D&D 5E Tasha: Now on D&D Beyond, Roll20, Fantasy Grounds

Today's the day that Tasha's Guide to Everything is as a hardcover available in North America. For everybody else, it can be found on various digital platforms for $29.99.

tasha.jpg

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
So previously, I didn't have too much use for feats for my wizards (though observant was often a contender). Looking through the list of new feats, I think that's going to change: Fey Touched (and Fey Teleportation if I'm a high elf), Shadow Touched, Skill Expert, Telekinetic, and Telepathic are all cool feats that can increase intelligence so I'm likely to actually look at feats now, especially if I have an odd ability score.

I'm thinking of picking up Fey Touched for the ranger-swarm keeper I'm planning for my next character to really play up the Fey angle.

I like the ranger alternate features a LOT, with the possible exception of the Favoured Enemy replacement which is just a watered-down version of Hunter's Mark that still requires concentration and only lasts 1 minute.

Deft Explorer is the alternate Natural Explorer feature - at 1st level you get expertise in one skill plus two languages, at 6th you get a 5ft speed increase and a natural climb and swim speed (which is the best bit), and at 10th you can give yourself a few temp hp (which is pretty feeble at that level) and recover from exhaustion faster.

There's three new fighting styles which to be honest probably won't be used much. Learn 2 druid cantrips, 10ft blindsight, or a +2 damage on thrown weapons.

Primal Awareness can replace Natural awareness, as you increase in level you get a bunch of druidy divination/communication spells which you know automatically and can cast once per day each without using spell slots. Speak With Animals, Beast Sense, Speak with Plants, Commune with Nature, Locate Creature. I really like this.

Natures veil can replace Hide in Plain Sight. Bonus action invisibility that lasts to the start of your next turn, proficiency times per long rest. This is a great improvement too.

There's a few spells added to the Ranger list too. Nothing that really stands out to me other than Revivify, but I'm not much of a character optimiser...

I'm pretty much thinking the same way myself - if any of my players wants to make a ranger, I'd definitely have no objections for them using these options. They really make the class much more flavorful and thematic, especially Deft Explorer and Primal Awareness. And Favored Foe, while not exceptionally powerful, is still better than the Favored Enemy it replaces. Yes, it is a watered-down Hunters Mark, but at least it doesn't require using a spell slot...

And, more generally, what is everyone's opinions on the optional class features? Looking through them, I don't really see much that I would consider overpowering for any class, and would probably have no issue with letting players take any (or all) that they would want...

Reading through the book in my haphazard way, I see that the two sorcerer subclasses have additional spells known. Now that they seem to be fine with granting additional spells known for sorcerers, is this something that should be done to provide additional spells known for the other sorcerer subclasses?

Personally, I don't like set spells for sorcerers since it goes against my own perception of their magic being somewhat haphazard rather than all sorcerers of the same bloodline having a small subset of spells in common. However, the two subclasses in Tasha's get around this by allowing them to be replaced with other spells of certain schools. Would this make a good additional optional feature for previous sorcerer bloodlines?
Yes it would. And probably the reason they didn't do it in the book that is already including upgrade features for existing classes, is because they wanted to put it out in the wild and see what happened with it.

So maybe in 2 or 3 years when the next "Everything" comes out we'll get that extended to other sorcerers.

I would have put it in this book because IMO we've waited long enough. If some unintended consequence that makes it problematic shows up, just ban it from Adventurers' League and make a note in Errata that it should be used with care.

Al2O3

Explorer
Reading through the book in my haphazard way, I see that the two sorcerer subclasses have additional spells known. Now that they seem to be fine with granting additional spells known for sorcerers, is this something that should be done to provide additional spells known for the other sorcerer subclasses?

Personally, I don't like set spells for sorcerers since it goes against my own perception of their magic being somewhat haphazard rather than all sorcerers of the same bloodline having a small subset of spells in common. However, the two subclasses in Tasha's get around this by allowing them to be replaced with other spells of certain schools. Would this make a good additional optional feature for previous sorcerer bloodlines?
My impression based on what else the new sorcerers got is that the spells basically used all the room for first level features, with the remaining features mostly being ribbons. So I would not want to see the feature for all sorcerers in a game where aberrant mind or clockwork soul would show up.

On the other hand, I found aberrant mind a complete disappointment for what I wanted it to be, and if I'm ever the DM I would probably default to not allowing clockwork soul for worldbuilding reasons.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I'm really impressed. A lot more options for players here, with no real indication of power creep (that doesn't also benefit existing characters); means that at any given table these options can be used alongside what's come before. (The disappointment with some of the changes from UA versions is a mark that they've gone in the right direction, IMO).

The ranger options look solid and exciting; really good material for fighters and three more solid choices for clerics.

The alternative abilities for rangers do what is needed to make abilities not location-dependent, which opens up options for play. The battle master builds will be a great help to players who have an idea and want guidance for achieving it -- I can see a lot of new players wanting to build battle masters now; and both subclasses are genuinely adding something new to fighters.

Custom Lineage provides a way to start with an 18, for those that want it. That's the biggest question mark a first read gives me; but of course everything is dependent on GM approval.

Gunner Feat is interesting. It ignores the loading property. So multiple bang bang if you chose it. No word if it is going to be Adventure League Legal. But I bet it going to be. So guns will be legal in AL.
No change to the standard equipment list in AL. If you want a gun you will have to find one as loot.

jasper

Rotten DM
He has an uncommon but not rare condition known as Agencyitus. It is related to PTSD, but is most closely associated with being victim of too many debates over player agency.
MY SAVOIR. I have went to doctors, shamans, witch doctors. I have with to Lawyers, RUles lawyers, and Rules Gurus. I went to mugs, thugs, and football fans. But no one would tell me what was wrong with me.
Now send me have your gaming stuff and the cure!

I was rather disappointed with the puzzles section. Practically all of them are some sort of rather tedious letter arranging/counting games based on Latin alphabet and English language. First of, they don't seem mysterious at all... or they might until you realise that you're supposed to count letters of the word 'lion' instead of the animal having some symbolic or thematic significance . And secondly it is rather weird that things like counting how many letters certain English words have or arranging things in alphabetical order would make sense in a fantasy world where the characters are presumably speaking some completely different language and not necessarily even using Latin alphabet. And almost all of them are like this, the writers were totally incapable of thinking anything else.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases