D&D 5E Tasha: Barbarian Path of Wild Magic should SCALE

Frankie1969

Adventurer
Barbarians, like Rangers, start pretty strong and then flatten out in the early teen levels. The simplest way to compensate for this is for Path features to become progressively stronger at higher levels. Unfortunately, most paths don't do this enough, and Wild Magic is sadly no exception.

However, here's an easy suggestion to fix it. Append this paragraph after the Wild Magic table.
At 10th level, any damage dice stated in the table increase by one die, and do so again at 17th level. Likewise, any distances stated in the table, except for effect 1 (shadowy tendrils), increase by 15 feet at 10th level, and again at 17th level.

Xeviat

Hero
I tend to agree. The barbarians brutal critical is less valuable than it really looks like. Constant advantage from reckless attacking while raging, though, is a big boost to their damage overall, but they don't have the big numbers you'd expect since they don't have a damage boost at 11th like others do. Their subclasses don't offer boosted damage like Battle Master and other fighters do either, though many otter a pretty consistent bonus damage each round ontop of rage.

Base barbarian lines up reasonably against base fighter without fighter's action surge. The barbarian averages out slightly higher at a 65% hit chance, but that's assuming 6 encounters a day. Shorter days, the barbarian will spike faster and peak early, as 3 or 4 rages will carry them through, unless they tend to lose rage more often. I've seen a barb go through 3 rages in one particularly hard fight, so it happens.

Weiley31

Legend
I agree. I hate when a subclass gets like a main gimmick or something like that and it doesn't have any kind of scaling whatsoever.

Yup, this barbarian subclass should become even more ridiculous as it levels up, until it reaches it's capstone, Singularity of Stupidity.

It should also receive bonuses for wearing a red nose and long floppy shoes, and be proficient in custard pie throwing.

Remove ads