the stage and crouches, ear pressed to the floor. He listens for any sounds from underneath the stage, but hears nothing.

"Nice as the show is friends its not finding the children, lets get going" Talwin says to the others.

Giacomo sits enjoying the play. Though to be honest he finds it a little simplistic and childish. "Mmm" says the cleric thoughtfully." This was either an illusion designed to tell a story of love fighting against terrible odds. Or the spiritual echo's of events long past. I personally plumb for the latter. This appears to be an omen or portent of some power. The theme of corrupted nature, ie the wereboar combating pure nature, the dryad, and man's love and defence of the pure nature could indeed be a warning to us of the origin of these hideous and corrupted 'Skulks' and it may also help us in combating them. What do you chaps think?"

Col gives the cleric an uncomprehending stare "Whatever" he says and after a pause "Whatever is under the stage isn't making any noise I can hear so lets' explore the tunnels so more" he agrees. With that he moves up on the other side of the pillar from Talwin, crossbow at the ready.

During the play Mercy has made her way quietly to the back of the theatre. She moves in front of the opening to the skulk tunnel and looks down it. "There's a T-junction ahead" she murmurs. I think left goes to a large room, and right into a small room behind this theatre. I vote we go left- more chance of the kidnap victims being held in one area, if they are still in this area". She starts to move into the tunnel

Sorendal sees Mercy moving on, he follows her over to the tunnel.. "Left iss good for me ... This is one weird place" he says to no one in particular

Col agrees, nodding his head "Very weird indeed, I'll be glad when we have the little children and can see the light of day again, that and get some food - I'm waiting away down here, I haven't eaten since breakfast" he pauses "Apart from some bread that is" another pause "And I had to share that with Talwin..."

Greyhawk

First Post
The the Hall of the Gnome King

Wondering why those in front are anxious about entering the tunnel, the gnome shrugs and runs past them after the others "Wait up" he calls

"Great to see you!" says Col with relief when Talwin arrives at the bend in the tunnel "What's keeping the others?"

Grral awakes with a start and looks around for the others, his hand automatically reaching for the pouch around his neck as he does so "Where are others Gia-Co-Mo?" he enquires of the cleric before heading off down the southern passage before the priest has time to respond "Ah, here you are, Grral sorry, he try and keep up any more Skul-Dug-er-Eee?" he asks expectantly

"Just in case anyone asks" says Col almost to himself "I don't have any rope - Not a single bit, unless any of you have thought to bring some we'll have to go back and make up a rope from knotted sheets from the skulk's beds if we want to get down and back up again afterwards."

Sorendal turns to Col, "I have no rope either.. but I am happy to climb sseven feet down or up... if itss more than twenty foot I wanna rope though"

"One small drop for a man but one giant fall for a halfling" says Col in response

Sorendal "I am Elf not 'man... but sstill, I ssee what you mean... you want me to carry your bag ? or maybe we can lower you down if you cant climb... err, can you climb? Mind you... do we actually want to go further down this maze of tunnelss without clearing the other roomss on the map firsst ? " he asks

"It matters not" Reinhardt replies "I expect my blade to clear the way should I feel it needful to retire. Who goes down first? Graal, Myself or Mercy, or perhaps Silas would take a look? Needless to say, I am ready should it be required."

"I vote that we go on." Mercy recommends "I think we'll find it difficult to clear levels with all the tunnels and so on. I'm going to drop down. Wait here and be ready to pull me up!" With that, Mercy puts her sword down on the edge of the hole, sits down with her legs dangling, then rolls over so that she can hold on to the edge and drop down to the level below. As she lands she looks up and gestures for Reinhardt to pass her sword down. Then she looks around her.

Col moves to the edge of the hole and gets ready to drop one end of his quarter staff down the hole in case Mercy needs to get up again in a hurry. "She's a brave lady" he thinks to himself

Mercy moves along the short tunnel. The tunnel stops and she can see a hole approximately 7ft above her. She jumps, and grabs, pulling herself up to see.

Bits of rubble and debris cover the floor of this cold room. Patches of green mould grow on the damp walls and cling to the ceiling. Lying in a heap in the southeast corner are the gutted, putrefied remains of an eight-foot-long green worm with multiple legs and eight slimy tentacles sprouting from its bulbous head. A heap of armor and shields lies nearby. A cog door is shut in the east wall.

While Giacomo takes just a few minutes time out to take care of his dreadfully messed up quiff he notices that the others were moving off. He quickly finishes of, taking only another five minutes to preen himself. Which is not enough time at all. Quiff management is a serious business. Putting is mirror and comb away he hurries after the others. "Wait for me chaps" he calls

Col ships his quarterstaff and grips the sunrod between his teeth, then he drops over the edge of the hole gripping the edge with his fingers. He hangs for a moment and then drops, landing as softly as possible. "Careful Mercy" he cautions the fighter as raises the sunrod so that Mercy can see the full extent of the room, and takes out his crossbow again, looking nervous "It's possible that the dead creature is a victim of the disease that Keygan warned us of. I'll help you with the treasure, it may contain clues as to the children's destination but I'd appreciate a hoist up to the hole in the floor when we're done!"

Col passes the sunrod up to Mercy if she needs it and then suggests that it doesn't look as if the children came in this direction. "Perhaps the Theatre would be a good place to look" he suggests "There was another of these tunnels heading off from there" he adds, helpfully.

Master] Col and Talwin go down the hole and are hoisted up into the room..

"Boost me up please Col I better take a look for traps"

Mercy wrinkles her nose in disgust. Not at the dead creature, but at the mouldy walls. "Isn't it amazing the state that some people let their property get into? A little cleaning and a regular airing wouldn't go amiss" and she walks over to the armour and crouches down to examine it

Talwin moves to the great cogged door and checks it for traps and a mechanism to open it. Talwin checks the gear door. He notices a tiny diamond shaped slot carved into the door frame. He also notices a glyph burnt into the door. The party have seen this symbol before. It is a gnomish symbol for the letter "A"

"What do you make of it Talwin? Do you think it's safe to open? asks Mercy

Grral heads on down the passage, drops down the hole and follows the others up into the room "What are this thing?" Grall asks as he sifts through the remains of the dead worm "It are Skul-Dug-er-Ee pet or they kill it?" he muses, inside the remains of the creature Grral finds two wooden coffers.

The elf watches the others disappear down the hole... he crouches down and jumps down the hole following them. Sorendal climbs up the other side and out next to Grral "OH MY GOD... what iss that thing ?" he exclaims, looking at the dissected remnants on the floor, then he looks at the coffers on the floor.."You found them in that ? " his face still wrinkled with disgust .. "Well it looks like the anaemic creaturesss didn't find them... anyone wanna open them, see whatss inside ? ... " he leans past Grral and picks up the second coffer. He looks at it to see if it is locked... if it has no lock he will try to open it... " a nice diamond sshaped key would be handy right now" he mumbles. Sorendal opens one of the wooden coffers. Inside is: *Small silver framed mirror, *A healers Kit, *A silver dragon pendant with gemstone eyes, *A sealed copper scroll tube.

"Eeww. Grral. Stop rooting about in the corpses of monsters. You've got slime all over you. "Giacomo wrinkles his ever so pretty nose "That's disgusting". While he seems to have a minute Giacomo gets out the mask from his bag and examines it. Wondering if it has an special significance to him. It is a ceramic stage mask portraying the sad visage of an anguished gnome with rabbit ears. He ponders it for a moment. It doesn't appear to have any significance to him.

"Clearly a parasite of some sort that eats everything in it's path" Reinhardt cautions the others "Let's keep a lookout for any more!"

Grral looks down at his slime covered arms and shrugs unconcernedly. He picks up the other box coated in the ichorous internal discharges of the creature and attempts to open it.

Silas climbs into the room, clearly unsettled by the corpse he averts his eyes "I was never a fan of bugs and creepy crawlies" he says to no one in particular. "What think you of the door little rogue, any chance of opening it?"

Sorendal still rummages through the coffer, then he takes out the mirror and healer's kit and hands them to Giacomo.." you could make best use of these Giac " . Sorendal looks at the copper scroll tube.." I have no read magic today. Col do you have it ? " he puts it in his backpack.. Finally, and with great care, he takes out the pendant and holds it up in front of his face. He stares at it almost mesmerized, spinning it on its chain so the gemstone eyes flicker in the light of the sunrod. "Sso pretty.... a dragon casst in ssilver with gems for eyess. You can even see the tiny sscaless... " he stares some more and sifts his brain for any dragon-lore or local knowledge about the pendant. Sorendal looks carefully at the pendant. He thinks the eyes are moonstones

"We need the key I think," says Talwin still studying the door "I can have a go at making it open but I suspect it may trigger a trap" and he sets to work, attempting to open the door

Grral opens the other wooden coffer. It contains: 140cp, 225sp, 178gp.

Talwin attempts to open the gear door. Carefully he inserts his tools into the diamond shaped hole. Suddenly a burst of flame erupts out from the door, Talwin tries to avoid the flames but he is still moderately wounded. The flames die down almost instantly but the cog door remains stubbornly shut. "Ouch" he exclaims, conscious of the lady in the party "I think we should find some keys"

"Oh that mirror is lovely; Much nicer than mine. Can I use it? Can I? Can I? Can I?" Giacomo asks eagerly, he takes the mirror and checks his hair in it. Mmmmmm. Does his quiff flop about too much. Well in combat it might. Does it look dashing enough? As long as he never wears a helmet he decides it'll do just fine. Time seems to pass differently for Giacomo when he looks in a mirror. Dragging his eyes away from the mirror the handsome priest looks at the ground. "One of these will be handy too." He mutters as he bends over and picks up a buckler then looks at the heavy wooden shield he has on his back that he has been using and thinks for a second. No. It may be more dainty but it's ain't as useful. He tosses the buckler down again.

"I agree - keys, or a bypass" says Reinhardt "No more messing with these things. Save you strength for actual enemies. Lets take a look along this tunnel - I wonder where the little buggers tunnelled from?"

Col looks at the items with obvious satisfaction "Well, it's nice to have treasure but this isn't helping us find the children. Let's store it somewhere until we are ready to go back - and continue our search?" he suggests "We can't carry all this armour" he says shrugging "But it is valuable so we should take it back to the city. But the smaller items are easily portable, I can carry them but I already have lots in my backpack so would someone else want to volunteer?"

"You a right Talwin, we need the key.. Can't have that happen again" he points to Talwins singed sleeve" I have the sscroll in my pack and thiss pendant I sshall put round my neck " he replies to Col

"Come on!" says Reinhardt impatiently "The missing people have not become less missing because you have found some things you can convert to cash!"

"Big little gnome in shop, he make locks, he maybe help with these round teethy door locks? they made by gnomes too" suggests Grral forehead deeply furrowed in thought

Col nods in agreement with Reinhardt "You are right, the children are our objective and we should gather up these items, which may aid our opponents and move onwards. Another of their tunnels leads from the theatre..." he pauses "Grral is wise" he continues "If our way is blocked in the future, we may need to venture above to seek aid from the master locksmith. In the meantime let us explore as much as we are able before we head once more to the surface to report to Jenya and to take a bite to eat"

"Agreed" shrugs Silas "As we are here let us continue on as far as possible. A valiant effort Talwin, was definitely worth a try."

Reinhardt hunkers down, eyes straining into the darkness, awaiting his compadres

"Then, sadly, we must return the way we came and seek another route to the children" Col pauses and his eyes turn misty "I was rather hoping that there would have been some sign that the children passed this way ... and ... that they were alive..."

Sorendal picks up the money and puts it in his backpack.. "I will carry that too if it meanss we can move on... Reinhardt is waiting for us. " He hops back down the hole, along the tunnel and up the other side... he then moves down the corridor looking for the injured warrior as he lopes out of sight he calls back to the others.. "Anyone else wonder why they didn't just dig through the wall?... weird "

Col moves tro the edge of the hole and lowers himself down, "Hey Sorendal" he calls "Can you give me a hand back up again?"

Mercy has been looking around the room, examining Keygan's map, and apparently thinking deeply.

"We can leave all the heavy stuff by the stairs we came down for now and get it later" says Talwin reluctantly and starts to head back

Mercy follows Talwin out of the room, along the corridor, and back up through the hole in the floor

"We need to find the way out of Keygan's map, and I think it has to be via the skulk tunnels, so let's keep following them and see whether we get anywhere."

The party gather up the loot and proceed back down the tunnel...

"Hold on." says Giacomo feigning excitement "Did Grral just come up with an idea? No one seemed to acknowledge it. But I'm sure he did." he mutters to himself and follows the others

Grral follows the others back down the passage and moves on into the room, his expression somewhat glazed, he stares suspiciously at Sorendal as they progress down the corridor but soon reverts back to a blank expression

Col hurries into the room muttering to himself and goes and checks that the two dead skulks don't have anything hidden about their persons. He's not expecting to find anything but looks vaguely worried.

Sorendal Nailo moves into the hall.. "Which way?" he asks

Col thinks for a moment before responding "If you want to follow the skulks then there are tunnels from the theatre, near here or we can go north and follow the Eastern passage. If you just want to explore then there are three other exits from this hall. I think that we should follow the skulks' passages if possible, we stand a better chance of finding the orphans, but they have been gone for a time now and I fear the worst..."

Reinhardt answers "I agree - follow the Sulks to their lair ...but let's take a quick look down here first - I have a feeling about this way."

Mercy moves up to join Reinhardt. "Let's go and take a look". She moves up ahead of Reinhardt and down the corridor

"Me too" says Col eagerly as he moves along behind Reinhardt

Grral moves up beside the fighter

Rienhardt and Col rapidly move toward where Col said he saw a theatre area. Mercy, Grral and Talwin are close behind. They go down a western corridor off of the hall.

The corridor opens out into a room. Four ornate pillars support the twenty foot high vaulted ceiling of this room, which is illuminated by lanterns hanging in the corners. Tattered red curtains dangle from iron rods mounted to the walls and pillars. Ornately carved benches stand in the rectangular area defined by the pillars. Partially set in the south wall is a raised wooden stage with two short staircases leading up to it. Red curtains partially conceal the back wall of the stage, which is painted with an elaborate woodland mural.

Giacomo walks towards the stage but as he approaches one of the stage curtains flutters, and a small figure steps out from behind it. A baby black bear--or rather--, a gnome wearing a bear costume--takes centre stage, raises a paw to his lips, and begins speaking softly. "Night hath fallen in the magic woods, and while a myriad of woodland creatures dream, Willowbough and her faerie friends frolic beneath the sorcerous moon!"

The small bear curls up into a ball on the stage and feigns sleep. Moments later, a female gnome with briars for hair materializes on stage, as though she were standing invisibly a moment ago, and begins dancing. Solemn music fills the theatre as butterfly-winged faeries appear from backstage and join the ballet.

Talwin and Col takes seats and watches with great interest "This is most interesting" says the gnome "That tunnel at the back looks like a good place to check next"

Col nods vigorously unable to drag his eyes from the play "I wonder what will appear from the trapdoor?" he asks Talwin excitedly

Mercy watches the on-stage activity for a few moments, then turns away from the stage and looks around the room. She slowly starts to make her way towards the tunnel in the north end of the room, checking carefully for hidden foes

A frown crosses Col's face and he wonders if the noise on stage is just to make sure that any sounds that may be coming from under the stage, are concealed. Could the children be hidden there he wonders...

Reinhardt shakes his head and speaks in couplets "What phantasms from ages past still strut their hour upon the stage, awaiting new audiences to disturb the dust of ages?" Then he appears to get a grip on himself "Keep an eye on that Sulk tunnel something is about to kick off." he suggests gruffly

Col glances at Reinhardt surprised at the warrior's outburst, then listens intently, trying any sounds from beneath the stage but can't hear anything above the noise of the ghostly actors. Col shrugs and settles down to enjoy the entertainment, perhaps nothing is concealed under the trapdoor after all

Talwin is quickly bored at the play and the gnome leaves his seat, he moves to look into the rough hewn tunnel.

Reinhardt walks over to the bear-faced gnome "Let me have a varder at yer dolly old eek"

Col chuckles with enjoyment and claps his hands at the interchange

Grral stalks into the room and stares fixedly at the stage as the gnomish performers enact there parts, he glances around distrustfully at the rest of the room before returning his gaze to the performance, appearing both enthralled and highly suspicious "What are little gnomes doing making acting in old play house?" he enquires of the gnomes and watches them even more carefully

The gnome in the bear costume does not appear to hear Grral's words and the play continues. The party watch the story unfold and bear witness to the sombre tale of Willowbough and Silverarrow a dryad and a ranger who fall in love. The story also includes Moontusk, the ranger's bitter wereboar nemesis who strives to ruin their love by destroying the dryad's sacred tree. After the play finishes, the characters onstage vanish...

Col applauds loadly as it ends! Then he climbs onto the stage and crouches, ear pressed to the floor. He listens for any sounds from underneath the stage, but hears nothing.

"Nice as the show is friends its not finding the children, lets get going" Talwin says to the others.

Giacomo sits enjoying the play. Though to be honest he finds it a little simplistic and childish. "Mmm" says the cleric thoughtfully." This was either an illusion designed to tell a story of love fighting against terrible odds. Or the spiritual echo's of events long past. I personally plumb for the latter. This appears to be an omen or portent of some power. The theme of corrupted nature, ie the wereboar combating pure nature, the dryad, and man's love and defence of the pure nature could indeed be a warning to us of the origin of these hideous and corrupted 'Skulks' and it may also help us in combating them. What do you chaps think?"

Col gives the cleric an uncomprehending stare "Whatever" he says and after a pause "Whatever is under the stage isn't making any noise I can hear so lets' explore the tunnels so more" he agrees. With that he moves up on the other side of the pillar from Talwin, crossbow at the ready.

During the play Mercy has made her way quietly to the back of the theatre. She moves in front of the opening to the skulk tunnel and looks down it. "There's a T-junction ahead" she murmurs. I think left goes to a large room, and right into a small room behind this theatre. I vote we go left- more chance of the kidnap victims being held in one area, if they are still in this area". She starts to move into the tunnel

Sorendal sees Mercy moving on, he follows her over to the tunnel.. "Left iss good for me ... This is one weird place" he says to no one in particular

Col agrees, nodding his head "Very weird indeed, I'll be glad when we have the little children and can see the light of day again, that and get some food - I'm waiting away down here, I haven't eaten since breakfast" he pauses "Apart from some bread that is" another pause "And I had to share that with Talwin..."

Where would the Northern door lead and when would Talwin and Col find food again...

Greyhawk

First Post
Let sleeping Gnomes Lie

Seeing his companions leaving Reinhard moves to join them, but the draw of the trapdoor is just too much... He puts down his shield, and with sword in right hand, attempts to tug open the trapdoor with his left. It is dark below but he can see a little from the theatre lights. The trap door opens into a under-stage area, approx 3ft in height. Reinhardt can smell the dust. He can see a pile of rags, a broken vase, and what looks like barrels.. He would have to go down to see more..

"It are a good story little gnomes tell" rumbles Grral approvingly as the play draws to a close, he watches for several minutes expectantly after the gnomes have disappeared then realising the others are moving on turns to catch up, briefly watching as Reinhardt opens the trapdoor then continuing on to the others and into the passage

Grral sees that the tunnel continues north into the darkness...

Col hesitates he doesn't want to miss the action in the corridor but he also wants to know what Reinhardt is doing

Seeing the bulky Grral effectively blocking the tunnel to the left, Mercy decides to take advantage of the cover he affords her, and turns instead to take a look in the room to the right.

"Bah, nowt down there but cobwebs - no kids anyhow.!" says Reinhardt and pausing only to pick up his shield, lets the trapdoor back down and moves to back up Mercy

Sorendal sees Reinhardt dash past and follow Mercy, he decides to assist Grall and moves to the left. He looks over to Reinhardt.. "Whatss the plan.. do Grall an' I guard here while you check the room or do we go on up the corridor ?"

"Go on up the corridor" mutters Col half to himself "We need to find these children urgently, before something nasty happens to them"

"Stay put, we may need your backup, so stay alert!" Reinhardt replies to Sorendal, ignoring Col's comment "Mercy, On you go."

Mercy waits for Reinhardt to catch up and then she follows the tunnel a short way east. It opens into a room. She peers in there are dead rats, broken bits of furniture, and debris litter the floor of this dusty chamber. A torch burns in a sconce between a round cog door and the crudely burrowed tunnel in the west wall.

Suddenly, seemingly from out of thin air, she is attacked. She recognise the creature, a skulk, this skulk however is almost invisible. Although Mercy was aware of their abilities to blend in with their surroundings, this one is different.

"Ha! A chance for Rienhardt to redeem himself!" cries Reinhardt happily "Lets try to get this one alive!"

Mercy somehow dodges the attack. "This one is really well hidden- I can hardly see it! Everyone, keep your eyes peeled! I think we might be due for another bout of sneak attacks!"

"Careful Mercy!" he calls out "That skulk may be diseased!"

"Grral look for invisible Skul-Dug-er-Ees down here make sure not trap us"

says the barbarian "Hmmm... what are invisible Skul-Dug-er-Ee look like?" he asks himself looking puzzled

But the problem is soon overcome as Mercy swings her trusty blade and hits the creature, felling it with 1 blow..

"Damn. I'd like to have questioned a 'special' one. P'raps it was a leader?" comments Reinhardt

Col punches the air "Great work Mercy" he calls out joyfully and starts to hum 'we are the champions'

"What's going on in there, I heard a scream" asks the party gnome.

"An invisible skulk" Col tells him "Perhaps diseased...?"

"Then move up and check that room," the gnome grumbles "I can't see anything from back here"

"Kill the bloody thing and quickly, we don't want an invisible, naked enemy, possibly diseased, at our backs when we go on. Ughh!" advises Col and he moves away and a little way up the West passageway. "You check out the room, my eyesight is quite good, I'll keep watch ahead with my trusty bow" he tells Grral "But I'm sure there's something nefarious under that theatre stage" he mutters to himself.

Sorendal continues to stay alert and wonders exactly 'How alert' you would have to be to spot a near invisible camouflaged creature in the half light of a roughly hewn tunnel before its within range to hit you ...

Talwin moves to examine the door and trips over the skulk "Ugh, who left that there" he exclaims in disgust. Yet again the gnome sees a tiny diamond shaped hole. Also there is a rune burnt into the door. Talwin recognises the rune, it is the letter "U" in the gnomish alphabet.

Giacomo wanders up the left hand corridor "I'll check this area out with you Col." he tells the halfling

Mercy looks at the naked near-invisible creature with clear disgust. Before anyone can stop her, she raises her sword again and brings it down on the revolting creature. She turns away with a nauseous look on her face, glances briefly around the room, then turns and pushes past Reinhardt to follow Col and Giacomo up the left-hand corridor

Col feels his bravado evaporate as the Mage Armour spell wears off. "Time to go back for some lunch?" he asks the others

Grral strides forward down the corridor gazing around aimlessly for invisible enemies while Col follows cautiously at what he hopes is a safe distance.

The party continue cautiously along the Western branch of the rough-hewn corridor and follow it as it heads North. After a long distance a branch leads off to the East while the main passageway still heads North.

Grral and Sorendal venture East and although they find a door with a lever there is nothing else of interest. A passage North from the room heads North but ends in the wall of an East-West passageway that looks part of the gnomish construction. In both directions the passage is blocked by the stout cog-doors. Sorendal hurries back into the room with the lever but pulling it appears to have no effect beyond a grinding of gears from somewhere – neither of the cog-doors open so Grral returns.

Meanwhile the other members of the party continue North and find a room with stairs leading up to a stone throne on which rests an old gnome wearing a crown and carrying a sceptre who is sound asleep. On the landing halfway up the stairs there is a smiling visage with a request for coin to see the king.

Both Col and Mercy donate coins but they seem to have no effect on the sleeping gnome-king but Talwin discovers a secret compartment in the arm of the throne with money and two rods hidden inside.

The gnome does not budge from his slumber. The party look at the two strange rods they found in the secret compartment in the gnomes throne. They bear the symbols "N" and "E". Talwin checks the northern cog door. Its symbol is a "U". He hurries to the southern door. Its symbol is a "N"

Col goes and looks at the rune on the East cog door - he thinks the eastern doors glyph is a "I"

Talwin inserts the small rod into the small diamond shaped hole on the cog door. The door begins to roll open, in the room beyond a short flight of stairs leads up to a seventy-foot-long, thirty foot wide octagonal gallery with a fifteen foot high vaulted ceiling. Twenty web shrouded pedestals stand about the room, and the walls show signs of having once born tapestries and other fixtures. However, the items once displayed here have long since been removed. "Guys you better come and see this" he tells the others

Col gives a little sigh and mounts the stairs again to stand just behind the gnome and looks into the room "Should we wedge the door open?" he asks the gnome, not wanting to be locked away from the others in this hostile place.

"Any tracks in the dust to indicate that children, or anything else, has been this way?" Reinhardt says looking at the dusty floor "'Ware the webs. Who knows what lurks within."

"Wow. This is a wonderfully decadent room." says Giacomo as he wanders into the room gawping at the surroundings. "I wonder if there's anything worth nicking in it."

Mercy gives Giacomo a pained smile and follows the others into the newly opened room "I'm going to see where that corridor goes" she states, and hurries off. Looking at the map, Mercy guesses the corridor she looks down links to the hall with lights they passed through earlier..

Meanwhile Talwin examines the south door. It has the gnomish symbol for the letter J burnt into it.

Reinhardt checks the the door, there are a little diamond holes on each side.

"I think we should search for more keys" sighs Talwin

"We should search, for traces of the children" says Col "And keys, secret doors, food and treasure. But I think we've come the wrong way. There has been no trace of any children having passed this way. We may have to back-track..." he ends almost to himself. "We should stop for a snack soon" he adds in a louder voice "We'll be of no help to the orphans if we collapse from starvation!" Col shrugs, rubs his stomach (to make the point he's hungry) and moves slowly down the Eastern corridor, looking to left and right.

Sorendal walks silently through the room looking at the gaps on the walls, wondering what images once hung there.

"Lead on" says Reinhardt "We accomplish nothing here."

Grral joins the others as they explore the room, and wanders off further down the corridor "If Skull-Dug-er-Ee's took little children, they not be down the passages they make?" he muses as he looks around "Nothing down here" he states confidently

"There were two sets of Skulk tunnels that we didn't try" says Col pensively "They were both up near where we entered and both were to the East. Perhaps we should try one of these?" he pauses and looks around "But I'm sure in my bones that something lurks under the stage" he nags under his breath

Sorendal checks the two doors as he passes them to find out which symbols are on them... Maybe we have the key to one he thinks. If so it would be stupid not to at least have a brief look as we pass…

"The door that you are looking at" calls Col to Sorendal, after consulting the map "Is the other side of the room that used to have the invisible skulk, I think - so we have seen it"

Reinhardt moves forward with Grral, alert for trouble

Sorendal looks at the locksmith's map"Good point Col.. I'll have a look at thiss one insstead " he states as he pirouettes past the warriors and checks the door

"As much as my opinion is worth," Giacomo comments in a grumpy tone "Or indeed heeded, I agree with the general principal of moving on and trying to find the children. We are at the minute not getting anywhere fast. As pretty as these gnomish halls are."

Col nods "My heart tells me that there is something that needs investigation underneath the theatre stage" he says, to Mercy and anyone interested "But my head says that the skulk passages offer the best chance of finding the children. Lady Mercy, my vote is to hurry back to the two unexplored skulk passages near the entry stairs and see if they can move our quest forward". The halfing pauses "And my stomach says we should go back for food, in case anybody is interested..." he adds with a half-smile.

Reinhardt kicks the wall in frustration "Go and look under the damned stage if it pleases you - just quit going on about it."

"I am just a poor, weak halfling" grumbles Col "I doubt I could climb down without help..." he pauses "And certainly not back up again!"

"I think Grral makes a good point" interjects Mercy changing the subject "The skulk tunnels are more likely to lead to the children. Let's go back up to the start of this complex." She pats Col on the shoulder as she passes him. "Don't fret, we can look under the stage if we draw a blank in the skulk tunnels" Col smiles at Mercy and follows he down towards the skulk tunnels

The party move once again to the hall with lights, Sorendal checks one of the cog doors on the way, he recognises its rune as a "Z" in the gnomish alphabet.

As the party make their way back to the early part of the map, Mercy keeps an eye out, trying to spot any lurking skulks (or skulking lurks). "Actually" she ponders "that's a good point, I'm sure I read somewhere about monsters that drop from the ceiling". She looks up nervously.

Col looks around nervously as he follows Mercy towards the unexplored skulk tunnels. "Come on you guys" he whispers urgently "We need to finish this and find the children quickly!"

Grral follows on as the others debate where to go and what to do next, once back in the hall he strides towards and into the unexplored rough hewn tunnel.

"Let me through, Sorendal" Reinhardt says eagerly "My sword is not so long that I could reach a sulk from back here!"

"I'm sorry to bother you Mercy, when you are looking for danger so assiduously but you can't remember when the hotel served lunch can you?" asks Col deferentially "I'm sure we can get there quite fast, and its quite early but, well you know…" "Col" Mercy answers, still looking up as she walks forward "I think it might be a good idea if you ask the kitchen to prepare you some travelling rations to bring with you next time. I do feel you are getting a little distracted from the main objective. I would hate for you to run into trouble just because you were listening to your tummy rumbling"

Col jogs along behind Mercy "You are right of course" he tells her "I just hope I'm strong to carry enough" there is a pause while he catches his breath "Perhaps we will be nipping up to restock soon?"

"I'm with you Mercy." grins Giacomo "Let's advance down the tunnel."

Talwin examines the pillar, searching for any secret compartments and then follows the others as does Grral

Sorendal follows the rest, making sure to leave a space in front of him for Reinhardt to move into..

"These tunnels are oppressive - I much prefer campaigning in the open air." Reinhardt says with a shiver "How soon will be see the blessed light of day?"

The group continue down the hewn passageway. It ends abruptly in a dead end. A 5ft wide hole in the floor is visible.

Mercy moves forward and looks down the hole then sits on the edge, and drops down - the tunnel continues east. Mercy moves aside so that others can drop down and then walks slowly eastwards. The tunnel goes east for only 5ft and Mercy an see it ends with a hole in the ceiling..

Mercy jumps up and pulls herself up so she can see where the hole leads to... She sees a 10ft square room...suddenly she is attacked! Taking her by surprise the skulk pricks her with its rapier.

Col grips his crossbow, determined to 'do his bit' - But only if he can get a bunk-up through the hole in the ceiling...

Greyhawk

First Post
A quick fight

The fight is over quickly, as Mercy (somewhat miffed at being attacked without warning) fells the skulk with one, tremendous blow. She then looks around the small room – empty! She can't believe that the trail has gone cold so quickly! She calls softly to the others and is joined by Reinhardt and Giacomo. The three search the room and examine the walls diligently for secret doors, but without finding any trace of another way out. Mercy shrugs and calls down to the others disappointedly that this is another dead end. Saddened the party turn and head off back they way they had come.

The only unexplored skulk-built passage that they know about is a little way to the North so, after some discussion they head up to explore it. Their hopes of finding the children quickly are beginning to fade and the move slowly and carefully forward heading further and further East. Surely they are moving outside the bounds of the map they took from Keygan, the locksmith, thinks Col.

Remove ads