D&D 5E Tasha’s Lineage System In AL Player’s Guide v10.3 Trading Armor for Weapons/Tools

phoffman

Explorer
The AL players guide doesn't provide an example for trading armor proficiencies for weapons/tools. If anyone has some answers

If your race has proficiency in light armor and medium armor (Mountain Dwarf or Githyanki), can you trade each armor proficiency for 1 weapon?

If you can, is there any reason that you can't trade the "light armor" proficiency while keeping the medium armor proficiency?

Do you always take the 'higher' armor proficiency first when trading for a weapon/tool?

Or is it if you trade your armor proficiency for a weapon you give up all of your racial armor proficiency?

My understanding is that there was a table with the feature you give up in one column and the list of possible features that you gain in return in the other column.

I'm looking at the AL guide, and I don't see armor profs on the chart for being able to swap.

Skill -> skill
Simple weapon -> simple weapon or tool
Martial weapon -> simple/martial weapon or tool
Tool -> tool or weapon

I don't know if it will get clarified. If I had to guess - YMMV - I would think the higher armor would have to go first because of the rules under the armor proficiency feats - you can't take medium without having light proficiency for example. At my table, I would probably let someone swap an armor for a martial/simple/tool proficiency. I go by something John Wick, the game designer, said: what a player puts on their character sheet tells you what kind of game they want to play in.

phoffman

Explorer
the table with Armor proficency swaps is on Page 5 of the 10.3 version (newest) which seems to have a publish date of 10/8

The AL players guide doesn't provide an example for trading armor proficiencies for weapons/tools. If anyone has some answers

If your race has proficiency in light armor and medium armor (Mountain Dwarf or Githyanki), can you trade each armor proficiency for 1 weapon?

If you can, is there any reason that you can't trade the "light armor" proficiency while keeping the medium armor proficiency?

Do you always take the 'higher' armor proficiency first when trading for a weapon/tool?

Or is it if you trade your armor proficiency for a weapon you give up all of your racial armor proficiency?
I would say that you can trade each armour proficiency for a different weapon or tool proficiency.
However you most definitely could not swap out Light Armour proficiency and keep Medium Armour proficiency.

jasper

Rotten DM
Some races and subraces grant skill, weapon, or tool proficiencies. These proficiencies are usually cultural, but your character might not have any connection to the culture in question or might have pursued different training. You can replace each of those proficiencies with a different one, as shown on the Proficiency Swaps table.
Swaps
Skill - Skill
Armor - Simple/martial weapon or tool
Simple weapon - simple weapon or tool
Martial Weapon - Simple/martial weapon or tool
Tool - Tool or Simple weapon
For example, high elf adventurers have proficiency with longswords, which are martial weapons. Consulting the Proficiency Swaps table, we see that your high elf can swap that proficiency for proficiency with another weapon or a tool. Your elf might be a musician, who chooses proficiency with a musical instrument—a type of tool—instead of with longswords. Similarly, elves start with proficiency in the Perception skill. Your elf might not have the keen senses associated with your kin and could take proficiency in a different skill, such as Performance.
The “Equipment” chapter of the PH includes weapons and tools suitable for these swaps.
This is from page 5. if 10.3
I disagree with the Kobold. I think could keep Medium armor and swap out for baking tools. And if you disagree with me NO INTERNET COOKIES!

I still think trading on a 1 for 1 base does the system no justice. I'd allow a two for 1 trade would be still generous, since an elf who is a fighter does not lose anything at all if they swap weapons out for tools...

Remove ads